• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WotC] D&D Fortune Cards

MetaDude

Married to a Scientist!
Validated User
Well, I know I wouldn't permit their use in my campaign. It's obvious that each of them provides only benefits, and no drawbacks. I vastly prefer Whimsy Cards, which are, overall, neutral in balance, and have utility outside of combat.

Novatian

Validated User
Not at my table.

Ever since the old AD&D 2e trading cards, I just haven't liked mixing randomized cards with my D&D stuff (power cards from the CB, on the other hand, have been just fine). I suppose these things might be fun at D&D organized play events, but I've never been to one of those.

Rolzup

Dinoczar
Validated User
Well, I know I wouldn't permit their use in my campaign. It's obvious that each of them provides only benefits, and no drawbacks. I vastly prefer Whimsy Cards, which are, overall, neutral in balance, and have utility outside of combat.
Dear god, that's pretty much exactly what I was going to post.

Something like Whimsy Cards -- I came up with my own variation a few years back -- is fantastic, especially as they avoid any specific game mechanics.

"Tables Turn", and it's up to you to decide exactly what that means. Some of the best moments of my longest-running game were because of players using Whimsy Cards.

The WoTC cards seem kinda...blah, really. Ah, well, at least they look nice.

Old Guy

Retired User
WotC = Wheel out the Cash!

I'm all for a company making money but I much prefer it when they make a product to fill a need instead of inventing a need to support a new product.

As to the product itself... Not impressed.

Wirebrain

Rating: Epicly Ordinary
Validated User
My stance, that of finding it a clunky method to put a $4+ tax on particular D&D community events, remains the same when this was called the "Gamma World Booster" debate.

I can happily say with a straight face here that unlike GW, which did require an deck or a table to use one of its key features, these cards truly are incredibly minor and not required to play and enjoy D&D to its fullest beyond any event foolish enough to make a new card purchase part of the entry price.

However, I'm pleased to see that art seems to be included (and I hope it to be unique per card) and that possibly rarity might actually mean something here other than a veiled attempt to force completists to buy more packs. I hope the same goes for the card stock, which in GW was rather shoddy.

If they eventually release a full box set of cards for a whole group to go through, I might be inclined to buy a set. Until then, a begrudging customer is still a customer so I won't buy these boosters.

Miss Atomic Bomb

Welcome to your life. There's no turning back.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I can't believe there isn't already a thread on this.
http://www.wizards.com/WPN/Sales/Article.aspx?x=fortune_cards_shadows

I don't know how I feel about it. On one hand it provides an interesting twist to game play. On the other hand, you can seemingly make your character much more powerful by spending a fortune (pun intended?) on cards and building an optimized deck.
TORG-y. But given my tendency to crank these kind of things out myself, I don't know if I'll be buying any.

Owlbear Camus

Autothrusters engaged!
Validated User
Yeah, the only way I could see using them is in a big-ol communal deck. I wouldn't let one dude show up with his "tuned" fortune deck and anotherr with his "bare" character.

Honestly, though, I don't see what they would add to my home games, so yeah. I can sympathize with WotC trying to find more ways to monotize D&D into different products for us to buy, but... this doesn't do it for me.

For my money, stick with the meat-and-potatoes. Give me more quality adventures, and throw in some counters Monster-Vault/DMK style, and you'll get some more of my gaming dollahs.

RadioKen

well versed in chalupa law
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, Rewards Cards: Fortune Cards :: offline CB: online CB?

Top Bottom