• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WWP] Gloomhaven: Where it's dark and it's mean and it's cooooold...

BethDragon

professionally dissatisfied
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thanks to the gracious glorious Calliope (may all her dice rolls be crits), Random Nerd and I were able to get a Gloomhaven box! (And whoa, whatta box! It's hyuge!) After the many many punching out of everything and getting stuff organized, we started it up!

Party: SkitterThwack Enterprises

Random Nerd will be playing Alexandra Scurrystab the vermling mindthief while I (BethDragon) will be playing Grogleth the cragheart.

Join us as we wind our ways through the game of Gloomhaven! With the occasional commentary wittiness.

The Campaign:
Done, Closed/Unavailable

#1 - Black Barrow - opens #2 and Party Achievement: First Steps
Chest reward opened up #66.​
#2 - Barrow Lair - opens #3 and 4
#4 - Crypt of the Damned - opens up #5 and 6
#5 - Ruinous Crypt - opens up #10, 14 and 19
Envelope because Beth thought we deserved it! - Opens up #76 - holy cow, that one looks hard!
#3 - Inox Encampment - opens up #8 and 9 and Party Achievement: Jekserah's Plans
#10 - Plane of Elemental Power - opens up #21 and 22 and Party Achievement: A Demon's Errand
#21 - Infernal Throne - Global Achievement: The Demon Dethroned and City Event 78 added to deck.
#66 - Clockwork Cove - Global Achievement: Ancient Tech (1 of 5)
#8 - Gloomhaven Warehouse - Global Achievement: The Merchant Flees (closes #9), opens up #7, 13 and 14(already opened)
City event - opens #81
Chest reward opened up #63
#14 - Frozen Hollow - Global Achievement: Power of Enhancement, opens up #31 and 43
#6 - Decaying Crypt - Party Achievement: Jekserah's Plans (already had) and Party Achievement: Dark Bounty, opens up #8 (already opened and done)
#7 - Vibrant Grotto - opens up #20
#63 - Magma Pit
#20 - Necromancer's Sanctum - opens up #16, 18 and 28
Retirement of Alexandra Scurrystab

Introduction of Tobe Determus
#13 - Temple of the Seer - opens up #15 (choose 1 of 3; one is Necromancer's Sanctum, so, easier choice!)
#15 - Shrine of Strength
#19 - Forsaken Crypt - opens up #27, Party Achievement: Stonebreaker's Censer
#81 - Temple of the Eclipse
Road event opens up #82
City event opens up #93​

Gloomhaven prosperity: Level 2, ++
Party reputation: +
--------
Alex: Starting out with a poison dagger and a minor potion of stamina. No money left.
Gr: Starting out with a war hammer. No money left.

City event: A vermling offers an 'interesting' piece of something for 10 gold!
RN: "Don't trust a vermling! I am one!" BD: "We _have_ _no_ _money_." Nothing happens when we refuse.
Road event: We notice a group of vermling performing a group dance in a grove...we sneak up to them. Do we attack or listen and watch like D&D anthropologists?
RN: "This is my jam!" We listen and watch...and get 3 XP!

Last edited:

BethDragon

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
#1 - Black Barrow

We step in and there are 2 bandit guards and one elite bandit guard! ...who all get to move first.
The mobs dogpile Grogleth but end up doing only one damage and two completely wiffed/missed. Grogleth is pretty awesome with Avalanche doing damage to the elite and one of the other guards. Alex moves the elite forward with _mind control_ and then kills it! The unharmed guard is pushed back, the harmed guard is killed by Gr and time is taken to loot by both of our heroes. Alex goes invisible and hits the remaining guard with Scurry. Gr moves over and kills the remaining guard. Our heroes rest and then push on into the next room...

where we find 2 more bandit guards and now an elite archer!
The elite moves forward and immobilizes Grogleth with 1 damage, while the guards move up and...both wiff again against our tower of power. Alex enters and gets 5 damage on a guard, along with disarming him. The Archer attacks Gr and creates a trap in front of himself. Alex scurries again, wiffs at a guard, but forces the archer to step into the trap. Gr attacks both guards in melee range, but kills the one and wiffs on the other but pushes him back a couple of hexes. Alex then stuns the guard and Summons a Rat Swarm. BD: "This isn't Dishonored!" Gr is able to hit both the guard and archer in the same round again and kills them both.

