💀 Necro Wow: a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxset!

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Something to keep in mind for GURPS - and the Dungeon Fantasy RPG as well - is that tactics that work well in the real world will also tend to work well in the game. Ambushes, ganging up on someone, creating choke points and so forth - all these will make a clear and measurable difference in a fight.

Of course, magic does not exist in the real world, but it adds to the tactical options instead of replacing them.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
You're right. I should have been more clear. I meant that it could be immediately life-threatening, not dead-in-one-shot. A stab to the vitals or slash to the neck can produce a serious injury that might prompt immediate unconsciousness checks. Without a critical hit, you won't be at risk of death, but if you fail that first unconsciousness check, you could be dispatched in the following turn. Armor and other advantages and skills (not to mention other PCs) can mitigate this risk, of course. My players and I, however, have always liked it that if your guard is down after a night of carousing in town, an armed cutpurse or group of relatively puny thugs can, with just a bit of luck, ruin your day. This matches our sense of reality, even within a highly cinematic fantasy game.
Yeah, this is fair. A (well-delivered) knife in the back will seriously mess you up and definitely can take you out. Though a really tough PC is unlikely to fall over right away.

I think it's important to keep in sight that in GURPS (at least with DF's setup) there's a lot of room between being potentially taken out of the fight and being dead.

philreed

Unwanted Commentator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Each of the creatures described in Monsters 2 includes adventure seeds and, because we could, we created some adventure seeds for monsters found in the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game box set. Here are the doomchild adventure seeds by Peter Dell'Orto; all you need now is a copy of the game, some players, and a little time. (We've not yet figured out how to package players and free time, but we'll be sure to make an announcement if we find a marketable solution to the problem.)

Doomchild Adventure Seeds
Doomchildren Gate. Shockingly small bands of doomchildren have launched suicidal raids on the border fort near an old dungeon. The doomchildren have been destroyed each time, but where are they coming from? The local ruler wants that question answered and the doomchildren plague ended. Deep within the dungeon, perhaps a megadungeon, is a long-sealed gate to the realm of the demons (Hell?). It’s leaking – slightly – allowing doomchildren through a handful at a time, and must be resealed. If the delvers aren’t careful, attempts to close the gate could actually open it wide, allowing a larger force of demons to pass through. Alternatively, the gate might need closing from the other side, allowing bold heroes to travel to the demon realm itself for some real adventure.

Children Of The Doomed. The presence of doomchildren usually means the presence of demons, demon-worshippers, or foolish wizards who dared too much (and died in the process). This time it means all three. A wizard friendly to the PCs accidentally summoned a pack of doomchildren along with the peshkali she intended to conjure. The peshkali and doomchildren killed her and are loose. Only the heroes can clear her house of demons. Plot twist: The peshkali is downright maternal toward “her” doomchildren.

JoeLinden

Something to keep in mind for GURPS - and the Dungeon Fantasy RPG as well - is that tactics that work well in the real world will also tend to work well in the game. Ambushes, ganging up on someone, creating choke points and so forth - all these will make a clear and measurable difference in a fight.
Quoted for truth! For me, this is one of the best reasons to choose to run a hack-and-slash dungeon crawl using the Dungeon Fantasy RPG, rather than, say, D&D, or Dungeon World, or whatever. The DFRPG just has a lot of tactical depth, in part because the underlying system does a great job of modelling reality (or rather a kind of 'heroic reality', really, if you're a stickler). Basically, if it would work for (hyper-skilled!) adventurers in reality, then it probably works in the DFRPG.

(Andnot just because the GM has improvised, either! No, the DFRPG rules themselves actively create opportunities for deep tactical play).

dalin

Validated User
Children Of The Doomed. The presence of doomchildren usually means the presence of demons, demon-worshippers, or foolish wizards who dared too much (and died in the process). This time it means all three. A wizard friendly to the PCs accidentally summoned a pack of doomchildren along with the peshkali she intended to conjure. The peshkali and doomchildren killed her and are loose. Only the heroes can clear her house of demons. Plot twist: The peshkali is downright maternal toward “her” doomchildren.
I'm enjoying all of these seeds.

This one could be a fun one-shot between larger adventures—a complication in town. Of course, there could be a mystery behind this (Why was the wizard summoning the peshkali? Why didn't the pentagram hold?) that might lead to a larger adventure.

