• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

X-Wing Miniatures.

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
I'm already deep into Warmahordes, and can't afford another game, but X-Wing looks soooo good! I've been watching battle reps on youtube and the game looks quite fun.

Post in this thread if you play it, and rub my nose in it! :D

Justice and Rule

I'm the crazy one.
Validated User
I have a ton of them, to the point that I'm going to build some sort of Trench Run game to play later this year at a con. The system itself is damn good, taking the best parts of Wings of War and putting its own spin on it. It's to the point where I can have 6 people flying around with about 20 or so fighters without much problem.

As to how expensive it is... well, the easiest way is to buy the starter set, since that nets you all the stuff you need plus three fighters on the cheap. I buy from Miniature Market, and they sell the sets for around $26. You think you can't afford it... but look at the price! LOOK AT IT!

Last edited:

Matthew

SquareMans
Validated User
We're starting to play a lot at work. I tried running 3v3 games but the games took way too long for new players. Now we're doing 2v2, only one ship per person, and the game's a blast.

My TIE Interceptor was facing down a Y-wing and an X-Wing and each side knew that this next round we'd all be in range of each other. So I took a chance, assumed that they would move at least 2 maybe 3 forward, and I planned the 5-forward with a reverse built into it.

We revealed our maneuvers, I did my thing and was now in front of them, facing backwards.

"Why did you do that?" Y-wing asked, confused. I was presenting my ass to him!

"You'll see," X-Wing said. He'd already figured it out. They revealed and moved straight past me and I was now on their tail and was impossible to shake for the rest of the game.

That was one of my first games and pulling off that maneuver made me fall in love with the game.

The Interceptor is so fast and maneuverable, it's actually a white maneuver to move only one, and you can't go 1 straight, only turns. Moving 2 or 3 is a green maneuver. Like it's a WWII plane that will stall if it goes too slow! Very clever.

ModernKiwi

The 1% of RPG.net
Validated User
I've only played it twice, but loved each time. If I wasn't currently cash short I'd definitely be buying a couple of fighters to join in...

erithromycin

Validated User
I play quite a lot - have even travelled for tournaments (well, one, but that counts). It feels good. There's totally a random element (two in fact, between the dice and the damage decks), but every time I've won it feels like I've won rather than been lucky, and every time I've lost I've been able to see what I should have done. Sometimes the force is with you, admittedly, and sometimes every critical landed is a Direct Hit (double damage), but it's a great game. I've got, um, two starters, the three large ships, one or two of everything else and four Y-Wings. I've cut up and magnetised my B-Wing so it can barrel roll properly. I love the game. I've had no small measure of success with basic ACM tactics like the Thach Weave and some formation flying in a game at the weekend meant I was able to "cross the T" with my fleet of trusty Ys. It was like Master & Commander with droids, so it was.

Scenario play's actually a lot of fun too - each of the medium ships comes with a scenario, and there are three in the base game. The large ships (transport and Blockade runner) and the forthcoming Imperial Aces box all have scenarios too, and those change play in ways that are quite interesting. THe default 3'x3' play area does tend to produce furballs in the middle, but ships like the A-Wing and the Interceptor add to that with all sorts of flanking shenanigans.

Basically, as Matthew says, however much you love Star Wars the time you'll fall in love with the game is when you do something cunning and totally supported by the rules. I can scarcely talk about it without swooping my hands about.

agony

Validated User
I own a lot of ships and have played several times, we're all a fan. We enjoyed Wings of War before X-Wing though, so no surprise. Wish we could play it more but just too many games to get to.

Praetorian

Go Rangers!
Validated User
I'm all the way over in south asia, but from the internet traffic this game seems to really be taking off.

Rocket Propelled Grenade

Freelance Merc For Hire
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm a huge fan. I have at least one of every ship so far. I'm not sure if I'll buy into the variant with the capital ships, but I love the base game. Simple to get into, difficult to truly master. Production values on the minis and tokens are pretty high as well.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I played a lot of Wave 1 and 2, but have not been able to play as much since Thanksgiving. Love the game. One thing I wish for is simply larger play areas, but that's a problem that's limited by room and table size more than anything.

Scenario play's actually a lot of fun too - each of the medium ships comes with a scenario, and there are three in the base game. The large ships (transport and Blockade runner) and the forthcoming Imperial Aces box all have scenarios too, and those change play in ways that are quite interesting. THe default 3'x3' play area does tend to produce furballs in the middle, but ships like the A-Wing and the Interceptor add to that with all sorts of flanking shenanigans.
Whether or not you use Asteroids also changes tactics and the flow of a game a lot (especially large format ships).

Top Bottom