• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Wrath and Glory [merged]

Professor Polyhedral

Banned
Validated User
I see, so what you're saying is that Tier array in the English book gives you more attribute/skill points per tier, and that's why it costs more?

Shining Dragon

Tough Tiger Fist
Validated User
I see, so what you're saying is that Tier array in the English book gives you more attribute/skill points per tier, and that's why it costs more?
Yes. But you don’t need to buy, for example, the Tier 3 array if you are creating Tier 3 characters. The criticism discussed is that some archetypes + skill/attribute arrays are not possible if you assume you must buy tier X arrays for a Tier X campaign.

Zehnseiter

Validated User
Given that some of the designers of the game post on RPG.net and might be following this discussion here as well I wonder how often they have cursed maths by now....

Reading this thread must give the impression that the most confusing part of their game are the examples on how you spend your points. :p

At least I can say that while I have yet to actually play the game reading it has been pretty interesting so far. It looks like a game with that I can have a lot of fun. And I say that as someone who isn't the greatest fan of W40K in general. I tried Dark Heresy once and it didn't really click with me. This game ? It really encourages you to mix all that crazy stuff that happens in W40k together and just run with it. :)

A question for those that have them. I am eyeing those Critical Hit cards that Ulisses offers for the game. Are they good ?

Last edited:

Professor Polyhedral

Banned
Validated User
Yes. But you don’t need to buy, for example, the Tier 3 array if you are creating Tier 3 characters. The criticism discussed is that some archetypes + skill/attribute arrays are not possible if you assume you must buy tier X arrays for a Tier X campaign.
I understand that, I was just clarifying the text. Thank you

sparrow

Validated User
The new W&G system is actually pretty good. The test pool mechanic is nice and easy (roll a bunch of d6s and look for 4-6). There are a bunch of roleplaying mechanics built on: Wrath die (one of your test dice can trigger crits), Wrath Points (the old Fate Points of WFRP), Glory Points (gained through play), etc. Combat runs pretty smoothly given the weapons and power level of marines and such. The only clunky aspect of combat is the separate Damage roll but I think they created that mechanic to allow for better differentiation between weapons (bolters more likely to cause extra wounds, etc). The psyker rules are good though the vehicle and chaos/corruption rules are a bit thin.

Anyway considering playing should look for the character generator spreadsheet someone created (it helps a bunch) and also the bot dice roller on Discord. Both streamline play a lot.

Scutarii

Validated User
My group played W&G for a while using the English version PDF and ran into the issue with the skill/attribute packages being labelled and pointed weirdly. The character creation was pretty quick apart from spending points on attributes.

Pick race, pick archetype, pick attribute array, pick skill array, grab a talent/psychic power or two. Write it down. Done. Would've been great if two (of 4) players didn't run into the issue with points not adding up for the tier and so went back and counted up, fiddled and so on.

It worked but it added an extra half an hour to character creation and did put us into a bit more of a negative mindset about the game.

Edit: part of the problem was that, as first time players, we assumed the enemies in the book would have had their stats balanced around players having stats/skills like those in the packaged tier arrays and thus making a character with inferior stats/skills for that tier would leave them behind the curve.

The options to grab and swap equipment also felt clunky but otherwise worked.

Game played fine. Kind of wish there was more content out for it, feels like it dropped last year and...silence.

Last edited:

Zehnseiter

Validated User
Game played fine. Kind of wish there was more content out for it, feels like it dropped last year and...silence.
My suspicion is that it will drop in waves. Long breaks between sets of books and products like card decks and maps like the region sets in TDE do.

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
At least I can say that while I have yet to actually play the game reading it has been pretty interesting so far. It looks like a game with that I can have a lot of fun. And I say that as someone who isn't the greatest fan of W40K in general. I tried Dark Heresy once and it didn't really click with me. This game ? It really encourages you to mix all that crazy stuff that happens in W40k together and just run with it. :)
This is my experience with it, too. I've been very, very casually acquainted with the 40K milieu for a long time, but recently got more interested in the setting. I've been reading a bunch of the novels, and Wrath & Glory goes great with that.

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
A question for those that have them. I am eyeing those Critical Hit cards that Ulisses offers for the game. Are they good ?
I would say so, after running a couple of demos with them. Same results as the crit table in the book, but it's faster and simpler to draw a card (or let the player draw a card) than to flip to the table in the book and roll, which has always been a cumbersome side effect of the big crit tables in WFRP and the FFG 40kRPGs. It speeds up play for the part of the game that needs to be fast and frantic.

Zehnseiter

Validated User
I would say so, after running a couple of demos with them. Same results as the crit table in the book, but it's faster and simpler to draw a card (or let the player draw a card) than to flip to the table in the book and roll, which has always been a cumbersome side effect of the big crit tables in WFRP and the FFG 40kRPGs. It speeds up play for the part of the game that needs to be fast and frantic.
Thanks. What variant are they using for them ? Cards with colour pictures like lets say the Torg Eternity deck or are they pure rule text cards like for example the skill or equipment cards Ulisses does for their games ?

Top Bottom