• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Wrestlepack] [Original Choose Your Own Adventure] Welcome To The Next Generation: Adventures In Developmental Hell

Regis

Interdimensional Monarch
Validated User
You know what? Let’s give this another go.

Some of you in the Wrestlepack read my previous Choose Your Own Adventure. Some of you even enjoyed it! I wrote 42,861 words of original content before running out of steam and calling it to an end. There’s been some time since then, but you know what? I’ve felt the itch again. So using the lessons learned from the previous project, I’m going to try something new. Welcome to The Next Generation: Adventures In Developmental Hell.

This game will follow one year in the life of a young wrestler who has been signed to the Global Wrestling Federation, which is legally distinct from the WWE, and their developmental promotion New Frontier Wrestling, which is definitely not NXT. Why only one year? Well, with a fixed time limit, I can sketch out ideas ahead of time and know what I’m aiming towards, therefore hopefully avoiding burnout.

For those unfamiliar, leave a comment below with your favoured choice. At an arbitrary (but not too distant) point in the future, I'll see what choice is the most popular and write the next instalment. So, let's get cracking, shall we?

---------------

Your phone beeps yet again. You keep half an eye on the traffic lights as you check your messages. It’s your mom again, checking for updates in the five minute since she texted you last. You ignore it. The last thing you need is a citation for texting while driving on the way to your biggest career opportunity yet.

The lights turn green and you put your foot down. You drove this route from your motel twice yesterday, just to make sure that you remembered and didn’t get lost. Your GPS reassures you that you’re going the right way. Unless this is some sort of incredibly realistic stress dream, there is no way that you won’t arrive at the GWF Fitness Academy in plenty of time. You take a few long, deep breaths to calm yourself. However the tryout goes, you’ll at least get there in one piece.

With plenty of time to spare, you pull into the Academy’s parking lot. You take a moment to snap a selfie and send it to your mother, just so she knows for sure that you’ve arrived. Also so that you know that you’ve arrived. It’s hard to wrap your head around.

But who has arrived?

A: Samuel Clarke, previously wrestling under your real name. You’ve been training as a wrestler on and off since you were fourteen, jumping in whenever you had the money to pay for a few classes. This has given you a good understanding of the fundamentals of in-ring action, as well as a love of old-school technical wrestling, but your character has never really evolved beyond ‘generic technical/comedy wrestler’ and your physique has always been a little soft around the edges.

B: Elizabeth Renee Adams, previously wrestling as ‘The Runway Train’ Renee Montoya. You came into pro wrestling after getting into powerlifting in college, and you’ve never lost the shredded physique that came with it. Making costumes for yourself was easy enough and your confidence and physicality left you in no doubt of how to create a character. You know that you’re green and that you lack anything more than the most basic in-ring skills, but you’re determined to take advantage of the GWF’s renewed focus on women’s wrestling to make a name for yourself.

Schleiermacher

Validated User
First I want to say I think it's great that you're starting a new CYOA, because I loved the previous one.

I always preferred Renee to Sam, so I'm voting for her to be our avatar here. B for me.

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
While I like Renee, I would prefer to start out with more fundamental skills. I'm voting for A.

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sam has always sounded a little boring. B for Renee.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
I'm going to cast a tie breaker for Renee and hope no one comes along to tie us up again.

Bira

Validated User
I followed the last one but never really voted, but this time I'm voting B.

Regis

Interdimensional Monarch
Validated User
You pull your hair back, practise standing in a way that calls as much attention to your abs as possible without being weird about it, and make your way inside. The receptionist smiles as you approach.

“Hi, can I help you?”

“Yeah, it’s Elizabeth Adams, I’m here for the tryouts?”

“One second.” He looks through a list of names, then nods. “Yup, I’ve got you down on here. Just head through that door to your left, and there’s signs all the way to the gym. There are people already there, and the coaching staff will be with you soon.”

“Awesome, thanks.”

“Good luck!”

You give the receptionist a thumbs up as you leave. You’ll certainly need it.

---------------

Down in the gym area, there are already more than a dozen people waiting for things to start. A few of them glance up as you arrive. One of them waves at you. It takes you a moment to recognise Zoe Steel. One of the few out transwomen you’ve ever met in the business, she wrestled a show for the promotion your trainer ran a little while ago. She looks almost unrecognisable without her hair gelled up into the long punk rock spikes that she sported then, and without the heavy smeared makeup that complimented the look. You give her a nod, and she goes back to chatting enthusiastically with a young man with a thick beard and a long skunk stripe dyed down the centre of his dark hair.

You quickly move out of the way of the door as three more prospective trainees arrive behind you. It seems like you’ve got plenty of time before things get started.

What do you want to do to occupy yourself?

A: Hang out with Zoe. You vaguely know her, and she’s got more experience in this business. On the other hand, you vaguely remember there being complaints about her being the most shameless kind of highly political carny trash, so being seen with her early on might be a problem later.

B: See if you can make some new friends. There are a lot of new people here, and any one of them could be really cool. Plus, it might be good to get a reputation for being sociable early on. On the other hand, you have no idea how many of these people are going to make it through these trials. It might be worth waiting before cosying up to anyone.

C: Just hang back and people-watch. It’s going to be a lot easier than throwing yourself in with a bunch of new people, and gives you a chance to get the measure of the situation. On the other hand, locker rooms are very sociable environments. Do you want a reputation for being stand-offish?

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like B. Just because folks don't make it through tryouts in the big time doesn't mean they aren't a good person or contact to have. Besides, maybe they try again later and make it. Just be friendly. Any poor reactions now are also warnings.

Top Bottom