• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

💀 Necro Wow: a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxset!

Scurrilous

Validated User
I hope the outcome of Monsters II is an attempt at something else in a different format rather than another boxed set. I love boxed sets but they're expensive to produce. I always like the idea of saddle stitched books with a removable center map and overleaf with cardboard heroes. GURPS Autoduel 1e for the win!

Scurrilous

Validated User
I hope the outcome of Monsters II is an attempt at something else in a different format rather than another boxed set. I love boxed sets but they're expensive to produce. I always like the idea of saddle stitched books with a removable center map and overleaf with cardboard heroes. GURPS Autoduel 1e for the win!

TheShadow

found the shaved monkeys
Validated User
Well...Autoduel 1e and Autoduel Champions are being re-released as straight reproductions, as add-ons for the Pocket Box Kickstarter, so there is that...

Sosthenes

Oiled Greek Wrestler
Validated User
I do not wish SJG to see GURPS as a dead end. We still need many more things, and not only the long time missing GURPS Vehicle Design System updated to 4th Edition standards, but things like BOXED sets for Science Fiction, Steampunk or Modern Action, all filled with pawns and maps and preloaded with their own settings so that it is a matter of just opening the box and getting ready to rock & roll.
Honestly, given that it looks like the Kickstarter will barely scratch over the goal in the 11th hour and this is used as an indicator for GURPS in general, I'm not keeping my hopes up. Pyramid is on life support, too, if I remember correctly.

I've probably got all the GURPS books I need (and physically, too), so I'm good, but it's sad to see it go from the hey-days of 3E to this.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Honestly, given that it looks like the Kickstarter will barely scratch over the goal in the 11th hour and this is used as an indicator for GURPS in general, I'm not keeping my hopes up. Pyramid is on life support, too, if I remember correctly.
Pyramid is gone. That is to say, the old issues will still be available for purchase, but there will be no new ones.

Sosthenes

Oiled Greek Wrestler
Validated User
They've got a handful of amateur contributors, the same that wrote most of the Pyramid V3 articles. And small PDF series like Dungeon Fantasy, After the End and Monster Hunters -- most of which are concerned with systems, not as much background or even adventures. So it's quite likely that someone won't be in the target audience for most of it. (Both regarding genre and power level)
The last "big" thing they did was the Discworld RPG, and the last non-regular contributor of significance I can remember would've been Ken Hite and his Madness Dossier 5 years ago...

There doesn't seem to be a big market for crunchy generic games anymore, sadly (not that much coming out from HERO, either, hopefully not because they spent all their money on Sad Correia). Weirdly enough, once CP2077 comes out, Interlock/Fuzion might be the "genre" leader by sheer volume.

Scurrilous

Validated User
The problem with Pyramid was that it scattered bits of support through dozens of issues. You need around six different issues to get the add-ons to Space Ships that let you do other vehicles. I think directed supplements are better. As far as fan content goes, I think a free fanzine that gives people a good place to share material would be better.

As ever, GURPS lacks an identity of its own. Cyberpunk and Champions have a certain, specific setting that's associated with them. GURPS doesn't seem to have made anything really stick. SJG tried very hard with Traveller, Transhuman Space, and WWII but none of them seem to have stuck well enough to click into place.

sd_jasper

Validated User
As ever, GURPS lacks an identity of its own. Cyberpunk and Champions have a certain, specific setting that's associated with them. GURPS doesn't seem to have made anything really stick. SJG tried very hard with Traveller, Transhuman Space, and WWII but none of them seem to have stuck well enough to click into place.
Hm, okay. But what about Savage Worlds? That did pretty well w/o an identity (unless you consider DeadLands to be the SW specific setting). What about Fate? What is its identity? I'm not saying you're completely wrong. But I am not sure that a system has to have one core setting. And if anything "Dungeon Fantasy" is the new GURPS specific "setting"

dalin

Validated User
They've got a handful of amateur contributors
When does an amateur cross the line to professional? Is it only if they don't have a day job? Some of these amateurs have been writing incredible material for decades. William H. Stoddard, to name just one, has written many books for GURPS, including large hardcovers like Fantasy and Low Tech. I'd put those firmly in the category of professional RPG publications.

Top Bottom