💀 Necro Wow: a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxset!

Spartan

Tarpit Gamer
Validated User
Backed! I'm looking forward to new monsters. I have the original box set, and it's awesome. It's also the best explained rpg I've seen. The rules are incredibly clearly written. It's truly exceptional.

mook

Validated User
In addition to all the excellent parts of DFRPG already mentioned, to me the greatest is that it's built on GURPS -- meaning, if the only gaming a group does is fantasy/swords and sorcery, there may not be as compelling a reason to give it a try. But, if it's the kind of group that enjoys a variety of settings/genres, power levels, fluff/crunch ratio, etc, playing DFRPG for a while means at any time they can easily segue into GURPS for modern day espionage, Star Wars, bronze age warriors, the Matrix, whatever they feel like.

Scurrilous

Validated User
Thanks.

Is there a reason besides love of GURPS to use it instead of D&D or WHFRP or Dungeon World? Does it do anything interesting that other dungeon crawl games don't?
Carnivorous Flying Squirrels?

The tone is closer to D&D than WHFRP and the setting is, well, minimal or whatever setting you choose. Still Dungeon Fantasy doesn't even plug into GURPS Bane Storm very well. I think the big thing is that DFRPG is very much a dedicated dungeon crawler. Sure it can do lots more, it's GURPS, but the focus is that the player characters are headed into a dungeon to kill monsters and get treasure. So, it's a very action from the get go set up. No pages of history, politics, and background information. No tavern with an old man looking for a teacup that belonged to his grandmother here. Not that you can't run that kind of game if you want but the focus here is on actually getting down to the dungeon crawling. You're adventures, and not first level kids, the 250 point characters would map to around eighth level in OD&D. GURPS has a great tactical combat system and Dungeon Fantasy games put it through the paces. But you've also got a lot of character creation flexibility because it's GURPS and your characters will diverse and versitile.

philreed

Unwanted Commentator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don’t usually buy dead tree versions anymore, but I pledged for both of the Nordvorn things, and the DF boxed set with Monsters 2, at print + PDF levels, as a general ‘please make more GURPS’ vote of confidence. Kind of side-eyeing the three month delay for international customers on the latter, though.
Thanks!

The estimated international delivery was determined based on our experience with delivering Kickstarter rewards outside of the United States. There isn't enough demand for us to ship a separate container to another region, so the games:

* Travel from the factory to our fulfillment warehouse.
* Are packed and travel from the fulfillment warehouse to a consolidator.
* Are shipped from the freight forwarder to an international fulfillment partner.
* Are shipped from the international warehouse to backers.

All along the way, we're working with multiple companies on the fulfillment and have to get everything coordinated. In our experience, it can be up to three months for everything to align perfectly. We would rather set an estimate that we believe we can meet -- even if we hit obstacles -- than make an estimate that turns out to be very wrong.

dalin

Validated User
Is there a reason besides love of GURPS to use it instead of D&D or WHFRP or Dungeon World? Does it do anything interesting that other dungeon crawl games don't?
If the only gaming a group does is fantasy/swords and sorcery, there may not be as compelling a reason to give it a try.
I'll add here that I grew up playing D&D, starting with one of the Basic boxed sets and then AD&D as soon as it was published. I played that into college and then we just wanted more... a bit more realism. A bit more flexibility. An ability to mechanically differentiate characters of the same class more easily. We landed on GURPS and I've never looked back. The vast majority of my gaming, however, has never strayed from straight up D&D-style fantasy. So, while I appreciate the multi-genre capabilities of GURPS, that's not-at-all why I play it.

DFRPG, to me, is the ultimate version of GURPS for people like me who love the fantasy genre but want a system that is thoughtful, streamlined, and flexible. I understand the full system if I want or need to add something, but I've got all the rules I need in one clean box. Other folks have mentioned a lot of features, but I'll highlight a few (in no particular order) that my players and I love:
  • Advantages, Disadvantages, and Quirks — I love how easily you can design a fully realized character with huge potential for growth over the course of a campaign. Every new player I've introduced to GURPS or DFRPG loves, especially, the disads and quirks. They just bring a character to life.
  • Combat is Deadly — I don't run a particularly deadly game, but I like it that a knife in the back can kill you, no matter how powerful you are.
  • Combat is Smart — Tactics and good teamwork really matter in combat. You have lots of options, both in terms of offense and defense.
  • Dead Simple Foundation — The basic 3d6 mechanic is ultra-simple. You can easily skip rules complexity for beginners and only add layers as they begin asking for it. "Say, what if I just want to charge in with my shield and knock him down?" "Well, now that you mention it, here's how that works..."
  • Character Development — I love it that my character can improve a little bit after every session. I can save points for big-ticket items (e.g., buying a new advantage or buying off a disadvantage) or I can incrementally improve my skills. There's no sense that you have to make optimal choices at every "level" or your character will be hamstrung later. Since there's no "maximum level" or anything like that, it just feels like your character is continuing to grow and morph as you play.
  • Character Templates — Since they are all built with the same, transparent system, you can easily create new ones, modify existing ones, mix and match features, and customize to your heart's content. Even within a given template, the choices of Ads, Disads, Quirks, and Skills can wildly differentiate two characters.
Finally, if you want to explore more radical changes to the system, you have the entire GURPS canon and friendly fan community available. (Not to mention all the other RPG products out there, which are pretty easy to convert once you understand how DFRPG mechanics operate.)

Snumpus

Validated User
In our experience, it can be up to three months for everything to align perfectly. We would rather set an estimate that we believe we can meet -- even if we hit obstacles -- than make an estimate that turns out to be very wrong.
That’s understandable, and thank you for explaining the reasoning behind the potential delay! At least I’ll be enjoying the PDFs in the meantime, then. :)

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Combat is Deadly — I don't run a particularly deadly game, but I like it that a knife in the back can kill you, no matter how powerful you are.
This one is...not quite true to the extent you imply. A knife to the back, unless it's in very strong hands, is quite likely to not have enough damage to cause even a single death check. Even against relatively flimsy PCs. Short of an improbable critical hit, almost all PCs can actually be very confident that getting knifed (once) by a random thug is not going to kill them. Unless you're importing gritty wounding rules from other GURPS sourcebooks.

dalin

Validated User
This one is...not quite true to the extent you imply. A knife to the back, unless it's in very strong hands, is quite likely to not have enough damage to cause even a single death check. Even against relatively flimsy PCs. Short of an improbable critical hit, almost all PCs can actually be very confident that getting knifed (once) by a random thug is not going to kill them.
You're right. I should have been more clear. I meant that it could be immediately life-threatening, not dead-in-one-shot. A stab to the vitals or slash to the neck can produce a serious injury that might prompt immediate unconsciousness checks. Without a critical hit, you won't be at risk of death, but if you fail that first unconsciousness check, you could be dispatched in the following turn. Armor and other advantages and skills (not to mention other PCs) can mitigate this risk, of course. My players and I, however, have always liked it that if your guard is down after a night of carousing in town, an armed cutpurse or group of relatively puny thugs can, with just a bit of luck, ruin your day. This matches our sense of reality, even within a highly cinematic fantasy game.

Scurrilous

Validated User
Assuming ST 10 and a large knife: 1d-2 impaling. All out attack strong for +2 targeted at the vitals for x3 after armour. this gives you between 3 and 18 points of damage with average being 10.5. Enough to cause a major wound or even put Conan down to 0 hp on a good roll. You could also slash the throat for similar effect if there's torso armour, though it's -5 to hit instead of -3. The hit location (neck) technique is your friend.

Top Bottom