• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

WotC halts sale of pdf's through RPGNow/DriveThruRPG

Brad J. Murray

VSCA
RPGnet Member
Validated User
No - it's trademark/trade dress infringement, which becomes industrial property,
which then becomes theft. US law (and through international treaties, much of
the international law follows suit) treats trademarks as property, and as such,
when misappropriated, becomes theft. Ferrari and GM (and others) have sued to
protect their trademark (shape, logos, name, etc.)
You don't sue to redress theft. It's a criminal charge with criminal prosecution. You might sue as well, but the primary redress is criminal. And that's not what happens with trademark infringement. It can happen with theft of trade secrets (industrial espionage), however.

Wil

Rivetgeek
Validated User
Mandatory is stretching it. Nobody goes to prison for stealing a pack of bubblegum.
In California you can serve up to 3 years in state prison or a year in county on the second,third or fourth offense or a year in and it's a felony. And that's for petty theft.

Littleredfox

Validated User
You cannot drive a car.
I can you know. I have a nice pink bit of paper which says the British Government thinks I might be able to do it safely.

Incidentally it is possible to take a car without the owners consent and it not be theft.

So there is no reason to argue magically duplicating the car is theft. Taking a car isn't always theft.

Ratehr than try and tie copyright infringment to theft or piracy, you might do better to read Macaulay's contribution to the debates on the copyright act. He had a lid out a reasonable understanding of what copyright was in the 1840's.

Not much has changed.

hawklord

Retired User
In California you can serve up to 3 years in state prison or a year in county on the second,third or fourth offense or a year in and it's a felony. And that's for petty theft.
i think pirates should be made to walk the plank. Give them a taste of their own medicine

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So it took about 9 days all in all for a fully scanned, searchable, & bookmarked scan of the book to hit the torrent sites (& i kinda expect it will take less in the future, fue to getting organized).

David J Prokopetz

Social Justice Henchman
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So it took about 9 days all in all for a fully scanned, searchable, & bookmarked scan of the book to hit the torrent sites (& i kinda expect it will take less in the future, fue to getting organized).
No doubt. A few years back, the average turnaround time for a 3E product was around seventy-two hours, and the available tech has only improved since then.

Top Bottom