• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Xbox-like wireless gamepad with symmetrical sticks (that will work on Steam Link)?

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
Our Steam Link gets a lot of use in the living room, but one of my housemates can't stand the asymmetrical layout of the Xbox 360 pad I got for it; he's so used to PlayStation controllers that his motor control just glitches out.

I was browsing wireless controllers on Amazon and there's a few symmetrical pads with Xbox-like layouts, but it's hard to tell which if any are actually any good. Can anyone recommend (or warn me about) particular models or manufacturers?

Matt.Ceb

40 Years of Unknown Pleasures
Validated User
Why not just use a PS4 controller?

All you need is any sort of Bluetooth capability for the PC in question. (There once was a "dualshock 4 usb wireless adaptor", but a regular Bluetooth adaptor for PCs without it will also work. It was just overpriced guff.

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time translating on-screen button prompts to a layout that doesn't visually match. Remembering that Y on the screen means triangle on the controller is an extra cognitive step that trips me up often enough to be annoying. Even though, when the prompts and controller match, it's almost muscle memory.

Brains, man. They're weird.

EDIT: Also, wouldn't pairing a PS pad to the Steam Link un-pair it from the console?

Matt.Ceb

Validated User
Get a PS4 controller and set of stickers? ... Not even joking: Get four round, vinyl stickers that match the button size and customize.

I got good enough to be able to instantly translate, but for my first few months of using a PS4 controller with Steam, that was my method. :) (I still hate it that it seems that only indie studies acknowledge that you can use the PS4 controller on your PC and include proper button prompts.)

Matt.Ceb

Validated User
On Win10/Steam... Yeah, with some driver-hunting and re-jigging. (A bit of tedious preparation and then it works.)

On Steam Link? ... No idea, sorry. :-/

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
Don't know about a PS3 controller on Steam Link - you can buy PS4 controllers separately, and the Steam Link does support that.

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
Would there be any risk of weird compatibility issues with a PS controller? The other reason I was asking about Xbox controller clones is because they're so ubiquitously supported.

bbcisdabomb

Words words words
Validated User
BetterDS4 and the old driver I used for Dualshock 3s both show up as Xbox controllers in Windows, so any compatibility issues will be directly with the controller, not with the driver.

I'm sure you can also find replacement buttons to put in a playstation controller that have ABXY on them. The only place I can find them went defunct in 2018, but there have to be more.

Top Bottom