• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

(WoW) New tales of idiocy, thanks to the random LFG finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des

Validated User
So, overall I've been loving the new random dungeon system. Its smooth, easy to pop on for a short break and run a quick dungeon, and you get plenty of emblems to shore up those lingering gears pieces that the drops gods have failed to provide you upgrades for.

Generally speaking, the groups have been good. I've heard that the system tries to match you with people based on gear ratings at least in part, so I've had lots of good groups with people who know their stuff and have the itemization to blow through everything.

But that being said, every so often I and/or guildies have just gotten a group that's completely incomptent. Like, way moreso than prior to the system. i think its because you get these people sight unseen and no one talks much. If you're getting a PuG together in the past, there'd usually be hints that maybe you wanted to walk away. Like the people speaking in random gibberish and not knowing how to get to the argent tourney, or who beg party members for gold. Now, you get in, no one talks, and sometimes its a few pulls before you realize you've gotten a group who seemed to have gotten to 80 purely by accident.

So what tales of incredible stupidity have you encountered so far. Among myself and my guildies, we've got a few gems:

1. Pally healer pulling aggro, constantly while I'm tanking. I'm at a loss to figure out how he's doing this at the start, because he's not healing that much and I don't generally have problems managing healer threat while tanking. Turns out he's in prot spec with righteous fury on, and some int gear on top of that.

2. The platonic ideal of a huntard. In the span of the first two bosses in Halls of Stone, this guy managed to commit all the classic sins of a bad hunter. His pet was on aggressive. He'd fire volleys just as the tank was running up. He'd charge ahead, pull something back and then feign death, acting suprised as the mob started charging around. And, like the deformed cherry on top of the shit sunday, he started melee dpsing on the Lady of Woe, because he'd forgotten to buy arrows and ran out. One of the players asked him after that where he'd learned to play a hunter, and he group quit without a word.

3. The suicidal druid. I can get falling off of stuff in the new dungeons. I actually find it a bit annoying how blizzard seems to randomly decide whether or not you can fall off of things; some dungeons you can't go off ledges, some you can. But this druid in the forge of souls managed no less than 8 deaths going off ledges. I don't know if the guy was drunk or what, but he kept hurtling off the sides, then saying simply "lol" and running back.

4. The amazing Staturgest! This one happened to a guildie. Apparently some guy had gotten it into his head that killing Arthas in the halls of reflection was both possible and an achievement. The first day she was playing the new dungeons, the guy convinced the group to try to kill arthas 3 times with predictable results. When it was pointed out that he has something like 28 million hit points and one shots people, said person called them all noobs and group quit.

So what about you guys? Any new and glorious tales that make you wonder how the human race survives from day to day?

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Oh, they all sound amazing. I love the last guy.

''He has 28 million HP. He oneshots everyone''

''Lolnoobs''. Yeah. :D

I only had this one tankadin that first ran forward. Now the group was careful not to aggro right away. But for some reason we kept pulling aggro. So I ask her:

''Is Righteous Fury on?''

'Oh lol no it's not.''

So we continue, assuming she had just forgotten. (Or he. It was a female BE so who knows.) Again, aggro pulled.

''Uhh..could you put on RF`''

Nothing. More aggro.

''Umm...would you mind turning on RF?''

''haha lolol'' and then DCs.

We just sort of looked at each other(best you can iin party chat) rather puzzled until a new tank popped in. :p Oh yeah, we voted unamiously to kick them.

Yesterday, I decide to take a chance on healing a PuG. Huge mistake.

The first and only group I attempted was awful. So we've got at DK tank. No biggie! Right. This dude charges ahead and keeps going fight after fight, not waiting for the DPS to mana up or, more importantly, for me to be in range. We're in UK (on regular and I'm the highest level there, 74 so I figure no problem!) and he decides to take off around one of the corners in the Drake stable and pull something. He's not paying attention but his DPS and I are drinking. He's of course out of range and dies which wipes the rest of us. "WTF????" is all he says. So I explain why we died. "LOL Sry!"

Next round: he decides he's going to pull two groups. I guess since I'd been doing a good job or he felt like we needed some excitement or whatever, he feels the need to make things interesting.

At any rate, six dudes beating on him and I finally can't keep up. I've used all my "Oh shit" spells and finally we wipe. Again, "WTF??? U Can't heal r sumthing?"

I don't even get a chance to explain. The other Paladin in the group tells him how he messed up.

Finally we clear up to the first boss and guess what? He doesn't want to wait for the group to regen mana or buff up. He has to be told TWICE not to go in yet by the group leader. Then! Not only does he pull the first trash pack he pulls Princey too. Wipe three. At which point I said something like "It's not you, it's me" and politely excused myself from that train wreck.

Voidnaut

Carcinogeneticist
Validated User
Generally I find that the most common (and least obviously idiotic) type of bad pug are the ones where people want their emblems yesterday and barrel ahead without regard to consequences. Predictably, there will be a lot of blame-throwing when this results in wiping.

-voidnaut

Ubermonkey

Certainly a human
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hunter that's pulling 1/4 of the DPS I am as a ret pally.

Various idiot DK tanks who don't use DnD for groups and can't hold threat.

