• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worst. Modules. Ever.

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Right. Back when those were written, nobody (to my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong) had done any sort of long-term stories with zombies.

I was basing them on the Romeroverse movies, which showed a progression of the world, if not necessarily the same characters from film to film. But they were very much intentionally written to be: "Hey, this is a weird situation, let's make the best of it and DAMMIT ZOMBIES!"

If I'd written those scenarios today, I would probably have them be a little more nuanced, a little more focused on long-term goals (see my book for AFMBE "One of the Living" for examples). But when I was 20, and the only person I knew who loved zombie movies, I just had fun with them. "Zombies come; everybody dies."
Dude, you wrote One of the Living? Nice! That, and All Flesh Must Be Eaten in general, are great resources for zombie stuff. But I appreciate that book especially for looking at how to make AFMBE more than just a series of one-shots in wacky settings.

BMonroe

Validated User
Dude, you wrote One of the Living? Nice! That, and All Flesh Must Be Eaten in general, are great resources for zombie stuff. But I appreciate that book especially for looking at how to make AFMBE more than just a series of one-shots in wacky settings.
I wrote more than half of it, and oversaw the writing of the rest of it. Glad you enjoyed it!

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Nate_MI Nate_MI Do you mean guaranteed TPK? Because even for CoC that doesn't sound fun.
Not guaranteed. This is WW1 so even U-boats run on the surface most of the time so when the Deep Ones force the hatch there's no flooding and depressurization. The monsters are pretty mean, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if they kill everyone on board!

It occurs to me that it would be kind of hilarious to run the counter scenario, a bunch of (teenage, obviously) Deep Ones just messing with submarine crews and driving them stark raving to punish the uppity overworlders.

Gogmagog

Validated User
Not guaranteed. This is WW1 so even U-boats run on the surface most of the time so when the Deep Ones force the hatch there's no flooding and depressurization. The monsters are pretty mean, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if they kill everyone on board!

It occurs to me that it would be kind of hilarious to run the counter scenario, a bunch of (teenage, obviously) Deep Ones just messing with submarine crews and driving them stark raving to punish the uppity overworlders.

Deep One Chavs!

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
ISTR there is a Lovecraft story set in a U-boat. No Deep Ones, but it has evil dolphins.

Sensei

Optimistic Anti-Hero
Validated User
Can I toss out a generalization, rather than name a specific module?
I've seen more adventures than I care to that set up a premise, then seem to wander off in the middle without any guidance for the GM, then come back at the end to point out how things should end up. This always seems done without any regard to which actions may seem sensical or available to the players in the scenario, and involve random situations unrelated to the plot.

As in, the authors set up a solid scenario, like, the PCs are agents who infiltrate a gala of scientists and important governmental folk, looking for info on a secret chemical weapon being designed. The adventure gives a rundown on the NPC personalities at the location, then says something like, 'Let the players mingle.'

The, the write-up of next act starts with something like, "Ok, by now your players should have bested Admiral Poko at cards, woo'd the daughter of General Asterpants, discovered the secret love affair between Lady Morongo and the gardener's evil twin, stolen a spaceship, intercepted and deciphered the message intended for the ambassador of Wonk, and invented the cure for Denabulan rabies. When Act 2 begins..."

And I'm like, whaaaaaa?! How the hell was all that supposed to miraculously happen based on a few lines of NPC description? Were my PCs even supposed to figure out that all this was necessary in their pursuit of info on chemical research? I'm just sayin', a little framework as to how the authors think all this was to go down would be helpful.

Tantavalist

Validated User
That actually sounds like my preferred sort of sandbox scenario- though if I was writing such an adventure for someone else, I'd definitely put in a timeline of how things were going to go down if the PCs did nothing. (Because it's not impossible they will in fact find a way to avoid the plot- bad as they are there are times when you realise why Plot Rails were invented.)

Anyway, this strip came out today and seemed very, very on topic for the thread...

Spoiler: Show

Edit: For the benefit of those who want to know, the strip is "Does Not Play Well With Others" by Michael Poe. Many of the strips are NSFW which is why I didn't post a direct link to the site, but google will get you there easily enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom