WotC halts sale of pdf's through RPGNow/DriveThruRPG

Wil

Rivetgeek
Validated User
If so, it's a pretty crappy way of doing it. If this is carried through, people who have paid money for p[roducts will not be allowed to get the full use out of their products-- in the worst case, say someone who bought and didn't DL immediately, they'll get NO use out of those products.
1. that might be illegal. don't know about that, but I can see civil suits.
2. It'll show up on the top ten list of "why piracy isn't bad" under: Well they screw US.
I'm not saying it's right, but the PDFs on the filesharing sites had to come from somewhere. Realistically, WoTC would be stuck between a rock and a hard place. DRM didn't work for the PDFs, so they had to remove it...and then a small number of people who paid for the product decided to give it away for free, and now the PDFs are everywhere. WoTC only did what my wife and I do to our kids - if someone doesn't fess up to something, they all get punished.

Kastor Krieg

Harano
Validated User
A DtRPG rep quoted in the linked WotC thread:

"We no longer represent the publisher and they have asked us to remove their products from our database and to no longer sell or provide downloads for them. Unfortunately I don't have any more information available."

The user asking was told that RPGNow/DtRPG will probably try to refund people who never downloaded their ordered stuff. What about the consumers who didn't use up their download limits, WotC, huh? I hope WotC gets sued to hell and back again if they don't follow up with staisfying refunds on that. Shame that it's gonna hit DtRPG guys, they didn't deserve it. I was thinking about buying the tripack of 4E in hardcover. Fuck like I'm gonna do that now, after such a move by WotC.

:mad:

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
I'm not saying it's right, but the PDFs on the filesharing sites had to come from somewhere. Realistically, WoTC would be stuck between a rock and a hard place. DRM didn't work for the PDFs, so they had to remove it...and then a small number of people who paid for the product decided to give it away for free, and now the PDFs are everywhere. WoTC only did what my wife and I do to our kids - if someone doesn't fess up to something, they all get punished.
Problem is, that's in general illegal. You cannot use civil procedures, or changes in contract law to punish someone who hasn't violated the terms of the contract. IANAL, bu7t this is one of the big things Harvard Law is using against the RIAA.
The DO have the right to stop sales now. But the sticky part comes in stopping the downloads of already purchased products. If you do that, you've broken a contract and while AFAIK it's still a wiggy part of law, it could open both Drive Thru and WOTC to suits for fraud. This is especially true when you consider that the pdf market is an international market and alot of other nations are abit more skeptical about US piracy claims.

kafkonia

Critical Failure
Validated User
Huh. I was going to buy some of their out of print pdfs, chiefly out of curiosity. Guess I won't be doing that now. So that's money in my pocket and out of theirs.

The Great Jefepato

Validated User
Before WotC ever sold products as PDFs, people were simply scanning the books and putting the scans on filesharing sites. Those PDFs were everywhere then, too.

At most, selling the products as PDFs causes them to hit filesharing sites a few days sooner.

xiaolung

It's all in the reflexes
Validated User
I tried finding the Terms of Use on the DTRPG site but couldn't find them.

If WotC and DTRPG do not come to some agreement regarding already purchased downloads, it could have a chilling effect on PDF purchases as a whole. Who wants to purchase something online without the possibility of a backup just in case?

Then again, why are there people out there who purchase a PDF and don't download as soon as possible? I don't understand that one.

Kastor Krieg

Harano
Validated User
Huh. I was going to buy some of their out of print pdfs, chiefly out of curiosity. Guess I won't be doing that now. So that's money in my pocket and out of theirs.
If "their" stands for RPGNow / DtRPG, please do not blame them. If it stands for WotC, please keep bashing their skulls in, thank you and have a nice day! ;)

Mailanka

Honest Eshu
Validated User
You can get copies of pirated PDFs that never went online for sale as a PDF. It's harder, especially for obscure titles, but I've heard of cases where a pirated PDF went online before the hard copy had even hit the streets. Given D&D's enormous popularity, even if WotC stops all sales of all PDFs, it won't curb piracy. It'll just curb sales. I'm sure they know this.

While this might have something to do with piracy, I suspect it has more to do with a general strategy to increase WotC's piece of the pie. WotC is trying very very hard to turn RPGs into big bucks, something I applaud heartily, and I've been very pleased with their strategy thus far. I'm not sure where they're going with this, but I expect it involves consolidating who is selling their PDFs and how much they're getting for them.

Suudo

Validated User
Why do I suspect this has something to do with attempting to curb piracy of WoTC products in PDF format? Torrent sites are full of all manner of D&D PDFs, usually within days of their being released.
The files will be up on the sites regardless.

The key to successfully fighting piracy is to make sure not to harm the paying customer, as many PC game development companies are finding out with the backlash against DRM stuff.

Top Bottom