• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

WotC halts sale of pdf's through RPGNow/DriveThruRPG

oktoberguard

Validated User
as far as i can tell, tsr/wotc titles are still available for purchase at the paizo store. all of my previously purchased titles are available for download as well.

Armitage

Validated User
While this might have something to do with piracy, I suspect it has more to do with a general strategy to increase WotC's piece of the pie. WotC is trying very very hard to turn RPGs into big bucks, something I applaud heartily, and I've been very pleased with their strategy thus far. I'm not sure where they're going with this, but I expect it involves consolidating who is selling their PDFs and how much they're getting for them.
First, they terminated Paizo's contract for Dungeon and Dragon, becoming the only source for official D&D "magazines".

Then, they terminated Code Monkey's contract for E-Tools, becoming the only source for official character generation software.

Now...

Will

Banned
WotC's policies regarding PDFs (in various respects) and availability of content (such as OGL) have pretty much ensured I will never buy their products again.

Well, unless they change back, but I don't see that happening.

Including friends who'd buy stuff if I did, that's a loss of several hundred (maybe thousands) in sales from this corner. No idea if we're representative at all.

AndyGuest

This. Mostly "help RPGnow and DriveThru to get through this shitstorm". "Fuck WotC" can wait until we're sure that it's a WotC deliberate fuckup and just not sth that got de-synched when they began rolling with it. Maybe, for example, they were supposed to give an alternative today and something went wrong? Let's wait and see.

But if it's just the corporates going "we don't give a flying one about DriveThru and their customers", then fuck them until they bleed. And then some.
With respect to DTRPG and RPGnow, both of whom I've bought many products from, I won't be buying anything more from either site if the re-downloads could be pulled by any company at any time.

Charlequin

Conflagrant punchinello
I don't really see any reason to give WotC the benefit of the doubt on this move, or to "wait and see" where they're going with it. It's pretty unambiguously consumer-unfriendly (removing, possibly in an illicit fashion, paid-for access to redownloads), it seems pretty clearly intended to strengthen WotC's ability to use bull-in-a-china-shop tactics to "fight" piracy and artificially prop up retail outlets with other consumer-unfriendly tactics (like the bullshit with their new limited-run, retailer-bribe Magic "From the Vault" products)... :mad: WotC's current management is clearly actively disinterested in maintaining a positive customer relationship, so I see no reason to be particularly interested in reciprocating.

If DTRPG's response is "we didn't think WotC could do that either, but they're insisting they can and we can't fight it" I can't really blame them for not feeling like the fight is worth their money, but if their stance is that a departing publisher can normally request to end redownloads and they'll just okay it I'm not too happy with them either.

ADamiani

Will GM For Food
Validated User
This. Mostly "help RPGnow and DriveThru to get through this shitstorm". "Fuck WotC" can wait until we're sure that it's a WotC deliberate fuckup and just not sth that got de-synched when they began rolling with it. Maybe, for example, they were supposed to give an alternative today and something went wrong? Let's wait and see.

But if it's just the corporates going "we don't give a flying one about DriveThru and their customers", then fuck them until they bleed. And then some.
Have they earned the benefit of the doubt?

J. Strange

o< HEY LOOK I'M A DUCK
Validated User
I'm not saying it's right, but the PDFs on the filesharing sites had to come from somewhere.
When the three 4E core books were released, there were torrents of them available before the books went on sale, and they were leaked from inside WotC. They were apparently PDF proofs of the final layouts.

Last edited:

Wil

Rivetgeek
Validated User
When the three 4E core books were released, there were torrents of them available before the books went on sale, and they were leaked from inside WotC.
So what about the more recent books? I'm sure that if I looked, I'd find whichever the latest and greatest book was (PH2 or something, right?) as well, and not a scan but a dewatermarked PDF.

ADamiani

Will GM For Food
Validated User
So what about the more recent books? I'm sure that if I looked, I'd find whichever the latest and greatest book was (PH2 or something, right?) as well, and not a scan but a dewatermarked PDF.
Well, yeah, piracy will presumably follow the path of least resistance; that doesn't mean this will actually dissuade pirates or make a meaningful dent in the availability of pirated content.

Top Bottom