• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro Wow: a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxset!

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hm, okay. But what about Savage Worlds? That did pretty well w/o an identity (unless you consider DeadLands to be the SW specific setting). What about Fate? What is its identity? I'm not saying you're completely wrong. But I am not sure that a system has to have one core setting. And if anything "Dungeon Fantasy" is the new GURPS specific "setting"
Savage Worlds and Fate have far less crunch that GURPS and Hero as a selling point. Whereas it can be argued that GURPS is fairly crunchy, which will turn a fair number of people off, and unlike Hero having the Champions supers world, GURPS doesn't have a strong, amazing world to get people into it in spite of the crunch. And frankly I don't know if Dungeon Fantasy can change that since to the casual observer, what are the selling points of Dungeon Fantasy that you can't get in a ton of other fantasy games and settings?

dalin

Validated User
I don't know if Dungeon Fantasy can change that since to the casual observer, what are the selling points of Dungeon Fantasy that you can't get in a ton of other fantasy games and settings?
Even if there's nothing special about it (which I dispute, and posted about upthread), it manages to pack a great fantasy game into far fewer pages. I am stunned at how much freaking GAME is packed into the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game boxed set. No thick tomes needed. It is sleek and elegant, easy to learn and easy to use as a reference during the game.

Matt.Ceb

40 Years of Unknown Pleasures
Validated User
For me, as much as I want to see GURPS... I have no interest in anything Fantasy any more in my RPG time. I'm "fantasy-ied out", to coin a term. I won't GM or play in any Fantasy campaigns any more, as I've had more than enough of that in my almost quarter century of roleplaying.

If there had been a SciFi box set to the tune of GURPS DF, I'd have backed it, probably for more than one copy.

But I just can't stomach yet another fantasy game, even for a system I love and would love to see more being developed for. The fact that SJGames is basing all their "Is GURPS worth keeping around for" on such a limited and focused product shuts out my opinion/money completely. :(

Ulairi

I play GURPS
Banned
Validated User
I'm backing it. I like playing GURPS because at the table, especially with the DFRPG system, it runs very smoothly. The components in the boxed set are tip top.

For less than $100, a player gets everything he or she needs to run a really fun RPG, including two adventures. Against the Rat-Men is a really great adventure and by the end of the included module "I smell a rat" I think most folks will understand the system and what's great is then it is much easier to genre hop. I also want a scifi boxed set. When SJ Games finally releases one, my group will be ready to play because the system won't really change.

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
One question: if you back at the pdf level, do you still have to wait until June for the Dungeon Fantasy box set content? Obviously the monster book is only available once it's done, and the physical box will need printing... but presumably there won't be any any obstacle to to her the basic game content sooner?

Scurrilous

Validated User
Hm, okay. But what about Savage Worlds? That did pretty well w/o an identity (unless you consider DeadLands to be the SW specific setting). What about Fate? What is its identity? I'm not saying you're completely wrong. But I am not sure that a system has to have one core setting. And if anything "Dungeon Fantasy" is the new GURPS specific "setting"
Savage Worlds does settings and GURPS does genres I suppose. Sure Savage Worlds has some nice tool kit books and GURPS has some nice world books but Savage Worlds tends towards ready to play settings and adventures and GURPS seems to focus on crunch manuals. That said, supposing you took the cover off of Evernight and ran it with Dungeon Fantasy, the player's would never see the sun eating spider aliens coming. :D

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
That reminds me... I've decided to buy some add-ons, but one that seems to be missing is a PDF collection of the Dungeon Fantasy boxed set. Last time around I only bought the physical copy due to lack of funds. These days I am more fluid and I'd like to buy the PDF version as well, and this seems like a good opportunity - but it doesn't seem to be on the list.

Sosthenes

Oiled Greek Wrestler
Validated User
When does an amateur cross the line to professional? Is it only if they don't have a day job?
The "handful" part of my original message is the more important one here. GURPS always ran on "amateurs", but they had enough and probably enough money to go around so that you could get full books about their chosen specialty. Freelance writers and salaried employees have way more time on their hands, and thus the time and inclination to do research into more foreign topics and really expand on the material.

The material GURPS/Pyramid has been getting from the regulars is actually quite amazing, but you'll run into a limit regarding the length and breadth of things eventually, and each individual contributor is harder to replace. If you're doing it because it's a labor of love, but then you discover that you got more and more love for e.g. FATE. (Or that the product that the company is betting the farm on doesn't contain nearly enough guns)

Top Bottom