[Wrestlepack] Discussion XI: Inevitable Overbooked Heel Turn

Egyptian

21st Century Digital Boy
Validated User
What has McMahon spooked is the idea that he might get into a bidding war for the services of someone who is over. He won't be the only big show in town, and he will have to pay more to convince his independent contractors to stay put.

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's Khan. That's a lot of money and contacts. Plus a little of what Balac said - twenty five years ago, this would've looked like fun, and now it's just a huge pain in the ass.

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
So, if the WWE trying to lock people down with long-term, high-money contracts (or adding time to existing contracts if someone is injured) wasn't a sign of it, then Stephanie McMahon acknowledging in a backstage talk with talent that AEW is legitimate competition must mean that Vince is, if not worried, at least wary about what AEW means for his almost generation-long unchallenged control of the American wrestling scene.

What do you think has McMahon spooked the most? The Khan war chest? The fact that AEW creative is not under the thumbs of relics like Russo, Hogan, Bischoff et al? That AEW is NOT going to try to be WWE redux, thus not falling into the traps that TNA/Impact has in the past? That their talent now has an option to make money outside the WWE without having to go to Japan? Something that I'm missing?
At a guess I'd say a bit of all of that, but mostly Khan. (And now I have to imagine Vince yelling "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" whenever someone notable is signed to AEW)

Its been said by many people that Vince doesn't pay attention to the indies, so I wonder if prior to AEW he had any idea the Young Bucks/Omega/Bullet Club made serious money with stuff like the Hot Topic deal?

Sark

Validated User
Tony Khan is the CEO of AEW (and money mark).
Money whale, perhaps. Khan's got some loose experience in the sports industry (his family partially owns the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Premier League team Fullham and he's held what appear to be actual working positions at both) but most importantly he's got access to a potential budget that nobody in the business has ever had. They might never need that or even intend to make use of it, but Vince can't win by making this about the pocketbook.

DailyRich

Damn fool idealist
Validated User
You just know that, once Smackdown is on Fox, someone's going to show up on their NFL pre-game show for an interview and drop the 24/7 belt.

ViciousFish

Validated User
Money whale, perhaps. Khan's got some loose experience in the sports industry (his family partially owns the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Premier League team Fullham and he's held what appear to be actual working positions at both) but most importantly he's got access to a potential budget that nobody in the business has ever had. They might never need that or even intend to make use of it, but Vince can't win by making this about the pocketbook.
His revenue stream is based on replacement car parts. The dude could set an amount of money Vince has on fire and be relatively ok.

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
(his family partially owns the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Premier League team Fullham and he's held what appear to be actual working positions at both)
I believe Fulham just got relegated to the Champions League, but regardless, yeah, money.

ruckusmanager

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I believe Fulham just got relegated to the Champions League, but regardless, yeah, money.
I don't know about soccer, but the NFL doesn't let you play the part of owner unless you have some serious money (some fairly prominent people have even tried and failed on occasion).

I would say this almost seems vaguely WCW ver2.0, except that Kahn is an actual wrestling fan and also seems somewhat financially savvy. The wrestlers running the show also seem to respect the profession and aren't just out to line their own pockets and egos. Only time will tell on both accounts.

Top Bottom