đŸ’€ Necro Wow: a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxset!

Scurrilous

Validated User
Yeah, I'll be backing it for sure. Though I'll probably preorder stuff for my store though the distributor because international shipping rates are nuts. I don't know yet, the $200 retailer level looks pretty good.

Last edited:

DouglasCole

Validated User
In addition to the Boxed Set AND the awesome book of Monsters, there's also third-party support being prepared by Gaming Ballistic.

The Citadel at Nordvorn is on Kickstarter simultaneous with the Dungeon Fantasy RPG. It is currently 78% funded, and saw a surge of support over the last two days. With the Boxed Set, which includes "I Smell a Rat," Hall of Judgment, and now Citadel at Nordvorn, there's enough material to play for a long time, all ready to go. When you get through with those, the included-in-the-box Dungeon Fantasy: Monsters and Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 now on Kickstarter give self-directed play.

In The Citadel at Nordvorn, you will find many adventures, plus more trouble the players will doubtless create on their own. The area is so teeming with strife and peril that their characters will have the opportunity to stand at the center of many crises.

The Citadel at Nordvorn is a setting for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG. It consists of three major settlements, many small villages, at least one ruin, and two primary sources of conflict: The Hunted Lands to the northwest of The Palisade, and the Endalaus Forest, to the north and east of Audreyn's Wall.

Return to NorĂ°lond, a Viking-flavored world with its own history, culture, and expectations. Visit as an outsider, or fresh from a victory rediscovering the Hall of Judgment.

It is intended for starting Dungeon Fantasy RPG characters of 250 points. They will be major players, and the fulcrum around which the future of NorĂ°lond turns. While it is set in the same world as Hall of Judgment, it is not sequel. It is a setting, filled with adventuring possibilities, and easily tuned up or down in power level as the GM desired to suit any fantasy campaign!

Good luck, and may the Fates have a bold destiny in store for you!

Hall of Judgment: Pics and Reviews

Still on the fence? Read these two reviews: one by Octopus Carnival, the other by the Blind Mapmaker, with my commentary on the review (which I thought positive and fair) on my blog here.

if you missed the Kickstarter for Hall of Judgment, and want to string the two books together into a campaign, a new reward level has been added! Viking Raider ($65), which gets you PDFs and Print copies of both books. These are printed on heavy paper stock (Hall was 93# paper, and Citadel will be from 90-100# as well), and goes through two print runs in order to help with European shipping.

Euro-Friendly?

Yes. The Citadel at Nordvorn will be printed as well as delivered in PDF. Short-run digital printing takes us threough the first stage. Two printers, one in the UK or EU, and one in the USA, will take on the printing of the book.

Why two printers? Because shipping from the USA is utterly ridiculous, and the best way I can find to get books to customers who are outside the USA - and for Hall of Judgment, that was a full third of the physical books! - is to print the books in the UK/Europe and then ship them via Royal Mail.

The US is easy: I'll print 'em here and ship them via USPS Media Mail.

DouglasCole

Validated User
What is the average time it takes for a typical encounter? More specifically, let's say a group of 6 beginning level characters peacefully slumbering at the prototypical inn are attacked by a like number of zombies. How long could I expect that engagement to take in real life?
You may already know this, but "You All Meet at an Inn" is a short adventure with exactly this premise from Pyramid #3/98. You can read a brief play-by-play here, and ask questions.

LokRobster

I've been introducing young relations (nieces and nephews) to the concept of Pen and Paper RPGs using SJGames' DFRPG.

I've gifted 3 copies of the DFRPG box set so far, and for each I ran through some basic adventuring scenarios to get the ideas in their heads (rather than having them open a box and figure it out from scratch)... I've got 4 nephews turning 12 this year, and 5 nieces turning 10; perfect age to spring some tabletop on them.
I was around 7-9 when I first played D&D, and 12 when I got a box of my own - I hit GURPS at 17 and never looked back.

It's a great Age for sharing RPGs, and I believe Dungeon Fantasy is a great intro level to get folks into the game, with the potential to go anywhere with whatever they imagine up.

I particularly enjoyed Douglas Cole's Viking/Norse themed adventure; I picked up 3 copies of Hall of Judgement to gift along as well.

(oh and I've backed both of these new projects [Monsters2+DFRPG-box-set, and Citadel @ Nordvorn] this month. It'll be a good fall, More New Material!)

the cat

Drone
Validated User
I've picked up Dungeon Fantasy and the DM's screen. I really want to run this but I am currently in a DCC game so it may be a bit. I will probably back the project as i am going to want the new monsters anyway.

TheShadow

found the shaved monkeys
Validated User
Good to see that a reprint is (hopefully) on the way. The game deserves wider exposure. Douglas Cole deserves a lot of credit as well for keeping it in the public eye.

DouglasCole

Validated User
Good to see that a reprint is (hopefully) on the way. The game deserves wider exposure. Douglas Cole deserves a lot of credit as well for keeping it in the public eye.
Backed! I hope this does well and there is more in store for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG.
TheShadow: Thanks! If you read Sean Punch's Foreword to the Citadel at Nordvorn, he says nice things that seem to agree with you.

sd_jasper:

Just for fun. This cover will be replaced, because the art isn't the right resolution, but here's the NEXT Dungeon Fantasy RPG cover mockup. And there's a third project being written as well, also not by me. The better both projects do - and I don't think they're in competition at all - the more I can invest and seek new work (and not all Norse-based!) for this product line.

smug

Better you better you bet
Validated User
I am a backer as of this morning or so. I look forward to SJG somehow turning this into a financial loss as with the original Dungeon Fantasy Kickstarter (or at least a wash).

dalin

Validated User
I backed the original campaign two years ago and have gotten incredible value from it. I introduced an adult group to the game (some were new to RPGs; others had played D&D) and we completed a great campaign arc. One of the players has now started his own separate campaign. I've also introduced the game at our middle school gaming club where it has been embraced enthusiastically. (Indeed, the school bought some sets before they sold out; see a photo below.) Many of my players are eager to get their own copies, and I'm hoping to get another few copies as gifts for my nieces and nephews.

The basic mechanic of rolling below your skill is easy for new players, regardless of their previous gaming experience. Everybody enjoys the character generation system, especially the disadvantages and quirks. They add so much depth to the characters and provide roleplaying hooks for the other players and potential adventure hooks for the GM.

I was also happily surprised at how many adventures were available through various issues of Pyramid and Douglas Cole's Hall of Judgment and forthcoming (hopefully) Citadel at Nordvorn. Converting adventures from other systems is also pretty straightforward as long as you focus on the big picture rather than getting lost in every mechanical detail.

Photo from our school's gaming club of four boxed sets plus GM Screens, dice, and some sample characters (poster maps and minis are still in the boxes).

Top Bottom