• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WoW] Post Legion expansion Speculation/Rumors/Spoilers - "Battle for Azeroth"

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
Yeah, I'm not a fan.

Can we just consider the Hearthstone version of Azeroth the canon Azeroth now? The story of Rafaam, Hagatha, Togwaggle, Lazul and Dr. Boom strapping rockets to Dalaran to steal it is way more compelling and interesting than "Horde vs. Alliance round 181262763."

Seriously, I feel like that meme of Spoony screaming whenever John Cena and Randy Orton get put in a match together.
You jest, but I think a big issue with this game is the attempts to keep getting bigger and bigger. I'd be fine with a "lateral expansion" where instead of "we must fight to save us from X new boss" it's moving to something like the underworld Hearthstone expansion where your characters big mission is to take over/ bring to justice the underworld.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
I don't think the "bigger and bigger" thing is all bad. They've been setting up the Old God shit ever since the beginning, really, so in order to accomplish anything that has a chance of really lasting, they would have to go, sooner or later. I do think that the fanatical adherence to Horde Vs Alliance (and the specific Horde and Alliance makeup) has been a huge millstone around the game's neck, especially storywise, though.

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You jest, but I think a big issue with this game is the attempts to keep getting bigger and bigger. I'd be fine with a "lateral expansion" where instead of "we must fight to save us from X new boss" it's moving to something like the underworld Hearthstone expansion where your characters big mission is to take over/ bring to justice the underworld.
You'd have to establish that underworld exists first, though, and give players a reason to care. It's hard enough to go from world ending threats to faction bullshit, but going from there to treating something like the Steamwheedle Cartel or South Seas Pirates like a legitimate threat is a really tough sell.

That said, we have to go somewhere from here, and I honestly have no idea where that might be at this point. People are sick of faction conflict, and there's really nothing left to bother us when it comes to global threats, so that leaves . . . yeah, I got nothin'.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
You'd have to establish that underworld exists first, though, and give players a reason to care. It's hard enough to go from world ending threats to faction bullshit, but going from there to treating something like the Steamwheedle Cartel or South Seas Pirates like a legitimate threat is a really tough sell.

That said, we have to go somewhere from here, and I honestly have no idea where that might be at this point. People are sick of faction conflict, and there's really nothing left to bother us when it comes to global threats, so that leaves . . . yeah, I got nothin'.
SG-Warcraft?

JustJo

Mother Knows Best
Staff member
RPGnet Member
It doesn't help that they both have really growly, similar voices.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I don't mind the escalation either (Although I think endless escalation can go too far. Its okay to take a breather every now and again).

Its just... we did this story already, Its like they took the script for Cataclysm, crossed out Garrosh's name and put in Sylvanas, and done. I'm tired of this set up. I'm tired of the Horde being beat with the villain stick.

(Also, for another Hearthstone reference, they did their Old Gods story back in 2016. And they followed it up with.... a reimagining of Karazhan as a swining seventies party with Medivh as the most interesting man in Azeroth. So you don't always have to escalate).

Esckey

Validated User
Its just... we did this story already, Its like they took the script for Cataclysm, crossed out Garrosh's name and put in Sylvanas, and done. I'm tired of this set up. I'm tired of the Horde being beat with the villain stick.
Was about to post this as well. When the news that the Horde would be the bad guys hit, didn't Blizzard say something like "Trust us, this time it's different and better" I don't see where there difference is or how any of this is better. It wasn't all that good the first time around, thought it would be hard to make it worse..........some how they managed.

chrisinpm

Validated User
Was about to post this as well. When the news that the Horde would be the bad guys hit, didn't Blizzard say something like "Trust us, this time it's different and better" I don't see where there difference is or how any of this is better. It wasn't all that good the first time around, thought it would be hard to make it worse..........some how they managed.
We were definitely Todd Howard'ed with that statement.

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
Is there some other cinematic that hasn't been posted yet? Because the one posted doesn't really tell us anything new except that maybe Blizzard's finally doing what Horde players have been complaining about for some time now. The arc's problems started in the Legion pre-release. This is just the "fucking finally" moment of hopefully getting past all this stupidity.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Its really stupid because the adventure RIGHT BEFORE THIS ONE was about Azeroth facing a foe so big the Horde and Alliance couldn't afford to keep up their petty infighting. The Burning Legion was full on invading Azeroth, a massive immortal demon army. You think fighting them, losing their then leaders (Varian and Vol'jin) as well as Tirion Fordring would have been enough to convince everyone "Hey, this petty infighting is dumb, lets knock it off."

I mean hell, the opening Legion cinematic had Varian and Sylvanas charging into battle, watching each others backs, fighting the Legion. It was a cool ass moment.

But did they keep it up? Nope. They were like "Hey I just watched James Cameron's Avatar, you know what would be cool? If we did the whole destroy Big Tree scene, but with Sylvanas."

Just.....uuuuuuugh. That hurt me especially being a Forsaken player. I remember my first in game encounter was Garrosh was him being rude to Sylvanas and basically saying she was no better than the Lich King, and I was like "....I'm gonna kill this mother fucker for that."* But yeah, you had to go and prove fucking Garrosh right huh Blizzard? Not cool.

*And for the record I did eventually keep that promise, since in Warlord of Draenor there's a quest you can do where you can raid Garrosh' stronghold and kick his ass, and its not tied to any instance its just a normal quest. Unfortunately the way it plays out he sucker punches you at the last minute and then Thrall is hte one who kills him. But whatevs.

Top Bottom