Alex triggers a trap to get to the door and, on entering, finds three Living Bones, two archers and a chest! Unfortunately, after getting into the room and poisoning one of the Bones, she is exhausted and Out. Gr works his way through the remaining mobs and is just about to go to the chest..when the scenario ends! Because the scenario called for all of the mobs to be killed and once that goal is met, the scenario is over. Which meant we didn't loot the chest. :(

Scenario succeeded! Which opens up Scenario #2! Both Grogleth and Alex fulfilled their Battle Quests (Loot 5 coins and Never be below half of your HP, respectively. Exhausted doesn't count as low HP, you're just out of cards to move or do anything. However 0 HP can cause Exhausted too.) So each earned a check-mark toward a Perk!

Grogleth - 16 XP, 10 gold; Alexandra - 21 XP, 4 gold

Last edited:

Victim

Validated User
Wow, a good road event.

Let me know what you think of the warhammer. I also played the Crag but picked different stuff.

BethDragon

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
#1.5 - Black Barrow

Note: We found out after we redid the first scenario that the rules say that if you're doing a campaign, you 'can't' redo a scenario if you succeeded at it. We did it. Oh well. We're still figuring out stuff.

It went better than the first time, as we were getting a better handle on our cards. I'll let RN talk about improving on playing Alex, but for Grogleth, I was more mindful of trying not to lose the, uh, Lose cards early in the scenario. Also I was trying to set up at least one of my two 'this card does good stuff for more than one round' cards (either the 'Add a target if you're attacking ranged' or 'Retaliate 2 for the next 6 melee attacks!') early-ish. Still haven't used the War Hammer effect, which is to add a Stun to my entire attack round...but I lose the hammer for the rest of the scenario.

For the first time, I lost a card in order to negate an attack's damage. We were also starting to use the short rest at the end of a turn (lose a random card, your other cards refresh). Long rests were used in the first try through already (lose a specific card, your other cards refresh, you get 2 HP back buuuuuut your Initiative is 99, so that's your entire round.) Alex made good use of the rat swarm to keep the elite archer occupied and using invisible to drop agg.

Oh and the chest room also had five gold in it. At one point in the middle of killing stuff and looting, RN is about to loot some coins....
RN: "You can't stop me." BD: *shows loot card with better Initiative* "I can." RN: "It would be bad play." (I still looted for a couple of gold.) RN ended up looting the chest before killing the last mob! Which gained us..the side scenario #66 Clockwork Cove. Note - if a chest is looted and is an item (vs opening a scenario like this one did), you can't give/sell/trade it to the other player.

Alex got another check-mark toward a perk for getting 13 XP through the scenario. Grogleth did not, as he did not ever do an overkill of a mob by 4 or more points.

Grogleth - 29 XP, 18 gold; Alexandra - 40 XP, 8 gold

Last edited:

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think the way replaying missions in campaign mode works is this:

You can replay them. You just can't replay them in campaign mode.

In practice, all that means is that you can't re-earn any end of mission bonuses. Say the scenario rewards 10 gold for completion. You can't just keep replaying it for that 10 gold over and over.

You CAN replay it and keep any gold and experience you earn during the mission. You can also unlock treasure chests that you missed the first time around.

(Nice play through! I'm only a couple missions ahead of you two, so I'm interested to see how things unfold.)

Last edited:

Victim

Validated User
That was pretty much my understanding as well. You can replay missions to pick up chests that you missed and get money/XP/checks, but any special rewards above the 4+2x level win bonus are essentially a one time deal.

Overkill sounds like a tough goal for the Cragheart - I've found that I'm often triggering multiple small packets of damage as opposed to single big hits. Back up Ammunition has been an amazing card for me too. There's so much value in using Massive Boulder to hit tight groups since you can double up on the splash damage. I didn't use it the first time, but it's made a big difference.

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I got a lot more use out of the rat swarm in that try. Set it on an elite archer, and it chased him into a corner and kept him busy while we cleared the next room.

Also, realizing how burning lose cards early not only removes that option, but also screws up your refresh tempo.

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The mindthief is such a weird class. The original four starting classes map pretty cleanly. Scoundrel = rogue, Brute = warrior, Spellweaver = mage, Tinkerer = cleric (sorta)

But the cragheart and mindthief are odd. I guess the cragheart is...kinda paladin-ish, in that he's kind of tank-y but also has a decent heal or two?

Victim

Validated User
Cragheart has more ranged attacks than melee though. Which makes it even more of a hybrid (at least starting out).

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The mindthief is such a weird class. The original four starting classes map pretty cleanly. Scoundrel = rogue, Brute = warrior, Spellweaver = mage, Tinkerer = cleric (sorta)

But the cragheart and mindthief are odd. I guess the cragheart is...kinda paladin-ish, in that he's kind of tank-y but also has a decent heal or two?
Mindthief reminds me a little of a GW2 necromancer, but even that isn't all that close.

Mostly melee, with some short-ranged attacks that stun or immobilize enemies, a lot of debuffing, and various persistent augments to switch between.

Top Bottom