💀 Necro Wow: a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxset!

Andrew Hackard

Validated User
Is there a way to back this project through Paypal or something similar? My bank hates Kickstarter and always blocks or cancels my credit cards when it's time for the payment to actually happen, so I'm not using KS any more. I would still like to back these projects, though!
We'll be using BackerKit as our pledge manager, and they don't accept Paypal either (drat). But maybe your bank will allow a BackerKit charge to go through?

Worst case, we'll have whatever extras we make on Warehouse 23 once the product ships to backers, and W23 definitely does accept Paypal.

Bira

Validated User
I guess I'll have to wait until they're available on W23, then. BackerKit was similar experience.

Corvus Caurinus

Validated User
For those looking for more cardboard heroes, the whole range is available on e23 here: http://www.warehouse23.com/products?utf8=✓&keywords=cardboard+heroes&x=0&y=0

Much as I'd like more of the really nice ones from the boxed set an ink jet and glossy paper are pretty cheap these days. I don't really need them, I've got thousands of painted miniatures and a dedicated gaming space that's pretending to be a store but the convenience is fun. This spring I'm hoping to get my 1/32 stuff cast up so I can finally run GURPS in the one true scale. But I wonder how scalable those files are :D
I've got those and they are great, but I'd love to have more non-humanoid gribblies and nasties in the same art style to throw at my players. I can shift colors and whatnot and stretch the komodo dragon into a slorn, but things like the sphere of madness or an ice wyrm are a little more difficult.

Matt Sheridan

Minus 10 horse points.
Validated User
We'll be using BackerKit as our pledge manager, and they don't accept Paypal either (drat).
They do, actually! I think it's new, but you can click a "Set Up Payments" link in the left nav of your BackerKit project, and there's a "Connect with PayPal (optional)" section underneath the "Connect with Stripe (required)" stuff.

Reynard

Validated User
So I am familiar enough with GURPS, but what makes DF so special? I'm interested but for the cost I need a little push.

Snumpus

Validated User
I don’t usually buy dead tree versions anymore, but I pledged for both of the Nordvorn things, and the DF boxed set with Monsters 2, at print + PDF levels, as a general ‘please make more GURPS’ vote of confidence. Kind of side-eyeing the three month delay for international customers on the latter, though.

Scurrilous

Validated User
DF is à fully realized duñgeon adventure game that uses GURPS. The characters are heroic, the tone is light and tongue in cheek, the world is virtually non-existent. There is town where you buy gear and heal up and the dungeon where you kill monsters and get treasures. What it does for you is shape GURPS to a specific task. You've got templates for major archetypes, spells divided into arcane and divine, and nothing in the set that doesn't relate to doing dungeon fantasy.

Reynard

Validated User
DF is à fully realized duñgeon adventure game that uses GURPS. The characters are heroic, the tone is light and tongue in cheek, the world is virtually non-existent. There is town where you buy gear and heal up and the dungeon where you kill monsters and get treasures. What it does for you is shape GURPS to a specific task. You've got templates for major archetypes, spells divided into arcane and divine, and nothing in the set that doesn't relate to doing dungeon fantasy.
Thanks.

Is there a reason besides love of GURPS to use it instead of D&D or WHFRP or Dungeon World? Does it do anything interesting that other dungeon crawl games don't?

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don't know about the mechanics since I haven't read the books yet, but just as a product it's fun because it's a classic box set, complete with standup cardboard monsters, maps, and dice.

sd_jasper

Validated User
Thanks.

Is there a reason besides love of GURPS to use it instead of D&D or WHFRP or Dungeon World? Does it do anything interesting that other dungeon crawl games don't?
I don't know much about WHFRP or Dungeon World, so not sure what they can and cannot do. That said, Dungeon Fantasy offers quite a few things that make it stand out from other games.
  1. It's point buy. There are "Occupational Templates" that streamline and guide the character creation process, but there is still a ton of options within them to really define the character you want. Additionally, as you gain character points you can adjust and build your character with near infinite possibilities. (This sticks out to me b/c my bad experiences with class based limitations in other systems).
  2. Armor protects. Another pet peeve of mine. Full plate shouldn't make you better at dodging, and in DF it doesn't, it absorbs incoming damage, if you are hit. Which brings me to...
  3. Active Defense! Any attack you are aware of (meaning not from behind or in the dark or whatever) can be dodged, or parried (if you have a ready weapon), or blocked (if you have a shield). This gives you some level of control while on the reviving end of combat.
  4. A ton of other combat options. Hit locations, shield rushes, striking to disarm, off hand fighting, the list goes on.
  5. Spells as skills. Some folks don't like this system, but it was one of the things that first hooked me on GURPS. Everything is a skill roll... so no new system needed for magic. Just roll 3d6 under your skill (+/- modifiers), spend the fatigue point cost, and ... magic.
Those are my top picks. Outside of that IMO, DF just makes more sense than other games. Other games tend to have too many abstractions and "game-isms" that break down the suspension of disbelief (HP are an abstraction of grit, luck, and training... but you can still drink 10x as much poison than a level 1 character).

Top Bottom