Worst. Modules. Ever.

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
The GURPS Conan writeup was...huge, as I recall. A list of skills a mile long. Much better represented, I think, by something akin to "Up To The Challenge" from GURPS Black Ops.

randlathor66

Validated User
Makes for an interesting sanity check for fantasy RPGs: "can I actually model somebody like Conan using whatever 'barbarian' template this system uses or suggests?". :)
Not even then. There's basically zero overlap between Conan and any 'barbarian' class I've ever seen. He's a Fighter, maybe a Ranger without any casting cos he has outdoors skills. He can sneak real well, which could be Ranger or Rogue in D&D, but berserk rage was never his bag.
I would say, that other than a wholly skill-based system like GURPS or Hero System, the only game system that could come close is Rolemaster. Their Barbarian profession would be able to do it pretty closely.

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
D&D's "dirty secret" is that despite being a game that constantly cites Gandalf and Conan inspiration for characters, it can't represent either of them very well with its rules :).
You want a good laugh, find Gygax's Dragon Magazine write-up of Conan for AD&D - he's a multiclassed monstrosity with sky-high stats, double-digit levels, and 'unconscious' psionic powers.

pijodo

Validated User
being a game that constantly cites Gandalf and Conan inspiration for characters, it can't represent either of them very well with its rules :).
Well, I boldly claim that you could build Gandalf's powers by using Cleric spells instead of a mage, which , regarding where "Mage" comes from, opens a whole can of worms itself. except he is not the armored secondary battler. So, maybe Aasimar Theurge mage (still UA, iirc...) ?
Yet we discussed similar in the Unhate Classes thread, where this tangent rather belongs...:)

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Of course you can make Gandalf in D&D! He's a 1st level wizard after all.

"Seriously, you can't cast Knock?"

"Look. That's a spell slot higher than I can cast, okay? Keep looking for the password!" (grumbles quietly, "Stupid burglar, not having lockpicks...")

"It's a magical lock!"

Can work a good Cantrip in his pipe smoke tho! :D

Bira

Validated User
Those messages right there illustrate my point! Gandalf is pretty much the Wizard as far as looks and attitude go, and yet you have to do all sorts of contortions to stat him up in D&D because the meaning of the word "Wizard" is completely different in the game and in the Lord of the Rings (as are the magic systems!).

I guess this would be one of the reasons why proprietary iconic characters became a thing from 3.0 onwards :).

Top Bottom