Worst. Modules. Ever.

Nerag

Cat Fragment
Validated User
For me the one that stands out in my memory was Under a Blood Red Moon for Vampire/Werewolf. I remember my friend, as an experiment deciding that he would run it for us as a group of werewolves, but try to stick to the scenario as much as possible. We started with sensible, characterful werewolves, Bone Gnawers, with street skills... those died within the first scenario, butchered with uzi's filled with silver bullets (seriously it seemed every ghoul, mook and their dog was tooled up with most of the world's silver deposits. It was a fantastically badly railroaded situation 'but Mr Elder werewolf, we know the vampires are in this building can we not set the place on fire, and smoke them out of there?' 'No you must go into this well defended and prepared building as I want confirmed kills for these random NPC vampires' (I'm convinced the werewolf Elders worked for the insurance companies and didn't want to pay out for fire damage to the property).
I think we gave up after our third batch of characters, each dying in quick succession (I think the third iterations had become pure death machines lacking even the basic pretences of character.)
I always had a low opinion of Werewolf (weakest in concept of all the Storyteller games), a horrible hodge-podge of a game, with all the coherence of ideas and tackiness of a shelf in a new age shop; but this scenario just managed to drag it lower (and took vampire screaming down with it).
Heh. I ran Under a Blood Red Moon from the perspective of Vampires and this is essentially what happened. I liked it but from memory I changed things a bit.

RobertEdwards

Validated User
I'll agree with that. I have a copy of FGU Space Opera, and there's some great-looking stuff in it, but it's buried so deep in poorly organized cruft that it's barely salvageable as fluff for another system. I do like the first volume of Seldon's for small craft and merchant ships, but the core rules are migraine-inducing.
AD&D: Worst Initiative Rules EVAR

Space Opera: Hold My Beer

Space Opera Rules stink. Some of the setting material was pretty good for it's time. I can't remember a single Adventure Module that was worth the money I paid for it. Either not interesting or required an insane amount of Development. Or was Martigan Belt and was completely incoherent. Martigan Belt was sold as an Asteroid belt adventure, but the actual adventure is set on a planet.

JohnBiles

Validated User
For me the one that stands out in my memory was Under a Blood Red Moon for Vampire/Werewolf. I remember my friend, as an experiment deciding that he would run it for us as a group of werewolves, but try to stick to the scenario as much as possible. We started with sensible, characterful werewolves, Bone Gnawers, with street skills... those died within the first scenario, butchered with uzi's filled with silver bullets (seriously it seemed every ghoul, mook and their dog was tooled up with most of the world's silver deposits. It was a fantastically badly railroaded situation 'but Mr Elder werewolf, we know the vampires are in this building can we not set the place on fire, and smoke them out of there?' 'No you must go into this well defended and prepared building as I want confirmed kills for these random NPC vampires' (I'm convinced the werewolf Elders worked for the insurance companies and didn't want to pay out for fire damage to the property).
I think we gave up after our third batch of characters, each dying in quick succession (I think the third iterations had become pure death machines lacking even the basic pretences of character.)
I always had a low opinion of Werewolf (weakest in concept of all the Storyteller games), a horrible hodge-podge of a game, with all the coherence of ideas and tackiness of a shelf in a new age shop; but this scenario just managed to drag it lower (and took vampire screaming down with it).
I do not remember encountering so much silver when we did it with a group of... mostly werewolves. Our Totem Spirit was actually a Nosferatu PC and the rest of us didn't realize and my character was basically Ranma from Ranma 1/2. And we had a nigh-unkillable Mokole. We had a lot of fun and turned the Prince into kibble.

But I haven't seen the text in literally years. I have a feeling your GM may have railroaded you.

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
If this is the Space Opera I recall, the rules were so complicated as to be unplayable.

That is to say, unplayable by one Cerulean Lion. YMMV.
I remember reading the game, and also co-author Phil McGregor's zines in Alarums & Excursions at the time, and thinking, "It's possible that he may someday encounter a potential rules complication he doesn't like, but I won't hold my breath waiting." Good move, teenaged me.

DocShoveller

both a doctor and a fox
Validated User
Playing it from the Camarilla perspective, the whole adventure is just a series of cut scenes where you arrive too late to prevent [NPC x] from being killed. It's kind of the Avatar Trilogy of cWoD.

General Fishsticks

Tribune of the Plebs
Validated User
I do not remember encountering so much silver when we did it with a group of... mostly werewolves. Our Totem Spirit was actually a Nosferatu PC and the rest of us didn't realize and my character was basically Ranma from Ranma 1/2. And we had a nigh-unkillable Mokole. We had a lot of fun and turned the Prince into kibble.

But I haven't seen the text in literally years. I have a feeling your GM may have railroaded you.
Oh that was the intention, over the years we'd mocked many a scenario or module for being railroaded and absurdly overpowered; but that was more assumption than anything proven. We'd particularly mocked UABRM as it read like the worst kind of cheese, which is why it was chosen for our diabolical experiment; the whole plan was to run the game as written - we knew it was probably going to turn out to be absurdly awful - but the plan was to test our assumptions. So my friend who GM'ed set out to run the game as close as possible to how it was written. The horrible character bloodbath, combined with the constant denial of player agency rather proved our point.

I suspect your GM was doing his or her utmost to tone down the ridiculousness (and allow you agency) :)

It's been over 20 years since that particular experiment...

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I can confirm from digging up and looking at the book that basically every ghoul in it has guns with silver bullets, including a particularly ludicrous basement attack against a vampire who's awake in the daytime because he's hopped up on meth, and his two uzi-toting ghouls, which you do while some kids are chained to a wall in the room because this vampire pumps kids full of meth and then eats them because he's soooo eeeeevil. His haven also has a booby-trap and is alarmed.

Anything "Knights and Legends" related.

I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with the game's creator on reddit where I learned of this system.

Beyond the horribly written core rules (english as a second language only goes so far as an excuse) that simply don't work or are flat out missing (I don't know how anyone could potentially have fun with it as it practically requires calvinballing for basic functionality), the adventures are unsalvageable trainwrecks of railroaded experiences, if the one "actual play" i found is to be believed.

Top Bottom