Korror

Storyteller
Validated User
When a DK tank joins the party, there is a 90% chance that he/she will be an idiot. This is a statistic verified through rigorous scientific investigation and not make up on the spot in the slightest. My apologies to all you competent DK tanks out there but you share your class with some of the biggest idiots I have ever seen.

Harwel

¯(°_o)/¯
1. Pally healer pulling aggro, constantly while I'm tanking. I'm at a loss to figure out how he's doing this at the start, because he's not healing that much and I don't generally have problems managing healer threat while tanking. Turns out he's in prot spec with righteous fury on, and some int gear on top of that.
Umm, was he also throwing shields or something? Because I've had tons of pallies healing with RF on and not pulling aggro. Improved RF is nice damage reduction from the odd AOE. Pally heals are innately lower threat than every other healer to begin with. If he was pulling aggro with nothing but heals, something else is drastically wrong.

venusboys3

wearer of socks
Validated User
No real tales of idiocy... nothing out of the norm at least... so far all the PUG groups I've been in have been for classic instances... I'm levelling up my druid. Everything has gone well, and it's nice that since it's cross-realm it's pretty quick to get a group for stuff like Maraudon and Dire Maul... used to be it could take days to find a stable group for those.

But HERE'S what I don't get... and I think I don't like...
The cross realm/teleport thing...
Yes, it's convenient... yes it assembles a 'balanced' group and saves everyone from having to wait while Timmy flies down from wherever to summon.
But I think it's benefits are barely balancing out my annoyances...

For BRD it plops us at the beginning, but since leaving the instance teleports us back to wherever we were when we accepted... and since we are all from different Realms... there's no easy way to pop out and kill Pyron... who we used to always kill on the way in (as well as getting the quest to attune to Molten Core).
Even if I want to run out of the instance and try to solo Pyron I can't, cause I'll teleport back to wherever I was when the group formed... so I'll have to make a seperate trip back to the entrance when I'm stronger (and probably levelled past the instance) or find some people who also need to kill Pyron.

Same thing for Maraudon (half the elite ghost Khans are outside the instance), Deadmines has a few quests that need stuff in the outer mines (which are a bit dangerous to solo at the level you'd usually be going there), etc.

I really enjoy the 'approach' to certain dungeons... like the whole bit with running down the chains to BRD... but all that stuff seems irrelevant now, we'll never see it unless we actually bother to go to the instance... like with friends/guildmates.
There are lots of places people only went while on the way to the instances and it's now pretty much wasted real-estate.
I imagine most folks don't care but... well, I like the fluff and what immersion I can get out of it.

Another thing, for Maraudon, when I hit 'enter dungeon' it dumps me at the halfway point... after the purple/orange sections join up... just 'PLOP' and I'm falling through the air down the big waterfalls there. I had multiple quests to complete in those sections but every time the group just ran forward to get to the Princess. Some of the guys in the group had no clue that we weren't at the beginning... they had no quests in there and had just picked 'random'.

Another thing is that there is no way to have feel out the group before joining... used to be I'd size them up and figure out if they're actually going to do the whole instance or if they're just running to a particular boss... and when Knife of AWZOMMM doesn't drop they quit the group. (happens all the time to me in Zul'farruk).
And yeah, the new system will find a replacement for you pretty fast, but when they find out you've killed the guy who drops Knife of AWZOMMM they turn around and quit.

I'd much rather play with folks who have the quests and are gonna do the whole instance. Not that were ever any guarantees, but now if you find yourself in a group of jerks you're penalized a 15 minute wait if you quit.

I kind of wish there were a way to turn the new system off... or to be more specific... say choose 'questing group' vs. 'loot group'.

One last thing, and this might just be something I haven't figured out yet... how do you find a PUG for an instance once you've levelled past it? I don't like to drop quests, but since levelling is so fast now I often find myself needing an instance that I can't do LFG for. Used to be I'd just post on the LFG chat channel... or respond to a call I saw on there... but the LFG channel seems to be no more.
But I know I've been in groups with the new system that had much higher lvl guys in them... so I'm not sure how that happened. I'm assuming they formed a group with a lower lvl who was able to put them in LFG... which won't really work for me since I'm usually playing alone these days.

Anyway, those are my bitches about the new system... tell me why I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Chucky

Chupa-thingy
Validated User
When a DK tank joins the party, there is a 90% chance that he/she will be an idiot. This is a statistic verified through rigorous scientific investigation and not make up on the spot in the slightest. My apologies to all you competent DK tanks out there but you share your class with some of the biggest idiots I have ever seen.
I was talking to a friend Saturday and said, "the new system has shown me every idiot has a DK and lfg system will make sure to assign you one." My favorite being the one in a POS run who would run ahead and engage things, in the first half of the run I almost asked him you know your not the tank right. Then when were standing on the safe spot in the tunnel he goes tearing off so far that I say fuck it to trying to go after him and keep him alive, needless to say he died. when the tank yelled at him the DK sad he did it because you take forever.

Guess whose dumb ass we had to wait on to run back after the rest of us had cleared the tunnel.

On the subject of falling in a POS run today I was standing next to my guild leaders hunter on the ramp up to a tunnel when one of the flame guys starts to aoe us. He disengaged and unfortunately went flying off the ramp and killed himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom