• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Wrestlepack][Let's Play - Original Choose Your Own Adventure!] Pushing Too Far - A Booker's Adventures

Yook

Validated User
To be honest, when it comes to wrestling, I consider you one of my gurus and one of my general wrestling rules is: Basically, Lee's probably right, and finding out why I think he's wrong will better my wrestling knowledge, so it's win/win.

It's a weird rule, but it's come up a lot over the last couple years, and it hasn't guided me wrong yet. I don't always agree with you, but you seldom guide me wrong, you wrasslin' grognard, you.

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I can't tell if this means I need to put you all on the Hypothetical Booking Committee, or if I don't need to because you all already agree with me.
At least one of us will have to be your Russo, throwing out a bunch of ludicrous shit that you'll have to shoot down, but will have an occasional gem that rocks the world.

I am that man full of ludicrous shit.

Regis

Interdimensional Monarch
Validated User
Okay chums, time to make a new title contender!

---------------

Four years ago he came out of training. Within six months he’d won the Pan-American Championship. After starting as a Heel he turned his lust for vengeance onto his fellow villains, bringing with him an overwhelming wave of fan support. Brutal. Unstoppable. Utterly dedicated to his cause. He is ‘The Vigilante’ Dorian Kane. You thought he was doing better with just his surname, but it seems like everyone’s got to have a full name these days.

You lock eyes with the tall man in the executioner’s hood as he climbs into the ring, ‘Stone In My Hand’ still blaring out of the arena’s speakers. You honestly have no idea if management are ready to pull the trigger on him winning the Global Heavyweight Championship yet, but if his push gets called off it won’t be because he looked bad tonight. Dorian and you had talked the match over beforehand. He wouldn’t plan too much out in advance except for the finish. That works fine for you, although he’s going to need to learn how to lead a rookie eventually. You smirk as you catch yourself thinking that about someone who’s younger than your niece. Yeah, he’ll be fine.

The music finishes. The chants of the crowd do not. The bell rings.

Show time.

---------------

4 minutes in.

Dorian has beaten you from pillar to post and the crowd is loving it. You’ve been punched, kicked, slammed and simply thrown across every square inch of canvas. You’re glad that Dorian never trained in Japan, or you’d be black and blue after this. As it goes he’s protecting you quite handily.

You slam back-first into the turnbuckles, momentarily brace yourself, then collapse suitably dramatically as the Vigilante charges into you with a corner avalanche. You roll out of the ring, and begin staggering away as your pursuer relentlessly follows you. The crowd is still baying for your blood, but you can’t always just give people what they want. You roll back into the ring, hit the ropes opposite, and catch Dorian with a dropkick straight to the top of the head as he climbs after you. The first staggers him, allowing you time for a desperate repeat that leaves both of you dazed and the door wide open for a change of pace. Time to slow this shit down.

---------------

Nine minutes in.

You’ve worked this armbar for two solid minutes. One hundred and twenty seconds or more of a single submission hold, on pay-per-view, live across the world. Don’t think two minutes is a long time? Try working one of the most basic submission holds in the world for a temperamental and easily-bored crowd that have seen it done a thousand times before by better workers than you. Two minutes sounds like a very, very long time then.

Dorian’s struggling to a half-crouch. Time for a break? No, let’s see how this plays out. You wriggle a bit and yell loudly, giving Dorian a chance to sell more. He makes his way to a crouch. Ah, the armbar slam. Good choice. You cling on and flex your jaw a bit to prepare for a truly terrified face. Sure enough, up you go, and with a pitiful scream, down you come. Time to let go? No, let’s go for another one. Let the kid show off a bit. Up you go, and… Oh Christ. Dorian starts to spin, his arm whirling around his head. All you can do is cling on. Jesus Herbert Walker Christ, you’re going to die or throw up and you don’t know which is worse. You’re not selling any more, you’re just hanging on for dear life. The crowd starts counting rotations. You can’t hear them. The blood is rushing to your head. Then…

Huh. You appear to be on the mat. You definitely just took a bump. It doesn’t feel like you died or broke anything. Dorian must have protected you very well off the back of that spot. Good for you, Dorian. Now to work out where the hell we are.

---------------

Seventeen minutes in.

Even considering your general fitness, this match has been a hell of a workout. Dorian’s breathing heavily; the kid needs to learn to pace himself, not go all out all the time. He’ll learn. Or he won’t. Not your problem for long. Christ, we’re coming up to the finish. We’re at the finish. This is it. Almost time to go.

The Vigilante, taken to the limit by a brutal combination of strikes and submissions, comes forward with a powerful forearm across your face. You fire back with a chop. Forearm – chop – forearm – chop – forearm – NO! You catch his arm and sweep him forward onto the mat, right in the centre of the ring. Rolling him over you go for a pin – one – NO – but you are already shifting into position. The leg hooked under his elbow, then over the wrist, grab the arm, and with a quick bit of business to avoid any actual danger, you lock in the Bicep Slicer. Dangerous. Deadly. A legitimate martial arts hold, and one that you could apply gently enough that a man could go to sleep in it if they wanted.

The crowd is going berserk, and you have no doubt that the commentary team are roaring into their microphones. The Vigilante is yelling with such genuine anger that you almost have to check that you’re not actually injuring him. Inch by painful inch he hauls himself towards the ropes, the fans begging him to move just that bit further, just that bit faster. He reaches out, grabs the bottom rope, and a count of five later Tim Robinson is bodily hauling you off and threatening to disqualify you on the spot. Dorian moves back to his feet cradling his arm, and you lunge back in. Confidence is the killer. As you lunge for one arm, the other catches you by the throat. A few staggering steps backward places you in the middle of the ring, and with a roar the Vigilante hoists you up and slams you down across his outstretched knee. You collapse to the ring, and Tim begins to count.

ONE

Here it comes. Finally.

TWO

Just a small movement of your shoulder and this insane dream gets to last a few minutes longer.

But no.

THREE

You just lie there for a while, rolling off to one side of the ring to give the kid his moment. Why not? It’s his turn. His time. You slowly begin moving to roll yourself out of the ring, when you see that Dorian has a microphone. He tilts it towards you, almost imperceptibly. You look at him with some confusion. Is he offering you his promo time? A slight nod of the head. Damn his eyes, the sentimental fool’s going to do it.

So what do you do?

A: Accept. Say goodbye, not as Helmut, but as Josef. Say thankyou. Tell the fans what all of this means to you.

B: Accept. Stick to kayfabe. Lay all the backhanded insults you can on the kid, putting him over while sounding like you’re insulting him.

C: Decline. It’s his time. He’s the one who needs to get over. You can say everything you want backstage.

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
1) 'Bicep slicer' is some jujitsu bullshit. We are a professional wrestler and that's a short arm scissors.

2) C. We're not a talker, we're a do-er.

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And it's not a Rock Bottom, it's a Uranage!
Today in Things That Bug Only Me - that's not even a uranage! Ura-nage is basically a backdrop suplex.

(Ura-nage is some judo bullshit. I have no idea how the Japanese got this wrong.)

Last edited:

Yook

Validated User
My instinct is to pick A), but that's a theater kid's instinct, not a wrestler's instinct...so, instead, I'll also pick C), because it's not what I want to do, so it's probably the right thing to do.

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Honestly, if we're picked either of the other two characters, or were a face, A would work. It's just not the move for an old-school heel.

Thomas Ufnal Crowlake

Validated User
I vote B. The kid is already offering us a mic, if the audience notice it will look like miscommunication or even slight kayfabe break.

Last edited:
Top Bottom