• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Wrestlepack] Discussion XI: Inevitable Overbooked Heel Turn

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
WCW would have had at least another 2 or 3 years to turn things around if Turner hadn't been ousted. He was nothing if not loyal to wrestling, since it put his SuperStation on the map in the 70s and 80s.
One of my favorite Onion articles ever was Turner travelling back Terminator-style to prevent the Time-Warner merger.

Sark

Validated User
Normally I'd agree, but it seems unlikely that WCW was allowed to continue to lose such large amounts unless there was something somewhere.
Ted Turner was personally loyal to WCW and it did generally draw ratings which helped the station overall (notably, even during the early 90s period when WCW was cancelling house shows because they couldn't give tickets away and had guys jumping ship in the hopes of actually having events to work, their TV did just fine at getting eyeballs on the product). A lot of people in TBS hated the damn show - and, although its hard to tell with the usual WCW mismanagement, probably actively sabotaged it at times - but ol Ted believed deep in his heart that it just wasn't a Turner product without wrasslin on there somewhere.

The flipside to Bischoffs claim is that, while WCWs income was defrayed over several different corporate areas, so were their expenses. A number of their big names, particularly Hogan (because in theory he was meant to be doing televised stuff beyond wrestling) but not just him, were on TBS contracts rather than WCW ones so the money came out of HQ. And yes, this kind of fucked up corporate web structure helped screw up their planning and locker room management even worse than it normally would've been. Hard to hold a politician to account when it turns out nobody in the office actually has direct authority over him.

This isn't particularly unusual in territorial wrestling promotions (and even the second-tier national promotions). TNA's bled money for just about its entire existence yet somehow stuck around. ROH went through several backers before Sinclair and even ended up lying to their other backers at the time about whether they'd removed a particular money mark from the company. Stampede was boom and bust, more bust than boom. So was Puerto Rico. WCCW and the AWA hung on for the better part of a decade beyond their profitability. Even the WWF nearly went bankrupt on multiple occasions.

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
When they were at their absolute best weren't they both in different promotions?
Barry had a short, uneventful 89/90 WWF run. He was in a feud with Paul Roma (PAUL ROMA!) while the Hart Foundation screwed around with Dino Bravo and Greg Valentine. I think we can all agree a Bret/Barry feud would have been a better use of everyone's time.

Sark

Validated User
Barry had a short, uneventful 89/90 WWF run. He was in a feud with Paul Roma (PAUL ROMA!) while the Hart Foundation screwed around with Dino Bravo and Greg Valentine. I think we can all agree a Bret/Barry feud would have been a better use of everyone's time.
Maybe not. That 89 run is Barry in full on "I'm banging a heiress and my family is about to go to jail, I don't give a single fuck" mode. If he wasn't going to bring it, he's better off dragging down someone who wasn't going to rise anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom