Worst. Modules. Ever.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Moderator Text:

Considering 'Chavs' common useage as a derogatory/classist term, I'm going to request avoiding using it, even in jokes

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
While I can't point to any specific one as worst ever, Ravenloft had a really strange trick many of it's modules played: Shortly into it your PCs would be replaced somehow. Maybe you're flesh golems. Or undead. Or dopplegangers. etc. The one that got me was one where you're turned into marionettes as the opening act of a module meant for first level characters. The group I was with put a lot of work into our characters and creating interpersonal connections and specific ideas that could be leaned on for horror. The DM started with that module and the group disbanded in disinterest after three sessions of not playing the characters we made and not wanting to engage with the marionette play.

-Naxuul

g026r

I'm a boat
Validated User
The one that got me was one where you're turned into marionettes as the opening act of a module meant for first level characters.
That sounds like RM2: The Created, which is generally well regarded but I can also completely see how it wouldn't work with some groups.

Though I do have to call out something it does well: at one point early on there is a fight that is potentially plot important. Rather than having it dictated entirely by fiat, the module text tells the DM not to worry & suggests how to adapt to either a successful or unsuccessful outcome. Given how often adventures of the time trended towards "This is how it goes" for these sorts of things, it was nice to see.

Leif

Mountain Ape
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There were 1-2 stories in the comic version that had Conan travel to a land that was pretty much hell on earth with weird monsters, intelligent zombies, inscet cults and so on. Conan was utterly out of his depth there and made a bee line for the border.
Actual Conan is a really smart guy and has the mental flexibility and adaptability to approach a variety of problems effectively. It's just that he's also so good at fighting that "kill a bunch" is often the most effective approach. He also does tend to notice when the most effective approach is to nope out.

BarefootHobbit

psychic dog-walker
Validated User
While I can't point to any specific one as worst ever, Ravenloft had a really strange trick many of it's modules played: Shortly into it your PCs would be replaced somehow. Maybe you're flesh golems. Or undead. Or dopplegangers. etc.
I think that sort of thing can work if the players know about it in advance.

mpswaim

Emo Dad
RPGnet Member
Validated User
While I can't point to any specific one as worst ever, Ravenloft had a really strange trick many of it's modules played: Shortly into it your PCs would be replaced somehow. Maybe you're flesh golems. Or undead. Or dopplegangers. etc. The one that got me was one where you're turned into marionettes as the opening act of a module meant for first level characters.
That could be weirdly amusing if you ran a bunch of those modules back to back.
"You wake up."
"Do we look human?"
"Yes"
"I cut myself. Do I bleed?"
"Yes"
"What color?"

Dagor

Validated User
Actual Conan is a really smart guy and has the mental flexibility and adaptability to approach a variety of problems effectively. It's just that he's also so good at fighting that "kill a bunch" is often the most effective approach. He also does tend to notice when the most effective approach is to nope out.
Makes for an interesting sanity check for fantasy RPGs: "can I actually model somebody like Conan using whatever 'barbarian' template this system uses or suggests?". :)

Reynard

Validated User
Makes for an interesting sanity check for fantasy RPGs: "can I actually model somebody like Conan using whatever 'barbarian' template this system uses or suggests?". :)
"Barbarian" in the Conan sense is much better modeled as a background or heritage/race than class. Conan himself is, in 5e, probably best modeled as a half orc Outlander fighter-rogue.

Top Bottom