💀 Necro Wow: a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxset!

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
A "coming soon" page is up on SJG's website, with a few more details. 11 professions, 9 races, 80+ monsters, 400+ spells.

Phil Reed answers a few questions over at Ballistic. The box will have 5 books (Adventurers, Monsters, Exploits, Spells, and something else), cardboard heroes + stands, a combat map, and dice (3d6). If the KS succeeds, it will show there's enough demand for them to start supporting RPG products in print, again.

In the thread over at SJG's forums Reed mentions that Adventurers will be the longest book, at 128 pages.

Last edited:

Scurrilous

Validated User
Paradigm Concepts excellent Rotted Capes already does zombies and supers, and without GURPS Supers problematic power issues.
How that affects what SJG puts out as an GURPS introductory set kickstarter is beyond me.

I am stoked that there may be a Space Opera box one day.

0Megabyte

Stardust Princeling
Validated User
So here's a question for y'all GURPS fans: How does GURPS Lite, which is apparently what this is based on, run? How's Dungeon Fantasy, the previous edition?

Basically, sell me on the core concept of the stuff that already exists, considering I'm already lightly disposed to getting this box depending on price.

Scurrilous

Validated User
So here's a question for y'all GURPS fans: How does GURPS Lite, which is apparently what this is based on, run? How's Dungeon Fantasy, the previous edition?

Basically, sell me on the core concept of the stuff that already exists, considering I'm already lightly disposed to getting this box depending on price.
GURPS Lite is pretty complete for realistic stuff. Some people really hate it for not covering magic, races, or monsters. But it's free and it's damn good. Really, for most campaigns you should hand the players GURPS Lite not Basic Set Volume One.

0Megabyte

Stardust Princeling
Validated User
GURPS Lite is pretty complete for realistic stuff. Some people really hate it for not covering magic, races, or monsters. But it's free and it's damn good. Really, for most campaigns you should hand the players GURPS Lite not Basic Set Volume One.
So the basic set isn't basic? What's the version currently out in print, I guess, the "core books"?

MrTim

Validated User
So the basic set isn't basic? What's the version currently out in print, I guess, the "core books"?
That would be the Basic Set, which is actually just two books: GURPS Basic Set: Characters and GURPS Basic Set: Campaigns. They let you do 90% of just about anything, but with little to no guidance on how to finagle the rules to get more esoteric settings to work and fairly minimal equipment lists. GURPS Lite is a free download that's currently not available in print, and it gives you a 32-page overview of the system that handles, as Scurrilous stated, mostly realistic settings without a lot of the more detailed and specific rules.

Last edited:

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
The Dungeon Fantasy box is "Powered by GURPS". This is code for "it's a complete game in itself", not a supplement that needs the Basic Set. Previous PbG products included Discworld, Hellboy, Transhuman Space and so on. Each contained a version of GURPS Lite as the core set of rules, with the extensions needed for that particular setting. For instance, the version of GURPS Lite in Transhuman Space has advantages that are important to a posthuman world, like sanitized metabolism and microscopic vision, which the ordinary GURPS Lite did not.

So presumably, GURPS Lite is the core set of rules for the new DF, with a lot of extensions targeted at the specific genre. But while some of those extensions aren't in the 2 GURPS Basic Set volumes (like those 400+ spells, which are coming from GURPS Magic), they're being (re)written to the much slimmer (32 page) GURPS Lite, not to the almost 700 page "core rules" of the 2 GURPS Basic Set volumes, which cover nearly everything.

Note that GURPS Lite is the core of the game. It's not a simplified kiddy version, like many quickstarts. It's really GURPS, just GURPS without all the insane number of options contained in the full Basic Set. GURPS is a pretty simple game, at heart.

Last edited:

Particle_Man

White Knight
Validated User
Interestingly, Gurps Lite for 3rd edition has a few rules for magic (and a few spells) that Gurps Lite for 4th edition does not, but the magic rules are close enough that you could get by with the 3rd edition GURPS Lite rules.

Top Bottom