• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Wrestlepack] Discussion XI: Inevitable Overbooked Heel Turn

ViciousFish

Validated User
They had All In in September and Double Or Nothing is next month. That’s it I imagine until they get on tv if the TBS thing is true.

Balac

Validated User
One thing I'm taking as a good sign for AEW is they signed Hikaru Shida, probably the best female wrestler not tied to a promotion. Extremely good in the ring, charismatic as hell and can switch to any needed roll at the drop of a hat. If you need someone to make your promotions women's division look legit it would be hard to do better.

Ugly Man

Shaman Theme Jet Wink
RPGnet Member
Validated User
At the moment, with the exception of Cody and the Bucks themselves their wrestlers are “independent contractors” too, although they have promised that all wrestlers will be actually employed if and when AEW are financially stable enough to do so.

There’s an awful lot of WWE wrestlers on the roster who are much, much better than their current booking. Even WWE can’t afford to keep signing big names for big money and then not use them when AEW is right there. Styles isn’t going anywhere, but I’ll be amazed if Karl Anderson is still in WWE once his contract runs out. Cesaro could walk into any promotion in the world. I could even see them throwing a bag of money at Asuka, fuck knows I would if I was booking a women’s division. Andrade is like if Del Rio could move like Mysterio and wasn’t a gaping dickhole backstage (although he’s currently in a relationship with Charlotte, so I doubt he’s going anywhere). Like, at least half the Cruiserweight roster would get a better shake out of AEW.

According to Meltzer Nakamura is checked out of wrestling at the moment. His family loves living in Florida, he’s making plenty of money and he probably loves having seven minute matches where people don’t kick him in the face for realsies. Considering he’s probably a couple of years max from his neck disintergrating and his head falling off like Kurt Angle I can’t blame him.

Godder

Remington Steele
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Asuka, Bayley and Sasha would make a very good addition to the current signings. Tenille Dashwood is also available.

Thomas Ufnal Crowlake

Validated User
Personally I don’t care if they compete with WWE. At this point I just want an alternative, and Impact isn’t that. ROH sure as fuck isn’t that having Enzo and Cass “invade”. I’m just hoping I get a decent 1-2 hour wrestling show that isn’t ashamed it’s a wrestling show. I’m pretty sure if there wasn’t so much name recognition, WrestleMania would be SportsEntertainmentMania by now.
I have had only a little contact with Impact, but why aren't they an alternative?

ViciousFish

Validated User
For me personally, they have TNA stink all over them. I’ve tried giving them a chance a few times but they always do something stupid or air a match taped somewhere else with terrible quality. I love indy wrestling. But if your show is airing matches that aren’t filmed in a quality that matches at least PWG back in the Legion Hall days, I don’t want to see it on my tv.

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have had only a little contact with Impact, but why aren't they an alternative?
Whatever else, they wouldn't still be on TV if the obscure channel they are on (the Pursuit Channel) wasn't also partially owned by the company that owns them. They are... bush league nowadays.

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
By the way, what's the reason that Vince doesn't want him being referenced during the Hall of Fame inductees' speeches? Just him being a weird old man?

Sark

Validated User
They used to be, back when they were on a real channel and were offering real money contracts.

Now they're too small to offer anyone a full time gig (there's a reason several TNA/Impact diehards turned backstage guys recently jumped to WWE - there's no longer anything there for those people). They do more house shows than they used to but they're airing on a super niche channel they could only get on because it's owned by the same company as them. They've had to cut costs and move into the realm of the super indy similar to what ROH was before Sinclair got involved. Minus the smark fans and workrate.

The show is arguably better than it's been in a long, long time (as it should be - if you can't get a decent episode out of that roster and that creative team, you done fucked up to a degree that even Russo can't dream of). But the budget cracks are showing and it'll be years before they can build back up into a legitimate alternative at the national level - if they ever can, because dislodging ROH and whatever comes out of AEW may well be beyond their capability.

ajdynon

Validated User
Apparently, Gargano vs Cole got 5.5 stars from Meltzer - the first WWE match to get above five stars.

Top Bottom