• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

X-Wing Miniatures.

smug

Better you better you bet
Validated User
I find Fly Casual to be really limited because there are some game features it just can't automate. For instance, I've heard that Rigged Cargo Chutes currently can't be used at all because the engine doesn't support adding obstacles after game start. The AI is also pretty bad at flying a great proportion of list archetypes, particularly anything relying on exploiting synergies between ship/pilot abilities and Elite pilot talents or flying in formation.

That said, if you don't want to take the step of finding another human being to play against on Tabletop Simulator or Vassal, it's one way of getting some practice in.
Yeah, I was mostly thinking of it as a way to try stuff out and see how it works when I have some downtime/am not near my minis to set them up.

Mostly I hope to play against my family (and friends, when they are over)

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
My impression of Fly Casual is mainly that it crashes a lot, but I've only tried it a couple of times... because it crashes a lot when I do.

I think the main improvement with 2.0 is that effects in general are less extreme, which means there's more focus on the basics of flying your ships rather than finding killer combos.

Andy-C

Setec Astronomer
Validated User
At their Adepticon panel today, FFG teased Epic play for Second Edition - basically, it's coming, development is finished, it's going to be awesome. I can't wait.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Awesome!

Other than that, I think I'm at the point where I'm going to stop trying to own everything. I feel no interest in the Separatists, and I'm pretty lukewarm on both the First Order and the Resistance. For the latter I bought a few ships for first edition but not enough that it seems reasonable to get the conversion packs, and so far they're just not very exciting. I would like to get some of the upgrades, but I'm not playing in tournaments so it's not a big deal to proxy something here and there.

Andy-C

Setec Astronomer
Validated User
I feel you. I'm not getting into the prequel factions - I have more than enough ships and pilots across the other five factions to keep me entertained.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would probably skip them completely if not for a friend recently getting into the game who's really jazzed about the Separatists and the Republic looking kinda fun.

Andy-C

Setec Astronomer
Validated User
Some more information about Epic came out at SW Celebration, and I'm getting even more excited. Cannot wait to get my corvettes and transports back out on the table.

Andy-C

Setec Astronomer
Validated User
Saturday was a big X-Wing event, a Hyperspace Trial. I volunteered to help as a runner and judge, and it was a heck of a long day. We went into this with some trepidation - the host store has historically been almost hostile towards miniatures games, and doesn't carry X-Wing products. Saturday was also International Tabletop Day, and the regular board game group was displaced for the day. Registration started at 10AM, with a 64-player cap. I think 59 people were registered, including one little kid with a first-round bye. Play got underway right at 11AM with one of our locals getting the other first-round bye ... and then some dude showed up with some BS about thinking that things started at noon, which fooled absolutely nobody. The TO allowed him in - which I don't know that I would have done - and our local guy thrashed him good, scoring more points in the match than he would have with the bye. There were a few drops throughout the day - six rounds, before the cut to the top eight. Top eight started around 10PM, and the final match started a few minutes before 1AM. The players opted to settle with a final salvo - one was part of a carpool group from Indianapolis and they all wanted to go the heck home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom