• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Wrestlepack] Discussion XI: Inevitable Overbooked Heel Turn

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Maan, I'm trying to remember who it was. There was SOMEONE ear... BOB HOLLY! Or, well, Sparky Plugg back then. He'd had his debut, it tanked, he was jobbing to everyone … his was not a happy life. The WWX was about to have a show in his hometown and he kne his parents would be there to watch him and he knew that he was gonna just go out there for five minutes, look bad, do the job, then have to go home and try to explain to his folks that he was living the dream despite hating everything.

Enter Owen "Nugget" Hart.

Owen found out that it was Bob's hometown and flipped the script. Pulled strings to get whatever squash match it was killed, then had himself booked in there against Sparky.

And wound up losing to a surprise rollout, to a jobber, on Monday Night Raw, in front of millions of viewers.

Just so Bob could catch a break.

Absolutely made his year, Hell, his DECADE, and got him through the rough patch until he could eventually get a new persona and rebuild his career after having slotted a few years of working from underneath.

He NEVER forgot, and him talking about it the night after Owen died … he was just *broken*.

Owen Hart, man.

Took a dive for a nobody, just to be a nice guy.

Egyptian

21st Century Digital Boy
Validated User
Maan, I'm trying to remember who it was. There was SOMEONE ear... BOB HOLLY! Or, well, Sparky Plugg back then. He'd had his debut, it tanked, he was jobbing to everyone … his was not a happy life. The WWX was about to have a show in his hometown and he kne his parents would be there to watch him and he knew that he was gonna just go out there for five minutes, look bad, do the job, then have to go home and try to explain to his folks that he was living the dream despite hating everything.

Enter Owen "Nugget" Hart.

Owen found out that it was Bob's hometown and flipped the script. Pulled strings to get whatever squash match it was killed, then had himself booked in there against Sparky.

And wound up losing to a surprise rollout, to a jobber, on Monday Night Raw, in front of millions of viewers.

Just so Bob could catch a break.

Absolutely made his year, Hell, his DECADE, and got him through the rough patch until he could eventually get a new persona and rebuild his career after having slotted a few years of working from underneath.

He NEVER forgot, and him talking about it the night after Owen died … he was just *broken*.

Owen Hart, man.

Took a dive for a nobody, just to be a nice guy.
The lesson here (besides being nice) is 'know the right way to lose'. Some people, like Flair, or Owen, or the Midnight Express, they could lose to you without looking bad in the process. Arn Anderson was good at this too, but they ended up asking him to do it so often that he ended up being viewed as a gatekeeper rather than a main eventer in his own right.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
The lesson here (besides being nice) is 'know the right way to lose'. Some people, like Flair, or Owen, or the Midnight Express, they could lose to you without looking bad in the process. Arn Anderson was good at this too, but they ended up asking him to do it so often that he ended up being viewed as a gatekeeper rather than a main eventer in his own right.
It's not as flashy as being a main eventer but it's an important job.

Ugly Man

Shaman Theme Jet Wink
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well that’s the first time Travis Browne has won a fight in about four years.

ViciousFish

Validated User
I felt bad for that extra he laid into. That was a hell of a forearm and I doubt it was worked very much.

That Ronda match was how the majority of her matches should go

Ugly Man

Shaman Theme Jet Wink
RPGnet Member
Validated User
No, don't chant for the Miz, it's weird.

I'm loving the angle itself, because we're finally getting that Kofi push ten years after it should have happened, and Kofi vs Bryan will forever be a banger match I'm happy to see anywhere, but they're still missing the important addition of why Vince doesn't want Kofi at Wrestlemania.

Last edited:

ViciousFish

Validated User
WWE is selling Titan Towers and moving to a new, larger building they’re leasing.

Why they’re doing it makes total sense but it just feels wrong.

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
Rob Gronkowski announced his retirement and I can't help but wonder if the E is going to give him a call.

Top Bottom