• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Worst. Modules. Ever.

cloa513

Validated User
"Horribly bland" or "Completely missing the point of the game they're supposed to be a module for" are also points that come up quite often in the thread. But they're less likely to come up as horror stories as yours, true.
How about missing critical details that make incredibly hard for the DM to actually use it- certainly maybe a supplemental badness aspect.

Stingray

Validated User
"Dragonhunt" for Shadowrun is pretty bad. While the general idea and plot outline are fine, all the details make the module really aggrevating:

NPCs are stupid and incomeptent, yet powerful and omnipotent. There are several antagonists and that scenario, that are to be portrayed as so powerful, that they know the adresses of all runners, the real life names and their personal history. Several, independent factions are portrayed that way. They show up in the PCs homes (typical stereotype of someone already sitting on your couch, when you get back home), wreck their shit as a warning (instead of just killing the Shadowrunners, which would be justified, given the circumstances) and are supposed to just waltz out there, expecting the PCs to just let them leave.
At the same time, some of these NPCs act contrary to their portrayed level of super-professionalism and mistake the PCs for people on their own side. Just because the PCs show up and ask questions that they should now the answer to, if they were on the same side of the NPCs. The module even acknowledges this by saying, the NPC is having a brainfart (my wording, of course). Lazy, lazy writing.

Maps are absolutely unreadable. This could be a problem with the German version of the module and maybe is not present in the original, but the lines for doors/walls are exactly the same style and color as the lines for the square-grid tiles. I have no idea, where a room ands and another one starts. There are about 10 maps in this module, all with the same problems.

A large amount of railroady "Nope" with the Gamemaster supposed to portray a scene in a way, where resistance would mean almost certain death, but at the same time, the module expects the players to voluntarily attack a force, that is portrayed as even stronger.

Ludecrous amount of enemies. The author should have just said "nope, the characters can't do this, because i say so" instead of coming up with laughable opposition.
I kid you not, these numbers are is in the module:
A nightclub does not have a troll bouncer. He has four of them.
A 4 level building has 24 security guards.
An NPC is taken into custody of Knight Errant, who want to interrogate him in some remote location instead of some security facility. Well, fine deniability, whatever. The NPC is guarded by 6 guards. Also fine. If the Runners trigger an alarm, 40 more guards show up.

The main plot revolves a NPC, which the antagonists are looking for. But the location of this NPC has been in the local news at the beginning of the module. This. makes. no. sense.

Again, the general premise is fine and the module is salvagable. But the amount of lazyness in an otherwise good story and the amount of work i need to put into this to prevent my players from constantly questioning my sanity or cababilities as a GM are staggering.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
The thing with judging adventure modules is I find the bad ones all seem to have at least 1 of 2 things in common, either 1. they contain tasteless/inappropriate/hateful content, or 2. the provide the PC with little to no sense of agency.
As an extension of 2: modules that allow the PCs agency, but give them no reason to engage with the plot or any NPC.

Bira

Validated User
Four bouncers doesn't seem unreasonable for a large nightclub, though the others do sound a bit exaggerated. Being a child of the 90's, Shadowrun is rife with Elminster Syndrome: tons of invincible immortal NPCs who exist so the authors can gloat about their power to the GM, and the GM can repeat that to the players. Also a pernicious notion that the PCs can never actually be cool, most often expressed as the idea that no cool character from similar media could ever be statted as a PC.

Dave999

Validated User
I wonder if the old saw has been repeated in this thread:

Most game designers aren't game designers but frustrated novelists.

Top Bottom