DouglasCole

Validated User
The Citadel at Nordvorn is close to funding! Only $317 to go! If you’re one of the 315 backers following but not yet pledged to The Citadel at Nordvorn, I just want to note that *today* would be a mighty fine day to jump on board.

If we take those pledged and add those following . . . we’re now up to $24,000 which makes the offset print run stretch goal, and a 128 page book, start to look feasible.

(note this is a WIP cover; details, shading, and full texture are pending!)

DouglasCole

Validated User
For those that Just Won't Do Facebook (and many have told me such explicitly in various places), Sean Punch/Dr. Kromm posted the following on his personal page.

Kromm said:
If you like or ever liked GURPS, and you want to see it go on to do new and interesting things, please support this campaign! It is a litmus of sorts:

△ If it funds, that will send us the message that we should support the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game and consider future campaigns for big, interesting GURPS books (in the traditional printed sense) and/or GURPS-based products (such as this one).

△ If it doesn't fund, we'll have to ponder whether there's enough interest in GURPS to keep it around as anything other than a series of PDFs once or twice a month.

I get back on March 20. I really hope that when I do, I'll learn the campaign has been fully backed – perhaps all the way up to the $85,000 level where we can print a book that includes ALL the cool monsters I created.

See you then!
I'd suggest reading this a few times sharing it with your GURPSy friends.

DouglasCole

Validated User
The Citadel at Nordvorn has funded.

Thanks everyone! Like I've said elsewhere, this is a huge relief and now I can start art direction with confidence.

There's enough latent "followed not backed" to make the final total over $24,000 if folks all pitch. So now we're pushing stretch goals.

Also: while this is awesome and we're all superior people with much charisma, don't forget the importance of the Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2/Boxed Set reprint!

There are also two more Norðlond adventures coming out from Gaming Ballistic later this year that are already being written: The Dragons of Rosgarth, and Forest's End.

Scurrilous

Validated User
I've backed DFRPG at the retailer level and grabbed a spare Players and Magic for itself. Between that and a direct order to SJG for any GURPS Books they still have in print that's $600 + 125 shipping this month. I do find myself wondering if something beefier and newer would have funded faster. Let's face it, the monsters book is a façade for a boxed set reprint, which is fine, I certainly want copies of the core game to sell. I drives me bananas that the game (GURPS) run most in my store is largely out of print. I also wonder if running a concurrent Citadel at Nordvorn split the dollars. Clearly, the thing to do is kickstart a GURPS Space Opera one book game using the aliens from GURPS Aliens, and GURPS Spaceships rules. Pony up and I'll do the art!

G_K_Zhukov

Validated User
I am not specially fond of fantasy dungeoneering, but anyway I bought the DFRPG boxed set plus screen and companion, I bought Doug Cole's previous "Hall of Judgement" and I am currently pledging for Doug's "The Citadel at Norðvorn" and Steve Jackson Games' "Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2/Boxed Set Reprint". Why?

Well, I love GURPS. I truly enjoy the thoroughness and breadth of the rules - they are useful for any genre. In fact, the default setting for GURPS 4th Edition is a multiverse ("Infinite Worlds") where anything is possible.

All eras and settings are supported:

Pre-gunpowder ancient and medieval? Check. "Low Tech" gets you covered. Modern, gunpowder and industrial era? Check. "High Tech" is your stuff. Science-fiction, any flavor? Check. "Ultra-Tech" and "Bio-Tech" are readily available. Even the venerable Traveller Universe has been tackled by GURPS 4th Edition in the remarkable "Interstellar Wars" book.

But do not think GURPS is good for "realistic" settings only (whatever the heck that means). As the DFRPG shows, over the top fantasy is really doable, as is Star Wars (if in doubt, just check what Daniel "Mailanka" Dover is doing on his "Psi Wars" patreon page).

And there are supplements for fantasy, magic of many types, psionics. And tons of pdf materials with rules for civilization building, social encounters, mass combat, locations, or equipment from any era; all are there for any of you to see. Something missing? Look for 3rd edition sourcebooks. Truly amazing in scope.

I do not wish SJG to see GURPS as a dead end. We still need many more things, and not only the long time missing GURPS Vehicle Design System updated to 4th Edition standards, but things like BOXED sets for Science Fiction, Steampunk or Modern Action, all filled with pawns and maps and preloaded with their own settings so that it is a matter of just opening the box and getting ready to rock & roll.

So please, consider pledging for the Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2/Boxed Set Reprint now! Worlds and worlds of wonderful adventures lay ahead.

Top Bottom