• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WoW] Post Legion expansion Speculation/Rumors/Spoilers - "Battle for Azeroth"

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You can get them up to ilevel 425 with the pearls, yes. The ethereal at your settlement will hook you up.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
Azshara to me, from her warbringers segment is far more interesting than sylvanus. I mean, sitting there while you're drowning and telling the Cthuthloid monster "yeah, no, I'm in this as a partner or I'll drown and you can spend the next few thousand years trapped" immediately makes her more interesting and to be blunt, for all that she's a horrible person, more likable than the Banshee queen.

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Azshara to me, from her warbringers segment is far more interesting than sylvanus. I mean, sitting there while you're drowning and telling the Cthuthloid monster "yeah, no, I'm in this as a partner or I'll drown and you can spend the next few thousand years trapped" immediately makes her more interesting and to be blunt, for all that she's a horrible person, more likable than the Banshee queen.
Well, yeah. Instead of using her victimhood as an excuse to do something terrible she is instead exercising agency and being terrible on her own terms, which is always a more interesting approach from a storytelling perspective. But she's still terrible. I'll give her points for her Warbringers segment -- it makes her badass as fuck -- but she still fucked her people over big time. The fact she's a tragic character rather than a pathetic one has little bearing on the matter.

Propagandor

Square-Cube Law Compliant
Validated User
I am curious to see what Azshara has planned. She's working with Nzoth but I can't see her releasing it on the world unless it benefits her in some way. Once Nzoth gets fully loose it won't need her anymore.

It's very likely she betrays Nzoth and makes her own bid for godhood.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
Well, yeah. Instead of using her victimhood as an excuse to do something terrible she is instead exercising agency and being terrible on her own terms, which is always a more interesting approach from a storytelling perspective. But she's still terrible. I'll give her points for her Warbringers segment -- it makes her badass as fuck -- but she still fucked her people over big time. The fact she's a tragic character rather than a pathetic one has little bearing on the matter.
Well another reason I like her is I have far less worry that Blizzard is going to pull a last second: But Truly, Sylvanus was a victim and proved herself to be the best of us all.

I mean, sure, it's possible to do nuanced villains where you can mourn thier death, but I think we can all agree that Blizzard can't do it, so why not go for the THERE ARE NO BREAKS ON THIS TRAIN, GUYS! Villain who drops all the heroes into a ocean floor surrounded by walls of water and drops in to snark at them now and then, because fuck you, that's why. At least she's fun and we don't have to worry about a last second, poorly done, turn. :).

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User

That's my thing; for me baddies work best when they're....baddies? I don't mind tragedy in a background, but you CAN have a villain who HAS had tragic happenings, but still make them not use said tragedy as an excuse(even if it might be tied in.) I think that's the key point.

There can be nuanced villains, 'friendly enemies'(who are antagonists but are actually like, cool with you), or even just sorta what I like to call 'fun villains'(what's consider 'fun' is a YMMV thing. my mother was a huge Sopranos fan back in the day, for example, and I heard her laughing heavily one day. I asked her what happened and she said 'I'm watching the Sopranos, and Tony is awful, but you can't help but laugh/cheer.'). but Sylvanas just comes off as terribly written, unfun, full of excuses, and not someone you can even like, 'back' like 'hey they're fun at least.' And I agree, Azshara is fun. I mean for christ's sake you can emote at her and get various effects. She knows what she is, she doesn't pretend to be anything but, and it works.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
Yeah. Because every time Blizz tries for "morally ambiguous" it's a hot mess. I prefer Azshara because sure, she'll tie the orphans to the train tracks and she'll ask you if the pink or blue ropes look best. But she's never going to wail: Oh WOE! WOE IS ME FOR BEING ON THIS TERRIBLE TRACK!

Esckey

Validated User
but Sylvanas just comes off as terribly written, unfun, full of excuses, and not someone you can even like, 'back' like 'hey they're fun at least.'
IMO this isn't limited to Sylvanas or villains. IMO, it applies to all of their major characters recently.

chrisinpm

Validated User
Questgiver: "Kill 25 hydras."

Me: "..."

(goes off and commits a hydra genocide)

Me (30 minutes of work later): "OK, I'm done."

Questgiver: "Great! Here's 25 War Resources and 50 Unshackled Rep!"

.... f*ck you, Blizzard. F*ck. You.

Top Bottom