Wrath and Glory [merged]

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
The curmugeon in me is increasingly fed up of new games that put great emphasis on lovely production values, but seemingly leave editing as an afterthought. I guess it's the former that grabs all the attention (and sales), and if the latter makes the game a chore to play, who cares; after all how many RPGs purchased are actually played, let alone re-reviewed?

As a big 40K fan, I think I'll pass on W&G for now.
Seriously? This is how I look at RPGs as of late. There are some really beautiful books with amazing art and production values. However, when you actually sit down and try to read the book, let alone run it, you think to yourself, "Did they actually edit this or anything?"

The production values on Wrath and Glory are a bit disappointing honestly but the actual layout of the book from my point of view is a nightmare. Trying to do anything with the PDF is horrible.

J.T.

Validated User
I've just picked up some small red low tack sticky dots going to put them next to the sections in the book that the errata refers to so I can read the update as I read the book

Zehnseiter

Validated User
The production values on Wrath and Glory are a bit disappointing honestly but the actual layout of the book from my point of view is a nightmare. Trying to do anything with the PDF is horrible.
My impression so far is that it is about average when it comes to layout. Nothing to get exited about but also nowhere near the problems that I have with for example Exalted 3E or V5.

But yeah Ulisses can do better. When I compare it to their other RPGs I would rank it as the weakest when it comes to layout and look. It is definitely at the bottom of the raising scale of Torg Eternity, TDE and Hexxen 1733. (Naturally that is my personal opinion.)

Last edited:

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
My impression so far is that it is about average when it comes to layout. Nothing to get exited about but also nowhere near the problems that I have with for example Exalted 3E or V5.
I don't have 3E or V5 to compare it with honestly. I find it on par with something like Mutant Chronicles 3e. The book looks pretty but it is quite annoying trying to figure where things are. Separate chapters that should have been merged together.

Zehnseiter

Validated User
Is character creation as clunky as it looks? Cause from my read last night it feels intensely clunky.
Medium difficulty imho. It is not as dense as for example Shadowrun or TDE. You don't need not as much system knowledge as for example in Exalted to make a character. The pre-build attribute and skill packages help a lot if you want to do it quick and me it really helps that the Archtypes give you Wargear packages.

Neaden

Validated User
Is character creation as clunky as it looks? Cause from my read last night it feels intensely clunky.

Dragonlover
Yes. Maybe it gets better after you do it multiple times but the first couple are a real pain. Overall I would say that I think the whole species/career/tier idea was a mistake from a usability stand point.

Dragonlover

Validated User
So having just rolled up a Tier 2 Death Cult Assassin in about two hours, some thoughts:

I think you have to go in with a reasonably clear idea of what you want your character to be good and bad at, because it'll cut down on a lot of "where do I put the numbers" faff.

Why the hell aren't prerequisites paid for in the Archetype build costs? It'd be smoother. Similarly, in the bit about Rank they could have just said "A characters Rank bonus is equal to their Rank" and not messed around with yet another table.

I can't work out what the Power Field keyword does.

I've got a horrible feeling that everyone's statlines are gonna come out awfully similar unless people get creative with the point buy. I managed to get Weapon Skill to 5, but I had to go to Fellowship 1 to do so.

Random observation: a shit hot weaponsmith will also be a consummate warrior, because repairing weapons works off Weapon/Ballistic Skill.

My plan now I have a character rolled up is to read the 'how the game is played' sections with something concrete to refer to. I'll no doubt have more thoughts after that.

Dragonlover

Top Bottom