• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Wrestlepack] Discussion XI: Inevitable Overbooked Heel Turn

ViciousFish

Validated User
The Mox/Janela match was right on the edge of too much for me. I think they’re going to struggle with that kind of match and casual fans.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
I've seen some people on reddit suggesting the chairshot might not have been as nasty as they made it look and checking out a replay video I think there might be some merit to it being more protected than it looked. As it's swinging at him he turns his head away and raises up his shoulder a bit. That last part is the key, it looks like the big impact that made all the noise might have been taken on his shoulder with the chair barely grazing his head with most of its momentum gone. Then he goes down and blades while the camera is off him, which is why the blood is coming from the wrong side of his head.

Sark

Validated User
I think they explicitly intended that one to go past hardcore to full blown death match territory. Someone elsewhere said that they don't seem to want to be a death match promotion but don't mind being a promotion with the occasional death match.
They booked Moxley vs Janela and let them lay the match out . If they weren't intending that to go into deathmatch territory, they're the most out of touch bookers since Watts was brought into WCW.

ruckusmanager

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Much as I'm not a fan of that style of wrestling, I think the back stories of seeing Moxley clearly having a ball doing what he was doing and Janela actually doing something far less dangerous than it looked helped make it much more palatable for me. I'm still trying to sort out my feelings about Cody going to town on the back of his head (I mean the blood was actually coming out of a straight line cut). Is it better knowing the bleeding is on purpose?

Ugly Man

Shaman Theme Jet Wink
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Apparently Terry Funk turned 75 on the 30th of June. Happy Birthday to him! Motherfucker is probably wrestling to celebrate.

I liked the show, although I'll agree on the hardcore match being right on the verge of being too much. And I really don't want unprotected headshots to be a thing again.

Also the only way Jebailey makes sense to me is if he's actually a parody of Shane McMahon. If he is, it's a bad joke and they should stop it, because Shane can work fairlly well, while Jebailey is about on a par with my pacemaker-having ass.

Cornette is being extremely Cornette on Twitter right now. It was insufficientlly 1982 for him.

Last edited:

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
I've seen some people on reddit suggesting the chairshot might not have been as nasty as they made it look and checking out a replay video I think there might be some merit to it being more protected than it looked. As it's swinging at him he turns his head away and raises up his shoulder a bit. That last part is the key, it looks like the big impact that made all the noise might have been taken on his shoulder with the chair barely grazing his head with most of its momentum gone. Then he goes down and blades while the camera is off him, which is why the blood is coming from the wrong side of his head.
So, while this analysis was wrong and I was looking at a replay that had a shot from a bad angle where my analysis looked like it could be accurate I am hearing that the chair was gimmicked to make the shot less risky than it looked but something just went wrong and the backrest clipped him busting him open.

ruckusmanager

RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, while this analysis was wrong and I was looking at a replay that had a shot from a bad angle where my analysis looked like it could be accurate I am hearing that the chair was gimmicked to make the shot less risky than it looked but something just went wrong and the backrest clipped him busting him open.
That picture actually makes me feel a lot better about the whole situation. That it was just some weird accident is much better than thinking that the blood was on purpose. For it being something of a "throwaway" show, I thought Fyter Fest was pretty damn clever and watchable.

Top Bottom