[WrestlePack/Draft] DraftSlam 2015!

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
With thanks to Egyptian, who came up with the initial concept and didn't complain when I totally took it over. This is not Draftamania. This is more like Draft-Summerslam. (Hence Draftslam.) Draftamania is when we put together as near to our perfect promotion as we can. This is sort of the opposite. Draftslam is when we put together deliberately flawed promotions, force them on other participants, and see how they either right the ship or go down with it.

The basics:

1) As with other OM drafts, participants make selections in a snaking order (Turn One, A-B-C, Turn Two, C-B-A) to assemble a roster of their liking. Standard draft time limits (24hrs the first round, six hours subsequent rounds) apply.

2) Draftslam will use an abbreviated version of the Draftamania format. In the first turn, players select a home city, two Wrestlers, and one Event Title. In the second and each subsequent turn, players select two Wrestlers, one Non-Wrestler, and one Event Title. Players are encouraged to create and assign titles during drafting, as well, at their own discretion. There will be a total of five rounds of initial drafting.

3) Following the fifth round of drafting, the OM-NWA President (that's me) will randomly assign a roster to each participant.

4) After rosters are assigned, each participant may draft ONE Wrestler OR Non-Wrestler to add to their roster.

FAQ

What’s a wrestler? For purposes of Draftslam, anyone who has wrestled a professional match in the last two years, and that the promoter intends to use in a primarily in-ring role, is considered draft-eligible as a wrestler. “Wrestler” includes heavyweight, junior heavyweight, midget, and female wrestlers. Note that all wrestlers are drafted in their current condition. Old dudes are old. Dead dudes are dead. Edge's neck is fucked. Etc. Etc. At the same time, "retirement" for anything other than physical disability is a myth. As I've said before, Terry Funk's first retirement ceremony was in 1983, and I'm pretty sure he's working next weekend. Draft accordingly.

What’s a non-wrestler? Anyone who has ever participated in a professional wrestling show in any capacity is considered draft-eligible as a non-wrestler. This includes promoters, managers, valets, guest hosts, and even particularly outspoken fans. Non-wrestlers may be used in angles and confrontations, but should not be regular in-ring competitors. Occasional “special appearances” are fine, but anyone appearing in, say, more than one match every two or three months should be drafted as a wrestler. As with wrestlers, non-wrestlers are drafted in their current condition.

What's an event title? It's the name of your TV show, your PPV, or any other major card that deserves an individual and distinct name. Note that you only need to draft titles that have already been used. So, if your weekly show is "Superstars of Wrestling" or "Clash of the Champions", that needs a draft pick. If it's something you just came up with on your own that no promotion's ever used before, don't bother.

What about trades? Due to the nature of Draftslam, no trades are permitted.

Can I move around some picks, say to get a non-wrestler in the first round or something? No.

What about undrafted wrestlers? Undrafted wrestlers (and non-wrestlers) may be used freely as jobbers, special guests, or in any other short term role. Due to the nature of Draftslam, you may not exchange a drafted wrestler for an undrafted wrestler once drafting is completed, nor may undrafted wrestlers be pushed over drafted wrestlers.

How do I write shows? For purposes of Draftslam, individual shows are discouraged. Instead, please submit to the draft thread a proposal for turning the chickenshit you have been given into chickensalad via your brilliant booking and/or promotion. "Fire everybody and start over" is not an option. Work with what you're given. Level of detail and length are left to a drafter's discretion.

First 14 applicants accepted, plus me, for a total of 15 participants, max. Applications accepted for up to 48 hours or until the limit is reached (whichever comes first), and usually I'll sneak an extra one or two in late if there's room. Already expressing interest are Egyptian, ClassDunce, Giel M, redwulf25_ci, and theonlynolan. Nine spots remain!

Yook

Validated User
I won't be participating, but seeing some of the folks who've said they want to over in the general wrestling thread, I'm looking forward to following the draft and once again learning about a whole bunch of great wrestlers I've never heard of. :)

Giel M

Cheers!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm in for sure. Was a hoot last year, even though my write-up got delayed by about a month due to internet outage.

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm going to be offline for most of the next 24 hours, so someone else is in charge of wrangling up enough people to fill slots.

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Looks like not a ton of interest. Or maybe people just had a really busy weekend. I'll leave this open another day, see if we can get a minimum of ten people. If so, we'll kick off. If not... maybe some other time.

Dogr_Dollarsson

Validated User
Ouch. I'll admit it, I was hanging back from jumping in on this, because my last two wrestling drafts were basically disasters ... but I thought I'd still have fun as a spectator; I wasn't expecting there to not be a Slam. :(

Lord Stilt-Man

Incomplete Bastard
Validated User
I'm in the same boat as Dogr, I make a pigs ear of every wrestling draft I do, and my plate's pretty full of games atm. But I was really looking forward to reading the draft :(

ClassDunce

A Proper Villain.
Validated User
Yeah with too few people it just wouldn't be as frustratingly fun. I never would've thought there would be a lack of interest.

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sadly, the number of people who want to watch equals or exceeds those who want to participate. I blame a misplaced lack of confidence. (**looks pointedly at Dogr and Captain Astounding**)

Top Bottom