Worst. Modules. Ever.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
I think Berlin by Night had a vampire nazi making vampire snakes who could use reverse-protean to turn into snake men?
I thought it was Setites, with snakes using reverse Serpentis. (Although I admit it's been a really long time since I read it.)

That's also hardly a standout moment. The rest of the thing isn't quite as much like a Saturday morning cartoon as the vampire cobras, but it isn't all that much better, either. And my recollection is that the ending is that the PCs more or less stand around and get shown that the main visible antagonist got defeated by someone else. Which is always awesome.

insomniac

Validated User
never played nor even it myself, but I heard that "Tale of the Comet" went over poorly for D&D fans (pretty sure that's what that one Dragon Nodwick strip was referring to)
It's been a long (long) time since I read it, but ISTR it being pretty good for what it was.

What it was, of course, was an alien vs evil robots war spilling into a D&D world. So. Exactly as cool or lame as that premise sounds to you.

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User
If it was, we all missed the satire back in the day. We took the module at face value for what it claimed to be: a collection of deadly dungeon traps. It was cool to read, but useless to actually use in play.
The drawings made it. The look on the adventurer's faces.

Zasii

Validated User
I forget the name, but there was a Vampire module series where almost the entire first book was spent with the PCs tied and gagged in the back of a truck. I think it even won an Ennie.

DJChallix

Gygaxian Gen-Xer
Validated User
The drawings made it. The look on the adventurer's faces.
Those drawings were, indeed, hilarious. :) I remember that we loved the drawings, and loved the horror of the traps, but just assumed it was all to be played straight. Then again, we were 10 years old, and thought Advanced D&D was "better" than Expert D&D because Advanced was "harder." Sigh.

Aaron Mouritsen

RadioFreeDeath
Validated User
There was mage the Ascension adventure where you have to stop an earthquake spirit from Awakening. Except you find out at the end that even if you had failed some werewolves had already bound it so nothing would happen. So basically an entire adventure with no point. Chaos factor I think?

NeoVid

Nerd Rage Never Fades
Validated User
For Aberrant, in the adventure when there was finally a face-to-face confrontation between the two most powerful superhumans in the setting, the player characters were expected to be present, but not to be allowed to interfere in the fight. Of course, it didn't explain how to prevent them from doing so, as there was a good chance Aberrant PCs would fill out the rest of the top ten most powerful supers in the setting.

DavetheLost

Validated User
There was a Werewolf adventure that had us all howling when the group was magically transported to the mountains "150 miles northwest of Toronto".

Kreuzritter

Validated User
For Aberrant, in the adventure when there was finally a face-to-face confrontation between the two most powerful superhumans in the setting, the player characters were expected to be present, but not to be allowed to interfere in the fight. Of course, it didn't explain how to prevent them from doing so, as there was a good chance Aberrant PCs would fill out the rest of the top ten most powerful supers in the setting.
considering one of them is almost certainly Divis Mal, he reveals one of his arms ("Divis Mal has arms?") and waves dismissively in their general direction

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User
Those drawings were, indeed, hilarious. :) I remember that we loved the drawings, and loved the horror of the traps, but just assumed it was all to be played straight. Then again, we were 10 years old, and thought Advanced D&D was "better" than Expert D&D because Advanced was "harder." Sigh.
I always saw it as a DM's fantasy for snotty players. I don't think I've ever met anyone that actually used one. I'd like to hear from anyone that did.

Top Bottom