💀 Necro Wow: a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxset!

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
What people new to GURPS need to keep in mind:

Other games, such as D&D or Pathfinder (especially appropriate here), tend to come with the default of "all options in the basic rules are available to player characters". Oh, sure, the DM can always disallow certain classes or races, but the default assumption is that the players can use everything.

This is not at all true for GURPS - the GM absolutely must prune the stuff that isn't appropriate for the campaign, or at least give their players a good understanding of what the campaign is all about and then veto any character concepts that aren't appropriate.

I mean, technically the rules do allow you to take Social Status 7 and play the king of the land. The option is there, in the Basic Set, because there are some games where this is appropriate. But for the vast majority of games it isn't. And GMs need to be aware of that, and learn to say "no".

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is essentially GURPS, pre-pruned for D&Desque dungeon-delving fantasy. There aren't actually that many new rules that aren't in the Basic Set (plus GURPS Magic) - it's basically about distilling down the staggering range of options for GURPS into something suitable and manageable for this particular genre. And then they added a whole bunch of templates so that it is easier to come up with new characters.

dbm

Validated User
The 'something else' is probably the core rulebook.
The blurb on the product page ends by saying "All this power guarantees epic games in no time . . . starting with the new adventure that comes in the box!" so my money is on the fifth book being a 64 page dungeon module.

This is really what the box needs in my opinion - a fully worked example of how to do a dungeon with GURPS.

Marius B

Euro-Trash
Validated User
I didn't even know I wanted this but I want it.

(Although I still want Vehicles and a compiled bestiary more ...)

Mostlyjoe

is plotting your doom.
Validated User
Wow, I unloaded my old GURPS books as well because I couldn't find anyone who wanted to play it with me. But this package seems just the right way to "sell" GURPS to new players. Damn just when I thought I was out...

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Man, I want this... and I never get to play GURPS and I already have a fair amount of DF in pdf.

So pretty! Want!

t@nya

Asgardian rainbow dragon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm not into Dungeon Fantasy or dungeon crawling at all any more, even though I own a lot of DF PDFs, but I'm serious thinking of supporting the kickstarter anyway, just to encourage future products of this sort.

Anything that helps grow the GURPS player base is a good thing, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Matt.Ceb

WH40k: An unending holy space Brexit. (Nic Rueben)
Validated User
Something that got a bit lost in all this: GURPS Discworld is finally coming, as well! AND it's getting a print release. ... Hot Damn. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy + GURPS Discworld! I know what I'll be planning soon. :D

philreed

Unwanted Commentator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Something that got a bit lost in all this: GURPS Discworld is finally coming, as well! AND it's getting a print release. ... Hot Damn. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy + GURPS Discworld! I know what I'll be planning soon. :D
Also, GURPS Mars Attacks is at print and set for release late this year.

BONUS: Another GURPS item should be announced during the month of September.

Top Bottom