Worst. Modules. Ever.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Makes for an interesting sanity check for fantasy RPGs: "can I actually model somebody like Conan using whatever 'barbarian' template this system uses or suggests?". :)
Would be much of proper test since Conan is also Pirate, Thief and late in to his career Thief.
Barbarian class would probably fit Conan at very early stage of his career.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
While I can't point to any specific one as worst ever, Ravenloft had a really strange trick many of it's modules played: Shortly into it your PCs would be replaced somehow. Maybe you're flesh golems. Or undead. Or dopplegangers. etc. The one that got me was one where you're turned into marionettes as the opening act of a module meant for first level characters. The group I was with put a lot of work into our characters and creating interpersonal connections and specific ideas that could be leaned on for horror. The DM started with that module and the group disbanded in disinterest after three sessions of not playing the characters we made and not wanting to engage with the marionette play.

-Naxuul
Feels like they were writing for convention scenarios instead of campaign play. (Which doesn't mean it sucks any less for the latter.)

Quantum Bob

Fear and Loathing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Feels like they were writing for convention scenarios instead of campaign play. (Which doesn't mean it sucks any less for the latter.)
Perhaps that was a way of playing your character in a scenario where s*he is pretty much doomed, without messing with the actual PC. Kinda like forking a PC in Eclipse Phase.

Dagor

Validated User
Castle Greyhawk is one of those things that have (rightfully) been forgotten by the hobby at large.
It also at least made for pretty hilarious reading in places, so it has at least that going for it. Although I'll freely admit that I never examined it particularly closely with an eye towards how it might actually run. :)

Victim

Validated User
Makes for an interesting sanity check for fantasy RPGs: "can I actually model somebody like Conan using whatever 'barbarian' template this system uses or suggests?". :)
Actually, I think it's a pretty poor sanity check.

Yeah, Conan is a lot of things over his career. Conan is also essentially a solo protagonist who has mostly one off supporting characters. Compared to characters in party based RPG set up, he is essentially a party on to himself - a group of characters would end up doing similar stuff using their collective talents as opposed to just Conan being Conan. That's why if you look at Conan stats for RPGs, he tends to look pretty outrageous. For example, in the recent Conan RPG the lowest stat for Conan is the normal maximum. That's a pretty insane thing to use as a sanity check.

Dalillama

Validated User
Barbarian class would probably fit Conan at very early stage of his career.
Not even then. There's basically zero overlap between Conan and any 'barbarian' class I've ever seen. He's a Fighter, maybe a Ranger without any casting cos he has outdoors skills. He can sneak real well, which could be Ranger or Rogue in D&D, but berserk rage was never his bag.

Bira

Validated User
D&D's "dirty secret" is that despite being a game that constantly cites Gandalf and Conan inspiration for characters, it can't represent either of them very well with its rules :).

Top Bottom