• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro Wow: a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Boxset!

NPC

Sexbot Repairman (NPC since Jan. 2002)
Validated User
The issue there is the level of work involved. We learned from the Dungeon Fantasy box set that translating PDFs to a complete box game doesn't work as smoothly as you expect.
but wouldn't that be different if the PDF is specifically designed to be turned into a box set later on? For example: a "Spacers" pdf, a "BEM" pdf, a "Rockets & Toys" tech pdf, and a "Planets & Playgrounds" pdf for rules...

Daigoro

拝大五郎
Validated User
I think PDF series for Cyberpunk or Space Opera in the vein of Monster Hunters and After the End are more realistic than leapfrogging to full-blown boxed sets. Remember that Dungeon Fantasy had almost 20 PDFs behind it before they wrote the boxed set.

Scurrilous

Validated User
One obvious next step would be Doctor Kromm's Deadly Dungeon Fantasy World. He's hinted there's a world that's grown up and that DF grew out of his own campaigns.

On the space opera thing, GURPS already did Lensman and Tales of the Solar Patrol, I suspect the racial package GURPS Sparrials didn't do so great, though it's on my need-this-sometime list. Space Opera is a big genre and I think I'd suggest taking the Dungeon Fantasy Approach where the focus is on the action rather than settings specifics. Skin tight space suits and bubble helmets can be in the same book as force swords and comfortable homespun robes. I think the trick would be to not chase off either camp, which can be tricky. You'd want a thematically unified tone for the artwork. Dungeon Fantasy does a pretty good job there and I think a similar look would do well.

I looked over GURPS Aliens last week and I think the races there might be a little too comic book space opera. Lots of psionic powers which I'd rather see being rare and mysterious just because rare and mysterious is cool. Though between that and GURPS Space Bestiary there's a tone of existing material. I'm looking at doing a GURPS Space campaign in the near future, maybe I'll do some write ups and post them on the SJG forums as it goes along just for sake of discussion. We'll see, there's that GURPS Banestorm novel I was writing that could use some more chapters too :D

A series of pdfs would certainly be a good starting point and gauge interest in a boxed set or book. There's sure a lot of things I'd like in a boxed set, that's always the problem I suppose. TSR's old XXVc boxed set probably spoiled me a bit.

Sosthenes

Oiled Greek Wrestler
Validated User
I'd like to see an "Alternate Worlds" style treatment of DF, either different fantasy concepts/genres, or just shoehorning DF into real world history. That's something that could be fit into 48 pages and would make a good reason to hire that handsome stranger who did Suppressed Transmissions for SJG way in the past.

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've gone ahead and backed at the $20 level, cause who doesn't want more monsters? Plus I didn't back the first KS so I might as well get in on this one. And I guess I'll have to start reading my copy of the box set some time.

DouglasCole

Validated User
https://gamingballistic.com/2019/03/22/20000-stretch-goal-pillaged-also-check-your-pledges-and-add-ons/

We just pillaged the $20,000 stretch goal for 128 pages. This makes me happy. Not the least reason for which is the unfinished draft lays out at 115 pages on a 112-page budget. So . . . I don't have to cut anything. Thank you all for making this my strongest Kickstarter ever. As both Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 and The Citadel at Nordvorn enter their final hours (fewer than 12 for DFM2, about 60 as I type this for Nordvorn), it's time to check and see if what you've got listed is really what you want, and (if it's not) push the proejct to the offset print run by adding what you want NOW rather than in Backerkit.

dalin

Validated User

dalin

Validated User
Campaign closed at $54,741, 37% over the goal of $40,000. Over 1,000 backers is a great showing, too. I can't wait to get the goods!

Top Bottom