• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Wrestlepack] Recommend me great matches!

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User
The forefather of pro wrestling is the collar-and-elbow wrestling brought from Ireland in the 17th century. The tie-up, the mare, hiptoss, the Irish Whip; all of that comes from collar-and-elbow. There was some bleedover from Lancashire catch-as-catch-can (especially in regards to armlocks), but the heart of what we think of now as pro wrestling started in Ireland.

The forefather of MMA was the movie Bloodsport. The Gracies can say what they like, but every time UFC has made a major rules change, it's been to get fighters up and moving like the movie fights, not to preserve the supposed 'true no-holds-barred' roots. UFC wants to be K-1 with chokeholds. The company went bankrupt trying to be 'real'.

Inoki vs Ali was a sort of strange aberration. It happened, but it's not like anything came of it. You would think if someone was going to try and cash in on that style they wouldn't have waited 25 years to do it.

And now great match tax!
[video=youtube;ZdYJvHnHlJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdYJvHnHlJU[/video]
Maybe today wasn't the day to watch this, as I'm a bit tired/sleepy, but 18 minutes in, the glacial pace of the match and the full submission/ground game with zero intensity isn't doing it for me. I will be the first to say that today's wrestling could do with more mat-based stuff, but contrasting this to the intensity of the previous match I saw is baffling. Seeing a single suplex causing a pinfall is also something that feels weird these days. Murdoch's offense looking so poor at first doesn't help at all.

The rest of the match is a bit better, with Murdoch getting a bit more offense in, and Inoki selling for him more, but I think they had already lost me by then. So yeah, I'm sad to say this match wasn't to my liking. Maybe older style wrestling just lacks some spectacle for my tastes.

Schleiermacher

Validated User
I thought it was great, exactly the kind of wrestling I'd like to see more of - but I would still say it could have been a little shorter. They repeated several spots, and that's uncalled for almost anywhere, but especially in such a grappling-focused match.

King Snarf

Validated User
That was great. I think it was Bleacher Report's review that said the match wasn't that good, and that we have to judge AEW by the same standards as we would WWE, and if WWE had put that on blah blah blah. Fuck that. WWE has had literal decades to get it right. They should absolutely know how to get the right people in the ring and put together a good match on a PPV. This was AEW's second show. And that was a brilliantly put together match.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
That was great. I think it was Bleacher Report's review that said the match wasn't that good, and that we have to judge AEW by the same standards as we would WWE, and if WWE had put that on blah blah blah. Fuck that. WWE has had literal decades to get it right. They should absolutely know how to get the right people in the ring and put together a good match on a PPV. This was AEW's second show. And that was a brilliantly put together match.
And like I said in the main thread at the time gave me a much better opinion of Nyla than her first AEW match, I think because she was more in her element playing the monster heel and throwing around smaller wrestlers like toys. I'm not sure what the reviewers complaint is about the match.

King Snarf

Validated User
There are at least two separate Bleacher Report reviews (one being favorable and one being not; the favorable one also gives good grades to Allie vs. Leva & the Jebailey match, so grain of salt; I enjoyed them, but I'm apparently in the minority). Here's what the negative review said about the women's triple threat-

AEW has a ton of potential to have an amazing women's division, but this three-way match was no game-changer.
This was sloppy in far too many spots than can be ignored, like Yuka Sakazaki's wobbly springboard and Nyla Rose's casual break up of a pin—the latter even prompted the commentary team to make fun of it.
While there weren't any botches that will go down as historic, all three wrestlers had their moments of being out of sync. Riho and Sakazaki tried a variety of sequences that were clunky and ended with one of them breaking the suspension of disbelief in order to finish whatever move was planned to go next.
The crowd chanted "this is awesome" when something went well, but if this were a WWE match, with the attitude toward that product, those same fans would have been booing and saying "you can't wrestle."
Fair is fair, and both WWE and AEW deserve to be reviewed under the same circumstances. This was far from the worst match ever, but it wasn't something that earned a "this is awesome" chant.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
There are at least two separate Bleacher Report reviews (one being favorable and one being not; the favorable one also gives good grades to Allie vs. Leva & the Jebailey match, so grain of salt; I enjoyed them, but I'm apparently in the minority). Here's what the negative review said about the women's triple threat-
Ah yes. I remember the springboard issue. I didn't regard it as a botch on her part really, something about the way she looked when she hit the rope made me feel like she'd noticed something off about the rope. I assumed the tension was off from what she expected or something and put it down to the ring crew.

King Snarf

Validated User
What I've seen so far of the women's division in AEW? So much better than the WWE from a booking standpoint. Maybe that's because there's no titles yet, but in the WWE unless you're the champ or the next challenger, you're going to get fed to one of those two to build up the PPV. So as a result, there are quite a few wrestlers lacking credibility.

And of course, being champion doesn't necessarily mean you won't be made to look great. Just ask the IIconincs.

Meanwhile, with that Triple Threat, while there was only one winner, all three ladies came out looking very good. And that's a credit to the booking.

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User

Riho vs Nyla Rose vs Yuka Sakazaki from AEW's Fyter Fest
It's a good match, very well put together, and it makes Nyla Rose look like a million bucks. I'm not sure I can say the same for Riho and Yuka, as most of their offence against Nyla comes in tandem, and very rarely does it seem they have a fair chance 1 on 1. Some spots are great (like Riho breaking a powerbomb pin to cause another pin), but there's also a fair bit of miscoordination at points. There's also a couple of things that aren't botches, but come close (the springboard bit, a hurricanrana on Nyla Rose that she barely rolls for and looks like ass, and Nyla's swanton bomb made me fear for her neck). It also has one thing that really bothers me, and that is far too many spots where one of the wrestlers is just waiting there for the others to get in position so they can go for yet another spot.

I'd call it a good match, 3 or 3.5 stars, but not a great one.

ViciousFish

Validated User
And like I said in the main thread at the time gave me a much better opinion of Nyla than her first AEW match, I think because she was more in her element playing the monster heel and throwing around smaller wrestlers like toys. I'm not sure what the reviewers complaint is about the match.
I thought the same thing. In the first match, she wasn’t necessary. It’s not that she’s unskilled but when there’s two monster heels in the same match, and one of them is Awesome Kong, the second one isn’t necessary. She just didn’t have a place in the first match. And that’s all on whoever booked the match.

I don’t watch joshi (it’s totally a me thing. I don’t like when I can’t understand the commentators) so I’d never heard of Yuka before DoN. Now I can’t get enough of The Magic Girl.

Top Bottom