• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Wrestlepack] Discussion XI: Inevitable Overbooked Heel Turn

Giel M

Cheers!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
WWE does have a pretty bloated roster.

And, possibly unpopular opinion incoming warning, having NXT, a development program that's pubically visible, is NOT helping them right now. Whenever they bring up someone from NXT, they were probably a big deal there! And a portion of their fan base, those that FOLLOW NXT, expect them to be a big deal on the main roster too. I'm not immune myself. I always think they should push Sami, Fin, Joe, Sasha and Bayley harder, because those were the people on top in NXT when I was religiously following that.

They should do a "reality" show on the Network following the next group of call-ups whilst they adjust to being in the "Big Leagues" now. Put the right spin on it, and it'd do wonders to lower the expectations for NXT followers/Network subscribers.

Dawgstar

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It doesn't help that separate booking committees do both shows. Somebody who was a Big Deal in NXT runs the risk of being seen as too little or fat or ugly or Southern or whatever bug gets stuck in Dunn's craw this week.

Giel M

Cheers!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My point is: We've GOT to stop blaming Dunn, or Vunce, when our favourite NXT star doesn't get the major push we think they deserve.

COULD Bayley or Sasha carry the women's division? Could Sami, Joe and Fin carry the men's? Ofcourse! Could Ember Moon or Andrade too? Ofcourse!

But Rhonda, the Bella's, Rollins, Reigns and Cena could do a fine job without any of 'em too.

Phantom Stranger

Welcome to Casablanca
Validated User
And, possibly unpopular opinion incoming warning, having NXT, a development program that's pubically visible, is NOT helping them right now.
I don't think HAVING a program like NXT is the problem. I think doing twice-yearly callups, plus extras, when the main roster doesn't shed anyone is the problem.

Worth noting, btw, that Rollins and Reigns are both NXT callups. Cena was a product of an NXT predecessor. No idea on the Bellas.

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The problem with NXT, to the extent there is one, is that it's booked to the hardcores and the main roster isn't. (If you're posting in this thread, make no mistake, you are a hardcore.) And then what Giel said - the hardcore fans expect their NXT favorites to be main roster players, and when they aren't they get mad. Hell, even when they are they get mad.

The main roster is incredibly bloated, and frankly the best thing that could happen to WWE is if some of them take AEW deals. I like Sasha and Bayley and I'm way more likely to watch them in WWE than AEW, but they're far from irreplaceable and WWE could lose ten more people on their level and probably be the better for it.

(They should push Joe harder but that's because Joe is both awesome and coming to the end of his useful top guy shelf life. Get the juice out of him while you can.)

Sark

Validated User
The secondary problem with NXT is that it stopped being a developmental league quite a while back. It's now where Trips gets to live out his fantasies of being a super-indy promoter. There's hardly a notable person on that roster that isn't already a seasoned TV worker and the angles are pitting experienced wrestlers against each other rather than having the journeymen work with the greenhorns.

I ain't complaining, because it's given a lot of guys damn good gigs they wouldn't have gotten anywhere else and brought us tremendous matches, but NXT isn't FCW or OVW. It's effectively a promotion unto itself that periodically gets raided by the real big boy. And that causes issues when people try to treat it as what the WWEs farm leagues used to be - including the WWE itself, as NXT really is failing the actual developmental guys sent there.

Last edited:

ajdynon

Validated User
I heard some talk a little while ago that NXT is moving from a developmental to a third brand, and wrestlers would be encouraged to stay in NXT if it seems a better fit, which... the best comparison I can draw is a conversation I had once with a fellow joshi fan about All Japan Women's "retire at 25" rule they had until the mid 90s. He said that while he never agreed with the rule, at least it meant the roster kept turning over and they didn't have the same wrestlers and matches year after year. As someone who pays more attention to NXT than the main roster, I feel people getting called up is one of the things that helps NXT keep feeling fresh.

Sark

Validated User
Isn't Velveteen an actual developmental guy?
Kind of. He's not an indy legend the way a lot of signings were, but he wasn't completely green when they got him either - while most of the old style WWE developmental guys were broken in and trained by one of the developmental promotions, Dream's a MCW guy who'd been kicking around the indies for a few years before crashing out of Tough Enough and being given the "you've got talent, come back when you're not an arsehole" talk.

He's done very well for himself, but if you look at his matches in NXT prior to him being rebranded and given a push, you start to see where it could've fallen apart very easily - he spent a lot of time in the ring with guys who were Not Good and relatively little working with people who could pass things on.

Ugly Man

Shaman Theme Jet Wink
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I won’t get into the roster moves until tomorrow, but why the tap dancing fuck has Vince renamed the War Raiders (who were ALREADY renamed from War Machine!)? The Viking Experience sounds like a fucking roller coaster at Universal Studios, not a tag team!

Top Bottom