💀 Necro Wow: a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxset!

Rupert

Validated User
Re: [necro]Wow: a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxset!

I tell you, my immersion is completely broken by the cover of Exploits - the cultists are about to sacrifice some naked guy. Everyone knows that they would actually be sacrificing a naked maiden. Immersion. Broken.

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was able to snag a copy of the original box set at my FLGS recently, so I will definitely consider this Kickstarter.

GM Joe

GMing Since 1982
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I backed it, of course. It's a fantastic game, and I'm happy to see new material developed for it. Douglas Cole's been doing a great job with his DFRPG adventure and setting (I'm so glad SJ Games granted him a license; he does such great work), but also having something new from the manufacturer is even better! Not to mention giving folks a chance to buy this formerly out-of-print boxed game.

Zed

in Berkeley, California (he/him)
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Nice to see the Box Set getting a reprint.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Yeah, I didn't expect a reprint at all. But if this works out, then there might be some life yet in the line...

ruckusmanager

RPGnet Member
Validated User
What a fortuitous thread return! A couple of weeks ago, I picked up the original box set for a steal at the local convention. I'm seriously thinking about running this in a Greyhawk-flavored setting. My big question is: What is the average time it takes for a typical encounter? More specifically, let's say a group of 6 beginning level characters peacefully slumbering at the prototypical inn are attacked by a like number of zombies. How long could I expect that engagement to take in real life?

My experience with Hero Games is that would probably take you about an hour to play out (maybe 45 minutes due to the lesser values in Fantasy Hero). Is GURPS about the same?

SibKhatru

Validated User
What a fortuitous thread return! A couple of weeks ago, I picked up the original box set for a steal at the local convention. I'm seriously thinking about running this in a Greyhawk-flavored setting. My big question is: What is the average time it takes for a typical encounter? More specifically, let's say a group of 6 beginning level characters peacefully slumbering at the prototypical inn are attacked by a like number of zombies. How long could I expect that engagement to take in real life?

My experience with Hero Games is that would probably take you about an hour to play out (maybe 45 minutes due to the lesser values in Fantasy Hero). Is GURPS about the same?
Well, we lingered around 60 minutes for a scene like what you describe, but we whittle it down to 25-35 minutes with these nifty and inspired ideas:

https://dungeonfantastic.blogspot.com/2013/05/how-i-run-combat-fast.html?m=1

The set up to that was 7 full encounters in 9 hours, but I am thinking all those tweaks probably meant 20-25 minutes each, maybe 40 for complex stuff.

I really like a counting rule.

Top Bottom