• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Wrestlepack] Discussion XI: Inevitable Overbooked Heel Turn

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In the Undertaker video I linked yesterday, Super Eyepatch Wolf mentioned how Taker seemed to always be willing to help younger wrestlers get over. With all the stories about wrestlers holding younger guys down, who else was notable for being willing to raise them up?

I can remember how, on the "Rise and Fall of ECW" DVD, Paul Heyman talked about how willing Terry Funk was to help make other wrestlers, to the point where he says there wouldn't have been an ECW without him.
I'd look at Flair as a kind of anti-Hogan. He used his star power to go out and get his ass kicked on a regular basis. In an era of 1-hour time limit draws, he didn't eat a ton of pins, but he made a lot of people look amazing.

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I can remember how, on the "Rise and Fall of ECW" DVD, Paul Heyman talked about how willing Terry Funk was to help make other wrestlers, to the point where he says there wouldn't have been an ECW without him.
Flair to some extent - he would make literally anyone look good in the ring, but he was much more selective about whose push he would help out long term. He was a fan of Pillman and Sting, for example, and was a central figure in making Sting the next guy, but fought tooth and nail to avoid dropping the belt to Luger, and didn't think much of Cactus Jack. Cena's somewhat similar, in that he'll make anyone look good in the ring but is kind of a political non-entity. He never kept anyone down, AFAIK, but never fought to get them pushed, either. Which sucks because all of Cena's friends are the guys we want at the top of the card.

Egyptian

21st Century Digital Boy
Validated User
Well, Flair refused to drop the belt to Luger because there was already an agreement that he would drop it to Sting when Sting came back from the knee injury. I don't think based on how hard Flair worked to make Lex look good (and how good Lex was at the time) that he had anything against Luger.

Macho Man was another one who would use his position to help others, but he'd do it when it was right for business. Such as when he decided that it was time to put over DDP. He was the first big star to put Page over cleanly, and he didn't have to do it.

ViciousFish

Validated User
I know Scott Hall claims to be that kind of guy, using 1-2-3 Kid and Jericho as examples but I can’t think of anyone else.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
In the Undertaker video I linked yesterday, Super Eyepatch Wolf mentioned how Taker seemed to always be willing to help younger wrestlers get over. With all the stories about wrestlers holding younger guys down, who else was notable for being willing to raise them up?

Allison Danger, co-founder of Shimmer was only off the mid card when feuding with a heel like Portia Perez to help build her as a dastardly threat despite her small size or when she was tagging with Leva Bates. Mostly though she was having matches with wrestlers new to the company to show off how good they were and even when she won she'd get on the mic after and talk about how they impressed her with their skill and determination and how close they came to beating her and how the audience should expect big things from someone so talented.

ViciousFish

Validated User
I get why, from a completely storyline standpoint, they might think booking Kurt Angle vs Baron Corbin in Angle’s last match is a good idea but come on...

Ugly Man

Shaman Theme Jet Wink
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I get why, from a completely storyline standpoint, they might think booking Kurt Angle vs Baron Corbin in Angle’s last match is a good idea but come on...
I have a feeling it's a filler match until they can get confirmation John Cena can turn up. Cena being Agnles last opponent would be a bit of cyclic storytelling, but Cena might be too busy filming movies and growing weird hair.

Sark

Validated User
Didn't Foley and Snow job for people no one else would?
Both had that rep (Val Venis as well, but as with Snow that's partially due to his position in the company - when you're a trainer and a journeyman guy on the C show, you're putting people over. Some guys, particularly in the WWE, really like this role though. There's hardly any politics, you get to work competitive matches with a ton of different people that won't require you to kill yourself and carpenters tend to have longterm, consistent employment prospects), although most of the time when people talk about Foley laying down for everyone it's in the context of his non-WWF runs and considered kind of a negative. As one smartarse put it, when everyone goes over no-one gets over.

Top Bottom