[Wraith] Upcoming supplement: The Book of Oblivion

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
It formally goes on the Onyx Path public calendar next week, but I have the okay to talk about it now, so...Matthew Dawkins and I, Bruce Baugh, are co-developing The Book of Oblivion, a 160-page, 96,000-word supplement for Wraith: The Oblivion. Contents will include: more about the Tempest, past and present; more about the Labyrinth and inhabitants, including new Spectral castes and new ways of using the Labyrinth in play; more about Shadows, including new archetypes and collective Thorns; disasters in the mortal world and what they mean for the Restless Dead; Spectre cults for the 21st century; fresh looks at the Dark Kingdom beyond Stygia (with fresh perspectives from writers with relevant backgrounds); more Necropoli to show off how varied the Underworld's cities are, ready for use in chronicles.

The authors list will get publicized once we have the paperwork done. There's "done" in the sense that everybody agrees we'll do it, and there's "done" in the sense of actually having the documents that formalize the terms. :) I can say now, though, that it's a delightful mix of old-time White Wolf veterans, people who've done great work more recently with Onyx Path (including several Wr20 authors), and people new to OP and/or the rolegaming biz who bring experience from other kinds of writing, living, and all that.

The writing will be happening...well, it's already underway, and will be done in the summer. Then production happens. When it has a publication date arranged, y'all will hear about it promptly, because someone writing this post will be happy to share it.

And now you know!

Miss Atomic Bomb

Welcome to your life. There's no turning back.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In World of Warcraft, there used to be a quest that gave you a tome called Studies in Spirit Speaking. The book:

I always think of that when seeing BoO.
In Ultima Online, when you were playing as a ghost, everything you said got changed into various forms of "Ooo ooo" unless the person viewing it had Spirit Speak.

Last edited:

Ghola

Veteran of 100k psychic wars
Validated User
Excellent. I meant to ask about this and then completely forgot, but the answer appears anyway. That's service!

I thought that BoO (which I shall always refer to it now) was going to be a compilation of reprinted material. I never imagined Wraith would be getting new stuff so this is welcome news.

IanWatson

Pharos
Validated User
Excellent. I meant to ask about this and then completely forgot, but the answer appears anyway. That's service!

I thought that BoO (which I shall always refer to it now) was going to be a compilation of reprinted material. I never imagined Wraith would be getting new stuff so this is welcome news.
This pops up a lot in relation to the 20th Anniversary Edition stuff. In general, we don't do compilations: everything's already available in perpetuity on DriveThruRPG so there's not much point. Everything we do is new.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Looking forward to this. Doomslayers: Into the Labyrinth is one of my favorite game books White Wolf ever put out so this is very welcome.

Top Bottom