• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Xbox-like wireless gamepad with symmetrical sticks (that will work on Steam Link)?

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
Tried one of our PS3 controllers, and it only worked while plugged in. Bleah.

Also talked to the housemate in question, and he reminded me that it's not just being used to the other layout, but the position of the left stick actually hurts his thumb over time.

Melted Rabbit

Separate class of problem
Validated User
Also talked to the housemate in question, and he reminded me that it's not just being used to the other layout, but the position of the left stick actually hurts his thumb over time.
Has the housemate in question ever spoken to an orthopedist about this issue? Obviously, pain like that isn't normal. Depending on the injury and its age, there might not be much that can be done medically to treat the pain. However, knowing that a problem is present and how to avoid causing pain, which isn't necessarily obvious, and thus might be worthwhile.

I tore one of the ligaments in my right thumb like this:
For me, using certain controllers can cause pain. My thumb is not as stable as it should be as the result of the injury so it causes issues for me. Attempting to use the side buttons on a gaming mouse is painful and frustrating. Even when there are only two buttons on the mouse I have trouble pressing the button I intended to press and I also accidentally press buttons as well.

Also, since I am right handed and the injury is to my right thumb the injury has caused my handwriting to become rather difficult to read. If your housemate is right handed and their left thumb is problematic their handwriting might not be an issue.

Also, taking a PS4 controller and a Post-it note with the correct button order written on it, and sticking it on the largely useless, and flat, touchpad of the PS4 controller might be a workaround.

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
He has huge beefy hands, so it might just be at the very edge of his range of motion.

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
Also, some games have mods to change the button prompts into PlayStation style. That's how I got through Dark Souls the first time.

Melted Rabbit

Separate class of problem
Validated User
He has huge beefy hands, so it might just be at the very edge of his range of motion.
The analog sticks of the XB1 and PS4 are significantly improved over the controllers of previous generation. The newer controllers have a much smaller "dead zone" and are more sensitive than the controllers of the Xbox 360 and PS3. This might also help. In fact, it actually took some time for me to acclimate to the analog sticks on an XB1 controller.

Another detail worth mentioning, I injured my thumb by falling onto a ski pole at the age of 13. I wasn't diagnosed with having torn the ligament for 20 years. It also took a visit to that particular Wikipedia page. So, the injury can go undetected for years. It also really isn't especially serious, so his mileage may vary.

Anno Nimus

Validated User
Logitech has a wireless controller with symmetrical analog sticks and an XBox button layout, and it has a similar price point to a PS4/XBone controller.

manwhat

Thoroughly mediocre GM.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd just use PS4 controllers. They work painlessly, the Steam Link automatically translates the buttons prompts, and yeah, you can get stickers if you really need the button prompts to patch.
Sure, pairing it with a Steam Link will de-pair it with a PS4... but then you can re-pair it with the PS4 by just plugging it back in with a USB and then unplugging it. It's no issue, I do it myself all the time once I realised that for playing things other than visual novels or turn based RPGs I do really prefer the DS4, even for shooters.

bbcisdabomb

Words words words
Validated User
The problem is huge hands, eh? Get him the DUKE!

I have big hands and I loved that thing back on the first Xbox. It's not symmetrical and it's not wireless (though a 9 foot USB cable is pretty close to it), but here's you reminder that Microsoft made that poorly thought out hunk of plastic available again for those of us who loved it :D

AilphanG

Eventually you'll be dead
Validated User
The PS3 controller gave me an RSI that woke me up in the middle of the night with shooting pain. The PS4 controller never has -- I think the Dualshock 3 is just in some subtle way poorly designed or proportioned. I've heard other people complain about its ergonomics and praise the Dualshock 4 by comparison.

Regardless, it seems like the controller you want is the Steelseries Stratus, or possibly Steelseries Stratus Duo -- they seem to fulfill your requirements and have decent reviews.

Acquilla

Validated User
Logitech has a wireless controller with symmetrical analog sticks and an XBox button layout, and it has a similar price point to a PS4/XBone controller.
I use cheaper version of this actually (wired and no vibration). It works really well for me and has held up for a few years now. That said, I'm honestly not sure how comfortable it would be for someone with larger hands.

Top Bottom