[Wrestlepack] Ongoing Wrestling Discussion Thread X - Pac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peers

Order of Cleansing Flame
Validated User
This is an example of why I hate Internet reviews. Watching the show live, I had a blast and was thinking it was probably the best show they've put on all year.

I go online, and people are complaining.

I mean... I just don't get it.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is an example of why I hate Internet reviews. Watching the show live, I had a blast and was thinking it was probably the best show they've put on all year.

I go online, and people are complaining.

I mean... I just don't get it.
Most people I follow say it was decent until the main event, which feels fair.

For me, thusly: Shield/New Day was good-not-great. The women's match was uneven, but everybody loves Asuka so it was a good boost. Miz and Corbin was fine. Nobody in the audience cared about the Usos and the Bar, which hurt what was a good match otherwise. I thought Bliss/Charlotte was fine, although I have to ding it for at no time did Charlotte really work Bliss' leg for the Figure Eight. While I question letting Brock go over clean again, AJ is the best wrestler in the world so it was very watchable. Loved the Styles Clash/F-5/Calf Crusher/Brock bounces AJ's head off the mat sequence. Also Brock's legs are very spindly. This is distracting to me. The main event had actual talent you want to build to the future with berry'd to push Trips and the McMahons which is same as it ever was. And the match itself wasn't even all that great.

Last edited:

ViciousFish

Validated User
I thought everything up until "2004 shows those youngsters what happens if they get too uppity" was great.

I liked Shield vs New Day even though the outcome was never in question. The Woman's elimination match was a great way to showcase Asuka plus there was the Tamina/Nia stuff. Miz and Corbin was good. I like when Miz stretches away from the chickenshit heel act (even though he's the best at it) and with Corbin interacting with Maryse there was a great reason to. The Bar vs Usos was fantastic. I knew from the start they'd deliver. Charlotte and Bliss did great.

AJ vs Brock was everything I expected. AJ bumped like HBK and Mr Perfect possessed him and were fighting for control. Brock looked like a monster who was trying to destroy AJ. It was easily Brock's best match since his Tripke Threat with Cena and Rollins a few years ago.

Then the main event happened. 3 of the last 4 guys in the ring competed at WM 17. Looks like Braun and HHH at Mania is a thing so we have 4 months of Braun looking like a clown* until he finally beats HHH.

*Based on almost every HHH program ever

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Having just watched the whole show, the main event had the distinction of me caring less & less as it went on.

In fact, I can pinpoint the exact moment the switch of me caring flipped & that was when Nakamura & Roode got eliminated (& thus the Smackdown team was Shane, Orton, & Cena...).

Oh, Trips.

P.S. Angle looked in pain just standing up...

Last edited:

Phantom Stranger

Welcome to Casablanca
Validated User
Strowman as LMS would've been the right move, I think. If you don't do that then I think you actually need to take a leaf from TNA.

See, TNA used to do some weird multi-man matches - King of the Mountain, a reverse ladder match where if you're pinned you go to a sin bin and you can't attempt the ladder climb until you've pinned someone and Lethal Lockdown, their NotWarGames.

But TNA also had AJ Styles, and if you didn't want AJ Styles to be involved in the climax of your match you needed an absurd spot taking him out, either him sacrificing himself to eliminate someone or someohe going for something insane to eliminate him. The corrollary to this:

THE REST OF THE HIGH SPOTS MUST BE LESS ABSURD.

A spot that puts Strowman down is usually indistinguishable from several of the attempt spots in terms of damage and absurdity. It makes it hard to accept that final bump.

King Snarf

Validated User
THE REST OF THE HIGH SPOTS MUST BE LESS ABSURD.
Asking TNA booking to be rational and logical is like asking for a unicorn. I remember the Abyss angle where it was revealed Abyss killed his father, only he didn't REALLY, it was his sweet mother who had been abused, so he took the rap for it; James Mitchell threatened to reveal this secret to the police if Abyss didn't cooperate. All of this was said ON TV IN FRONT OF CAMERAS, meaning they were kayfabe operating under the assumption that the police don't watch Impact. Which, considering how dumb that angle was, is a pretty reasonable assumption, now that I think on it.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
Asking TNA booking to be rational and logical is like asking for a unicorn. I remember the Abyss angle where it was revealed Abyss killed his father, only he didn't REALLY, it was his sweet mother who had been abused, so he took the rap for it; James Mitchell threatened to reveal this secret to the police if Abyss didn't cooperate. All of this was said ON TV IN FRONT OF CAMERAS, meaning they were kayfabe operating under the assumption that the police don't watch Impact. Which, considering how dumb that angle was, is a pretty reasonable assumption, now that I think on it.
I think it's another example of learning the wrong lessons from Lucha Underground. Lucha Underground can get away with that shit in backstage segments or segments that take place away from the Temple because Lucha Underground is a supernatural drama that uses a wrestling promotion as it's setting. TNA wants to do that but stuck it in the wrestling show part and doesn't have non-wrestling show parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom