• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

X-Wing Miniatures.

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
Well, I have the newest edition now.

The two TIEs in my starter kit have the pegs on at weird angles, but that just makes them look like they're in motion (and I have a ton of TIEs anyway), so I don't view that as a huge issue.

Rocket Propelled Grenade

Freelance Merc For Hire
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I finally grabbed the new edition as well, although I have yet to play it. Still need more conversion kits, as well--only grabbed the Imperial one to start.

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
My first, starter-only outing had Luke vs. Iden Versio and Valen Rudor. Luke didn't take a scratch the entire game, which was a nuisance for me, because I was running the TIEs.

(At the same time, Luke's ability is probably at its best against basic TIEs; I suspect that against, for example, torpedo volleys it would be less effective.)

wilder

Validated User
Hello All

One questions.

If i want to make a tie swarm, should i buy an extra x-wing core set? or buy the tie fighter expansion?
money wise, my initial thoughts would be to get one extra x-wing core set

FYI. for first edition, i have 2 x-wing force awakening core set and Imperial conversion set ( i have Imperial ships other than tie fighter/IN )

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
In 1E, you'd want to get at least one individual TIE because it had different pilots and upgrades. I assume that's still the case in 2E, but I don't know whether it's stuff you'd already have from the conversion kit.

Gideon

Validated User
Hello All

One questions.

If i want to make a tie swarm, should i buy an extra x-wing core set? or buy the tie fighter expansion?
money wise, my initial thoughts would be to get one extra x-wing core set

FYI. for first edition, i have 2 x-wing force awakening core set and Imperial conversion set ( i have Imperial ships other than tie fighter/IN )
There's enough cards in the 2nd ed conversions to make a good number of TIEs and X-WIngs. If you already have the models then there probably isn't any need to buy more than one core set. Eg there're enough dials in the conversion kit for 4 TIEs, but iirc there are many more ship cards and pilot cards etc, so you could have 6 TIEs but field a good number of different TIE combos.

wilder

Validated User
aaahh thanks for the advice all.

i don`t have enough model for Imperial Tie fighter/IN and X-wing T-65. Guess i will buy another 2nd edition core set

smug

Better you better you bet
Validated User
I just got back into this (having stopped First edition probably about Wave III or IV), now my son is old enough to be interested in playing. I did get a bunch of 1e stuff and conversion kits--essentially, I'm just going to run the three old factions--and I'll probably get into 2.0 Epic if/when it appears. I have a couple of large (four-drawer) Plano containers, which will help solve the old problems I had, and am going to three-ring binders with Ultra-pro card-holders for the pilot and upgrade cards. So, things are much neater now than they were before, even though I now have (many) more ships.

I am feeling like I'll just stick with Quick Builds for now; I've got enough stuff that we can do a whole bunch of quick-build and get variety. I also have approximately zero interest in tournament play, or even playing casually at the game store, so the future in this will depend on my kids and wife being interested in continuing to play with me (so far, so good). 2.0 feels a lot better then 1.0, but I haven't played enough to really be confident that's true, yet (maybe I just like it because I spent $350 on it?).

One thing I did wonder, how people have found the Fly Casual computer simulator?

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
I just got back into this (having stopped First edition probably about Wave III or IV), now my son is old enough to be interested in playing. I did get a bunch of 1e stuff and conversion kits--essentially, I'm just going to run the three old factions--and I'll probably get into 2.0 Epic if/when it appears. I have a couple of large (four-drawer) Plano containers, which will help solve the old problems I had, and am going to three-ring binders with Ultra-pro card-holders for the pilot and upgrade cards. So, things are much neater now than they were before, even though I now have (many) more ships.

I am feeling like I'll just stick with Quick Builds for now; I've got enough stuff that we can do a whole bunch of quick-build and get variety. I also have approximately zero interest in tournament play, or even playing casually at the game store, so the future in this will depend on my kids and wife being interested in continuing to play with me (so far, so good). 2.0 feels a lot better then 1.0, but I haven't played enough to really be confident that's true, yet (maybe I just like it because I spent $350 on it?).

One thing I did wonder, how people have found the Fly Casual computer simulator?
I find Fly Casual to be really limited because there are some game features it just can't automate. For instance, I've heard that Rigged Cargo Chutes currently can't be used at all because the engine doesn't support adding obstacles after game start. The AI is also pretty bad at flying a great proportion of list archetypes, particularly anything relying on exploiting synergies between ship/pilot abilities and Elite pilot talents or flying in formation.

That said, if you don't want to take the step of finding another human being to play against on Tabletop Simulator or Vassal, it's one way of getting some practice in.

Top Bottom