• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WoW] Post Legion expansion Speculation/Rumors/Spoilers - "Battle for Azeroth"

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
Garrosh was right in the moment he insults Sylvanas. She's been a Lich Queen wannabe since I started playing the game in Mists. And that scene in particular is from Cataclysm, so at least as far back as then. Probably since game start.

Knight of Ravens

Validated User
I'll admit the first thing that popped into my head upon watching Safe Haven was in response to the "And where are they?" "Not far," exchange, which put me in mind of "It's funny that I only ever see two of you, it's almost like the studio couldn't afford another X-Man orc..."

Vault Dweller

Bard of Hope
Validated User
I'd really just prefer a Duumvirate of Lor'Themar and Thalyssra to take the reigns of the Horde at this point. The two elven races seem to have their shit together in the main part, a strong and mutually respectful relationship between Silvermoon and Suramar, and at least a partial disdain for the stupid faction war in favour of more productive endeavours.

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
Honestly, it feels like they should pull a FF14 on WoW and just burn the place down and start relatively clean, far enough into the future that they can do away with the factions. There's no short-term way to get rid of them that would make in-universe sense.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Honestly, it feels like they should pull a FF14 on WoW and just burn the place down and start relatively clean, far enough into the future that they can do away with the factions. There's no short-term way to get rid of them that would make in-universe sense.
Again, I gotta bring up Hearthstone. In particular this piece of artwork:

The Implication is that this takes place in the future, and the only memory of the old conflict between the Alliance and Horde is a children's card game, and all the kids of the different factions are playing together.

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
Garrosh was right in the moment he insults Sylvanas. She's been a Lich Queen wannabe since I started playing the game in Mists.
Watching folks playing in the WoW classic beta has reminded me of how much rationalizing a bunch of us had to do right from the very beginning. The apothecaries are right there, explaining how, yeah, Sylvanas wants them to make a better plague, and in retrospect I see now how much I was doing in the line of "oh if only the Tzar knew what the Cossacks were doing, he'd put a stop to it" thinking.

Honestly, it sucks. I wanted the Forsaken to be something much more multi-faceted than what they turned out to be.

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
The WoW Developer Diary about the making of the original game gave the impression that Chris Metzen was the only one who wanted the forsaken to be multi-faceted, while everyone else at the company designed them to be bad guys and called them the Scourge. There's a lot of potential for them to be multi-faceted, which they damn well should be, but there was (and from the look of things, still is) little support for that. And at least from the perspective given in that book, Blizzard's pretty contemptuous of writers, or at least doesn't see much value in them. Judging from the WoW story to date, that still seems to be the case.

ESkemp

Validated User
Honestly, it sucks. I wanted the Forsaken to be something much more multi-faceted than what they turned out to be.
Pretty much. It's irritating because they put some of that right in the starter quests in Tirisfal, ideas about loss and identity and trying to survive in the face of, among other things, genocidal zealots -- and then of course it turns out The Scarlet Crusade Was Right All Along.

I still kind of regret that I'm not playing WoW with my wife any more, because teaming up as a couple of Forsaken was a lovely way to experience the world for the first time, but if I'm going to be told that what I want out of the game is wrong and I should never have wanted it in the first place, I'm not going to pay cash to attend that lecture.

Isnah

Validated User
And at least from the perspective given in that book, Blizzard's pretty contemptuous of writers, or at least doesn't see much value in them. Judging from the WoW story to date, that still seems to be the case.
Judging from any game that doesn't heavily feature worldbuilding(e.g. Starcraft, Warcraft 3) this must be the case. Blizz is quite good at worldbuilding, but stories, nah they're worse as many fanfiction writers.

Top Bottom