Wrath and Glory: Your experiences so far?

tkalamov

Validated User
Hi all. I've had the W&G core book for a while and looked through some of the discussions and homebrews that have been floating around.

I am interested in the experiences people here have had with the game, what you enjoyed about it, what you didn't, etc. I am well aware of the editing issues, and that discussion is a well-trodden path, so I'd prefer if we could avoid it in this thread. :)

Scutarii

Validated User
Generally pretty positive. Resolution is basic d6 dice pools with a little quirk on 6s, there are a variety of character options at the beginning and it all seems to fit together well. Combat worked well with some options on player and GM side moment to moment but not too much as to be overwhelming,

Cons mostly around how much material there is. At character creation there's plenty to play around with but after a short while you kind of run out of interesting or fun things to look forward to buying with your XP only really incrementing core stat numbers one by one, especially for anyone playing a Xenos. Equipment and what you can start with etc. is confusingly presented.

IMO it's the best 40k RPG ever produced. There just needs to be MORE of it to really come into its own!

tkalamov

Validated User
Generally pretty positive. Resolution is basic d6 dice pools with a little quirk on 6s, there are a variety of character options at the beginning and it all seems to fit together well. Combat worked well with some options on player and GM side moment to moment but not too much as to be overwhelming,

Cons mostly around how much material there is. At character creation there's plenty to play around with but after a short while you kind of run out of interesting or fun things to look forward to buying with your XP only really incrementing core stat numbers one by one, especially for anyone playing a Xenos. Equipment and what you can start with etc. is confusingly presented.

IMO it's the best 40k RPG ever produced. There just needs to be MORE of it to really come into its own!
As far as I understand, W&G is quite malleable? As in, very easy to homebrew your own classes and archetypes, and adding extra skills, talents, even a characteristic or two, would be fairly doable without really breaking anything. Or am I mistaken?

Scutarii

Validated User
As far as I understand, W&G is quite malleable? As in, very easy to homebrew your own classes and archetypes, and adding extra skills, talents, even a characteristic or two, would be fairly doable without really breaking anything. Or am I mistaken?
Sure. But there are plenty of other games I could be playing and I'd rather not spend my time homebrewing when I could be playing/running instead.

Paul Rogers

Validated User
I've only played in a couple of games (one very brief one and the first session of an ongoing campaign that started last week) and so whilst I've read the rulebook a lot, I have only limited experience in actual play (1 at Tier 3 and 1 at Tier 2).

Overall my impressions are positive. For the most part I like it over the FFG variants, in large part due to simplicity and a feeling of competency, as well as having everything you need (if not everything you want) in the core rules. I also have access to the Ogryn and Ratling rules via a kickstarter backer (our GM) and my feeling is they might get changed before print because they both seem a little OP for the cost (of course they are very focused options).

Takeaways - the core mechanics are fine, very functional, can be a little swingy but actually do a reasonable job of not being too disruptively swingy in that you have a good shot at succeeding but getting that exceptional success isn't super likely against high or Average TN's due to needing 6's over the base success total.

The difficulties for interaction attacks seem either a bit too high or maybe a bit too low as it isn't made exactly clear how you calculate the total (it's highest of skill rating or resolve, but is that with or with attribute bonus) If it's with then that basically means it's never resolve (or really, very rarely as resolve is willpower -1 and so Intimidation at least would always be higher) (also using this metric NPCs will always be really difficult to use interaction attacks against as they tend to have a default skill rating and that's usually going to be around 5 or 6).

I recognise this is a super specific example and quite easily houseruled but as my character has an intimidation build it's suddenly been something I've noticed.

Otherwise things seem quite well balanced for the most part. Tier 2 and 3 seem to be the most entertaining (though tastes will vary) and at Tier 3 you tend to be very competent at a lot of things whereas two the points feel much more precious which I think I like more.

Will give more thoughts as I think of them.

Morty

Validated User
I just finished running a short campaign in it. As others said, it's a fine enough system and doesn't have the FFG games' annoying swinginess and having to pay through your nose to be halfway competent at something. But it does suffer from a lack of material. The promised expansions don't seem to have materialized yet. Also, the book is poorly edited, sometimes contradictory and frequently unclear on how something works.

harlokin

Sinister Henchman
Validated User
I appreciate that W&G has it's fans, but I'd really like a company like Modiphius to get a chance to do a 40K RPG.

KaijuGooGoo

Not Woke until I’ve had my Coffee
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I appreciate that W&G has it's fans, but I'd really like a company like Modiphius to get a chance to do a 40K RPG.

On the plus side, Modiphius could make a 40k by revising/updating the 2D20 Mutant Chronicles rules.

On the minus side, I think W&G was on to something good with its Tier system, although the implementation was a bit off.

Top Bottom