💀 Necro Wow: a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxset!

dalin

Validated User
My nine-year-old son had a friend over this morning who saw the original boxed set and started asking about it. Twenty minutes later, his character is plummeting through the roof of an ruined temple while being attacked by intelligent ape guardians. When he had to go home, he was negotiating with his parents to see if he could come back tomorrow for more. He's not quite of age to fund the kickstarter, but he may be part of the next generation of GURPS fans. (As I typed this, we are $339 from the finish line!)

Scurrilous

Validated User
I guess the question now is whether it's worth doing little booklets to reprint some of the hardbacks. A collection of aliens of and/or vehicles when they reprint GURPS Space and Ultratech or some such. I do think having the whole line, or at least the really core books like Magic, High Tech, Martial Arts, and Ultra Tech back in print would help GURPS regain some of its market position.

As far as material that exists that could be re-used fairly cheaply, GURPS Aliens, GURPS IST, and GURPS Cabal seem likely subjects. I wonder if full color is really that much of a selling point for a reprint the main book kickstarter? Would monsters 2 be as successful in black and white at twice the page count?

A Dungeon Fantasy style space opera or supers box doesn't seem likely. The boxed set format is expensive to produce and it looks like SJG is being pretty cautious when it comes to GURPS. I also expect small boxed sets aren't that much cheaper though they would be cool. It also becomes an issue of looking too much like TFT.

I'd rather see some new content. I'll always believe the absence of some form of vehicle book is a gaping hole in the line when it comes to doing science fiction. At least we got Spaceships and some Pyramid articles (does anyone know which ones have the rules for wheeled and tracked vehicles) A more complete and integrated book based on Spaceships might do it. But I'd also love a book with lots of stats for real vehicles. A WWII vehicle compendium would be great. I'd still prefer an updated physics based system but I'm guessing simulating realistic vehicle movement on the table top isn't a priority for most people.

DouglasCole

Validated User
For those who may have missed one or both: two exciting new stretch goals have been announced, continuing the close support and relationship between SJG and Gaming Ballistic. SJG is thrilled the DFM2 and box set funded (and so am I!), and Gaming Ballistic is very pleased to see Nordvorn steaming towards stretch goals (and so is SJG!). To help each other along, check out these two new announcements!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamingballistic/the-citadel-at-norvorn/posts/2449686

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ngeon-fantasy-monsters-2-and-ga/posts/2449668

philreed

Unwanted Commentator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I guess the question now is whether it's worth doing little booklets to reprint some of the hardbacks. A collection of aliens of and/or vehicles when they reprint GURPS Space and Ultratech or some such. I do think having the whole line, or at least the really core books like Magic, High Tech, Martial Arts, and Ultra Tech back in print would help GURPS regain some of its market position.
Both Space and UltraTech are available in print, as are Magic, High Tech, and Martial Arts.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/ondemand/

dalin

Validated User
For those who may have missed one or both: two exciting new stretch goals have been announced, continuing the close support and relationship between SJG and Gaming Ballistic.
I love the synergy here.

As an aside, at my most recent DFRPG session last week, I passed around my copy of Hall of Judgment (some of the players were thinking of jumping in on the Norðvorn KS). Everyone was really impressed by the quality of the book. In particular, they were dazzled by the art. And the maps. And the monsters. And the sample characters. Thanks for your hard work and attention to detail!

DouglasCole

Validated User
I love the synergy here.

As an aside, at my most recent DFRPG session last week, I passed around my copy of Hall of Judgment (some of the players were thinking of jumping in on the Norðvorn KS). Everyone was really impressed by the quality of the book. In particular, they were dazzled by the art. And the maps. And the monsters. And the sample characters. Thanks for your hard work and attention to detail!
Good news, then: Glynn Seal, ENnie Gold medal cartographer, is once again providing four maps for Norðvorn. I've expanded the crew of artists I'm using to include some new faces, and some old ones.

(By the way, Glynn is entirely awesome and is running a Kickstarter for his "Great Lunden" city expansion for The Midderlands)

But who's working on Nordvorn?

On the art side:
Juan Ochoa - He did the cover(s) for me on Hall of Judgment, and Lost Hall of Tyr (2nd Edition). Also most of the monster art.
Rick Troula - Provided the cover for Nordvorn. He did the extremely epic demon in Dungeon Grappling, as well!
Thomas Denmark - New to me as an artist, he and David Pulver published the Guardians Superhero RPG. I found out he's a superlative artist recently too!
Ben Jan - Is doing some amazingly haunting work, and has already finished one small piece for this book.
Ksenia Kozhevnikova - Also new to Gaming Ballistic, she's got a great focus on characters, and is no slouch with great backgrounds, either
Christian Villacis - Kriz is returning to GB's project list after doing great work for Dungeon Grappling and Dragon Heresy.

The book also features judicious use of stock art by Dean Spencer.

Needless to say . . . I'm VERY excited to see what these folks do with the art direction provided.

Top Bottom