• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WotC] D&D Fortune Cards

Owlbear Camus

Autothrusters engaged!
Validated User
On second thought, maybe that's not the case, and here's why:

DMs buy counter packs. Fortune cards are targeted at players. We all know which group is larger. Whether players can be convinced to buy the cards is another matter entirely.
I think it's a tough sell from the player side. I mean if I'm a player who wants to buy fortune cards I have to get the DM to sign off on it first and foremost, and he's probably going to wonder what the other players will think of my character getting a small but tangible boost because I purchased something extra from WotC.

I guess it would be an easier sell for everyone if you just bought a case and shared them with the other players.

MrMyth

Retired User
Rather disappointing. I can see times and ways I'd use them - as mentioned, similar to PCs having reward cards, or handing out die bumps or the like - but I was really hoping for something innovative that had some random chance to it, rather than just being some free bonus powers.

Joe_G_Kushner

Validated User
M'eh.

Almost twice the price of a magic deck per card.

Mandatory use in 'official' games.

Randomized elements for completists.

and yet still no digital versions of the books, no digital versions of the maps, no digital versions of the counters and I could be missing it, but no information on what the next mini set will be.

WoTC looks me straight in the eye and says, "Really, it's not your money we need. It's those kids over there. No really. Their parents have money you see and will spend it to keep them quite."

VaticanT

Self-Abusive GM
M'eh.

Almost twice the price of a magic deck per card.

Mandatory use in 'official' games.

Randomized elements for completists.

and yet still no digital versions of the books, no digital versions of the maps, no digital versions of the counters and I could be missing it, but no information on what the next mini set will be.

WoTC looks me straight in the eye and says, "Really, it's not your money we need. It's those kids over there. No really. Their parents have money you see and will spend it to keep them quite."
I spend A LOT more money on games as an Adult than my parents did when I was a kid...

Owlbear Camus

Autothrusters engaged!
Validated User
It occurs to me that they are basically attempting to sell a random table entries at 50 cents per result. And God love 'em if they can monetize D&D that way, but I'm not buying.

Last edited:

privateer

Initiate
Validated User
I think it's a tough sell from the player side. I mean if I'm a player who wants to buy fortune cards I have to get the DM to sign off on it first and foremost, and he's probably going to wonder what the other players will think of my character getting a small but tangible boost because I purchased something extra from WotC.

I guess it would be an easier sell for everyone if you just bought a case and shared them with the other players.
Player A drops $40 on the latest splatbook with an uber class/race combo/magic item/whatever. Maybe he shares the book with his buddies or he doesn't.

Player B drops $40 on fortune card boosters and gets some uber benefits during gameplay. Maybe he shares the cards with his buddies or he doesn't.

Both require GM/Group acceptance I would think.

privateer

Initiate
Validated User
...and yet still no digital versions of the books, no digital versions of the maps, no digital versions of the counters...
Not like I'm in the know but it seems like WOTC is trying to bolster brick and mortar transactions. Counter-piracy talk aside, they seem to believe LGSs are useful in promoting the game and don't want to undercut them (e.g., Wednesday Night Encounters, no digital stuff).

It reminds me very much of Hasbro (or Parker Brothers?) Family Game Night commercial gig that used to be in commercials.

Owlbear Camus

Autothrusters engaged!
Validated User
Player A drops $40 on the latest splatbook with an uber class/race combo/magic item/whatever. Maybe he shares the book with his buddies or he doesn't.

Player B drops $40 on fortune card boosters and gets some uber benefits during gameplay. Maybe he shares the cards with his buddies or he doesn't.

Both require GM/Group acceptance I would think.
Not exactly, since one is access to more variety, where as the other is access to options/powers above and beyond simple variety. An access to "more stuff" when you still have the same basic number of slots to pick options as others is different to mind than access to "more stuff" where you get it over and above the number of options available to others.

So the guy who drops money on Martial Power 2 can play a brawler fighter, while his buddy might end up making a guardian fighter because he doesn't have MP2. The game is structure is such that they are relatively "equal" in play. As a DM, I can be largely agnostic about the details of exactly what class/build people are within a given role, since they're all meant to shake out roughly the same in play.

Contrast with the guy who buys just enough of these "fortune card" things to build his own deck, while the rest of the table abstains. If I let him play with his little card things, he has a small but measurable boon that is a qualitative difference, rather than just a "breadth of choice" difference.

So yeah, the card thing probably isn't happening at my table. I might consider it if you're "bringing enough for to share with the class."

EDIT: Upon consideration, I'd grant there are a few supplements that do offer something that is just flat out "better" than what came before it, immediately coming to mind, the superior weapons from AV and the difference between pre- and post- Divine Power paladins. At my table it's a non-issue since every player is welcome to use my character builder installs and have access to all that stuff.

Last edited:

Thraug

Validated User
I was planning on buying and using these in my game, but now that I see they are only boons and they are essentially mini-powers I will definitely disallow them, mostly because combats are already loaded with all sorts of conditional bonuses, penalties, boosts, buffs, situations etc. Our combats are already slow, and our players already mull over powers and tactics so much it's detrimental to play. WOTC, if you're listening, I would gladly buy boosters that could build a deck of random combat events, where one card is pulled at the start of every combat and lasts the duration of the combat. The deck could be built from player (boon) and GM (calamity) cards.

Last thing my group needs is more twiddlers to look over every round. Sheesh, please nooooooo! :)

privateer

Initiate
Validated User
On Gamma World tangent,

For the upstream references to GW cards, because it has to be said again: the base game comes with enough cards to play w/o every buying a single booster.

That said, you can buy some sick mutation and equipment cards through boosters. Of course, a couple of Parn Sword Beetles or a single Eradicator Mk3 will help whittle down the card chasers :)

In another thread, one LGS owner had GW booster packs high in his top RPG sales items for 2010. Anecdotal but interesting.

Wondering if more CCG is on the way beyond Fortune Cards?

Top Bottom