• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Wrestlepack] Discussion XI: Inevitable Overbooked Heel Turn

Phantom Stranger

Welcome to Casablanca
Validated User
And the idea that Nikki saw it all because she was hanging out on the rooftops is a nice touch. You look at her and think, yep, I can totally see her running around on top of Full Sail University's buildings for no explainable reason.
They've been establishing that rooftop as where she hangs out in the background of the last 6-7 months of NXT, too. She has a fire up there sometimes.

King Snarf

Validated User
I'm not sure that it'd be a mistake to book the NXT matches long - while the WWE is always looking for new subscribers, (a) a lot of their audience for the PPV is recurring network subscribers, and (b) it gives them a chance to show off what else these women can do and why you should continue subscribing and (c) the more casual a viewer is, the fewer wrestlers - especially female wrestlers - they're aware of.

Wouldn't mind a Cross/Belair match. It's too late to pull the trigger on tag belts. But we'll probably get a meaningless 3v3 tag match because that's kind of a tradition now.
They've not really given us a reason to care about any of the NXT matches. They COULD have devoted two minutes each to a brief video package to the NXT Women's Title and the MYC, but they couldn't even bother with that, as that would have cut into all the time they spent on whether or not the Shield was gonna break up. So, with out that, to keep the casual fan from saying "Oh, here's a spot where I can go to the bathroom or make a sandwich" there needs to be excellence in both the pre-match stuff and the match itself, and while I don't doubt the abilities of the talent, it's the booking and production I have my doubts about.

Phantom Stranger

Welcome to Casablanca
Validated User
They haven't yet aired the semis for the MYC. Any video package would have to either spoiler upcoming shows or be wildly nonspecific.

Similarly, the NXT UK shows are taped over weekends but we're just getting the June stuff airing now, which kinda prevents that happening.

The NXT Womens' match wasn't officially locked in until pretty recently on TV either.

I have my doubts about the main roster booking but if it's handled by NXT's production agents, they do a good job of making long matches count. If Kevin Dunn's calling the shots they're doomed but it's Kevin Dunn; an all-female event overseen by Bucky Beaver is the worst of all possible worlds anyway.

...Total side note: The senior female ref in NXT is becoming one of my favourite refs to watch perform. Drake Wuertz, another great one, is also NXT.

I think this may have to do with shorter, tighter shows, but we'll see.

Ugly Man

Shaman Theme Jet Wink
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What I like about Nikki is it’s the first time in a long time there’s a genuine lunatic on the roster. Not an Ambrose style ‘speaks in a weird candence, otherwise normal’ lunatic. Nikki is the craziest person in WWE since, I don’t know, early Mankind maybe?

ajdynon

Validated User
What I like about Nikki is it’s the first time in a long time there’s a genuine lunatic on the roster. Not an Ambrose style ‘speaks in a weird candence, otherwise normal’ lunatic. Nikki is the craziest person in WWE since, I don’t know, early Mankind maybe?
I remember her in Shimmer (as Nikki Storm ) when she was a charismatic and over, but still fairly by-the-numbers, loudmouth heel whose main quirk was that nobody could pronounce "Glasgow, Scotland " to her satisfaction. It's not often I prefer the WWE version of a wrestler to the Indy version, but this is one of those cases.

Last edited:

@robowieland

Follow me on Twitter!
Validated User
I remember her in Shimmer (as Nikki Cross) when she was a charismatic and over, but still fairly by-the-numbers, loudmouth heel whose main quirk was that nobody could pronounce "Glasgow, Scotland " to her satisfaction. It's not often I prefer the WWE version of a wrestler to the Indy version, but this is one of those cases.
Ambrose at his best has never really come of as crazy. He played an effective shit-talking heel with his boys The Shield to back him up, but Lunatic Fringe Dead never really seemed like either.

Nikki, on the other hand, projects menacing energy wherever she goes. She's a classic archetype of the wrestler who is just here to fuck people up and laugh while she does it. The character is excellent and I will be sad when she's called up to get laughed at by the Bellas on the main roster.

Sark

Validated User
Ambrose at his best has never really come of as crazy. He played an effective shit-talking heel with his boys The Shield to back him up, but Lunatic Fringe Dead never really seemed like either.
Ambrose hasn't. Jon Moxley made a career of it, though for many good reasons they were never going to let him try even a sanitised version on WWE TV.

Top Bottom